Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Link can only use the regular lure to catch fish since Sinking Lures are strictly prohibited and will grant the Fishing Hole Man the right to deny the young hero a prize. Because of this, the Sinking Lure does not appear in the past until young Link has obtained the Piece of Heart, and it will not appear in the adult era until the Golden Scale is won. These prizes can be received by besting the current Fish record by at least four pounds: if the current record is 9 pounds as Adult Link, then at least a 13-pound Fish must be caught to obtain the Golden Scale as a reward and unlock the Sinking Lure as an adult.
Once Link obtains the prices, the Sinking Lure can be found in four different places around the Fishing Pond. Its location changes almost every time Link enters the Fishing Pond. To obtain the Lure, Link must walk up to these places while carrying the fishing rod:
- On the big underwater rock by the stream
- Hidden in an underwater rock by the three poles surfacing from the water on the east side of the pond
- On the arched log to the west of the pond
- In the grass on the northern wall of the pond
If, after collecting the lure, Link takes it to the owner and chooses 'Let's talk about something', the owner will allow Link to use the Lure for his honesty. Despite this, the owner will still deny Link a prize for any record-breaking Fish he catches with the Sinking Lure. Once the young hero exits the pond, he will have to search for the Sinking Lure again before he is able to use it.
In Twilight Princess, the lure is a bit harder to find and harder to get. First, Link must catch one of each type of fish in Hena's Fishing Hole while lure fishing to get the sinking lure to appear. That includes the Hyrule Bass, Hylian Pike, and Ordon Catfish. Moreover, the young hero must have obtained the Coral Earring. Once Link has caught all of these Fish and has the Coral Earring, he can obtain the Lure. The Lure is located either at the highest point of the east bank or westernmost part of the south bank of the fishing hole. The line must be cast until the line is taken like it would with any other Fish. The Sinking Lure will eventually get hooked and will be added to the young hero's arsenal of Lures.
Like the Frog Lure, Link must let the fish nibble on the Sinking Lure for a few seconds before trying to hook the fish, otherwise the fish will escape. Although using the Sinking Lure is prohibited within the pond, Hena cannot tell Link has been using it unless Link uses the lure while she is with him as a guide. Should Hena see the lure, she will immediately confiscate it; however, Link can obtain another Sinking Lure in either of the same locations as before, the sinking lure seems to be modelled after a "Spoon Lure".
Majora's Mask 3D
In Majora's Mask 3D, the Sinking Lure is available as an option along with the normal lure when fishing at either of the two Fishing Holes.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 138 (OoT)
- "YAHOOOOOO! This is HUGE!! A new record!! This...this weighs as much as... "x" pounds!! Buuuuuuuut! That sinking lure is in violation of the rules! So, no prize for you. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!" — Fishing Hole Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "What? Do you want to fish with a different lure? ...Hey, what's that? What? You just picked it up? Usually, the rules says you can't use one of those. I mean, usually. But what the heck..." — Fishing Hole Man (Ocarina of Time)
- "Sinking lures are NOT allowed! That's what we call CHEATING! Those things attract even the fish that aren't really hungry. Does that sound fun to you? No. Not only is it no fun, but it's bad for the ecosystem. It changes fish's feeding habits, and then NOBODY will be able to catch them. Sinking lures have been banned here for generations: that's why you can still catch fish here!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "You can't use sinking lures here! Yeah, THAT one! That's cheating! Where'd you get that thing? You can't use it! No way, nohow! Hand it over. NOW!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "The rod with the sinking lure, then? Nice. Just the ticket fer catchin' fishies who hang out near the bottom of the water. Them bottom dwellers." — Fishing Hole Man (Majora's Mask 3D)