Location and Uses
Sinksand can be found in various places throughout Lanayru Province. As the name suggests, Link will sink into the sand unless he travels through it quickly. Link will spawn near the outside of the Sinksand after sinking. Some areas of Sinksand may be shallow with a hidden path underneath, allowing Link to cross safely. In the area where the Lanayru Mining Facility is located, Link can see shallow paths of Sinksand on his Map. To pass Sinksand quickly, Link can Dash across it to avoid sinking in it until his Stamina runs out. Stamina Potions can be useful for this, allowing Link to temporarily Dash across large stretches of Sinksand without his Stamina running out. Even with Stamina Potions, Link can never roll in Sinksand.
Sinksand is often inhabited by Electro Spumes, an electrified type of Spume. They will shoot balls of electricity at Link as he tries to cross. Another enemy Link can encounter in Sinksand is the Ampilus. They have shells that allow them to traverse Sinksand without sinking. Link can take advantage of this characteristic by using the shells as platforms over the Sinksand after defeating them. Like Electro Spumes, they will attack Link by rolling toward him while he attempts to cross.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "I have confirmed numerous areas of sinksand. Should you step in sinksand, you may be swallowed by the desert. Bodily danger has increased by 30%." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Readings indicate that there is a submerged path beneath the sinksand. It is possible to walk along a route above this path without submerging completely into the sinksand. Simulations suggest that placing beacons to mark a safe route along these paths before proceeding would significantly reduce risk." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "This is the Lanayru Sand Sea. You can cross sinksand more quickly by pressing to accelerate." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "In areas of sinksand, you can vastly increase your ease of travel by drinking a Stamina Potion and Invincibility Potion together." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "You can't roll when you're traversing sinksand." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "These monsters have inhabited the desert for eons. Their defining characteristic is an ability to internally generate electrical energy. It is also said they live to a very old age. Their shells are able to disperse weight surprisingly well, allowing them to safely traverse desert sinksand." — Fi (Skyward Sword)