A Silver Arrow from The Legend of Zelda
Damaging certain enemies from afar
Location and Uses
Silver Arrows are powerful Arrows used to defeat Ganon in The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past. In certain games, they are the only weapon that is capable of defeating Ganon, who will recover from any wound if not pierced by a Silver Arrow. In later games of the series, the Light Arrows perform a similar role, although they function differently in that they merely stun Ganon. The Master Sword is often used to deal the final blow instead, but aside from one occasion in Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages where Ganon was not fully revived, the Silver Arrows are the only weapon shown to completely destroy his demonic beast form.
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda Manual Comment
In The Legend of Zelda, the Silver Arrow is found in Level-9 of both the First Quest and the Second Quest. After hitting Ganon 15 times with the Sword, 8 times with the White Sword or 4 times with the Magical Sword, Link must use a Silver Arrow to finish him off. These Arrows also deal double the damage of a normal Arrow to enemies.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Silver Arrows are given to Link by the Fat Fairy inside the Pyramid of Power, once the way has been opened with a Super Bomb. These are more powerful versions of the typical arrows Link obtains, and are in most cases, the strongest weapon there is. When used as weapons in the field, they can kill most enemies in a single shot, including some bosses. Keeping in tradition with past games, the Silver Arrows are used to kill Ganon, although it takes four shots to finally defeat him.
Ancient Stone Tablets
In Ancient Stone Tablets, the Silver Arrows are foretold to be buried on Death Mountain, and appear from a Hylian Monolith that also seals away Ganon's Tower from the world. They carry the same purpose and function as previous titles.
- The Silver Arrows' function as Ganon's only weakness is similar to more modern werewolf legends, in which a silver bullet is the only weapon that can kill a werewolf. This may be because silver was considered a holy element in many cultures.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||銀の矢 (Gin no Ya)||Silver Arrow|
|FrenchEU||Flèche d'Argent||Arrow of silver|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 138 (TLoZ)
- "You are an honest person. I like you. I will give you something important... These are the Silver Arrows. To give Ganon his last moment, you definitely need them! I know I don't quite have the figure of a faerie. Ganon's cruel power is to blame! You must defeat Ganon!" — Fat Fairy (A Link to the Past)
- "Link's no match for Ganon and his might. Whatever attack Link uses, Ganon just repels him. But if Link could only use the magical sword and some other object, he'll manage to topple the mighty Ganon. Other object? What's that?" (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 39)
- "Relax, Impa... It's not as bad as all that. If ALL three Triforces are gone, then the evil wizard Gannon is bereft of the Triforce of Power. He will not attack us without it. Look upon today as a rare day of...PEACE." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "What's that? A cry for help! Surely you cannot ignore some innocent in danger!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 7)
- "Curse you, Ganon! This isn't over yet!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 7)
- "A Silver Arrow...of course! I remember!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4)
- "Find a Silver Arrow. If your heart is true, the Triforce will help you use it to destroy Ganon." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4)
- "Ganon, the only thing you're going to get is Justice!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 9)
- "Bah! I will choose my OWN time to deal with you! The game is not yet over!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 10)
- "It is written in the Book of Mudora: 'He who corrupts the land of gold shall fall to the shaft of the enchanted arrow of silver...' My family has always excelled in archery, and it is my destiny to destroy Ganon! I have not yet obtained the enchanted arrow, but..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 4)
- "Admit it, Link. It seems to support the Book of Mudora's prophecy that only the enchanted arrow can defeat the one who corrupted this world. You are stubborn and foolish... I will defeat Ganon!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 6)
- "It was the enchanted arrow..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 6)
- "Yes. Ghanti is a Hylian too. And this is the Silver Arrow passed from the Knights of Hyrule. It can pierce any evil." (A Link to the Past (VIZ Media), pg. 153)