The Silent Realm is a supernatural region in Skyward Sword. Link accesses the realm by thrusting his sword on a Trial Gate, found by dowsing an area known to house a portal. The Silent Realm is a test forced upon Link by the Goddesses so that he can claim proof of his spiritual growth. Upon completion of each Silent Realm, Link is awarded a sacred treasure which allows him to traverse a region previously unexplored towards locating the Goddesses' Sacred Flames. The treasures garnered by the Silent Realms include the Water Dragon's Scale at Faron Woods, the Clawshots in the Lanayru Desert, the Fireshield Earrings at Eldin Volcano, and the Stone of Trials at the last Silent Realm in Skyloft. The Sky Keep provides access to three isolated areas of the Skyloft Silent Realm where the individual Triforce pieces are located.
Features and Overview
After playing the appropriate goddess' song upon the mark, Link will be taken into an alternate dimension of the current world he is in, defenseless, and his spirit will have separated from his body. To prove his spiritual growth and leave the Silent Realm, he will have to collect all fifteen Sacred Tears scattered about the region, and store them in his Spirit Vessel, all without the help of Fi. Link begins within a protective circle. However, the moment he steps from it, the realm's knight-like overseers, the Guardians, will awaken and give chase. To emphasize the stealthiness required of Link in this trial, Watchers, ghost-like lamp-carrying beings, will be patrolling the area. Guardians exist in a dormant state as long as Link remains vigilant in collecting Tears. Guardians will awaken after one of three events occur: Link does not collect a Tear for 90 seconds; he is spotted by a the lamp light of a Watcher; or he stumbles upon Waking Water. The nine-petaled flower at the top of the Spirit Vessel acts as a timer; each petal represents 10 seconds, and when all petals are shed, the Guardians awaken and begin to chase after Link. Every time the Guardians awaken, the stunning effect of the Tears is canceled until Link manages to find another. After only one hit from any Guardian, Link must restart the entire trial. The locations of the Tears Link has collected will be marked on the Map, easing future attempts if Link fails the trial.
To help him find the remaining Sacred Tears, Link can pick up a Light Fruit to reveal their locations, in a fashion similar to that of beacons, for 30 seconds. After Link rescues all fifteen Sacred Tears, he must safely return to the mark without being noticed by the Watchers.
Dusk Relics are strangely abundant in Silent Realms, and are the only Collectibles that exist at all during these events. Dusk Relics are needed for several upgrades. If Link does not receive the amount of Dusk Relics he needs after completing all of the Silent Realms, he can explore them again in Lanayru's Lightning Round to collect more.
- The ethereal, quiet presence of the Silent Realm is what sets it apart from the natural world; it is slightly reminiscent of the Twilight Realm regions from Twilight Princess.
- It is also very similar to the Temple of the Ocean King from Phantom Hourglass, as both have time limits and feature invincible patrollers that make Link faint with one attack, flying enemies that summon said patrollers, and mysterious water that also summons them.
- The background music of a Silent Realm is a softer, more ethereal version of the corresponding area's usual theme.
- Before release, the Silent Realm was known as the Siren Realm before it had a name change. This explains why the hylian letters around the protective circle in the Silent Realm spell out the word SIREN.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||サイレンの世界 (Sairen no Sekai)||Siren World|
- "The Silent Realm is a spiritual realm." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 58)
- "The trial will continue until you exit the Silent Realm. Proceed with caution on your way back to the entrance so that you can claim proof of your spiritual growth." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "They are domains of the spirit accessible only to the goddess' chosen hero." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "When this vessel is full, it will signify you have completed the trial, allowing your spirit to grow. This, in turn, will allow the Goddess to bless you with a new power." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Your spirit has temporarily separated from your physical body so that you may undertake this challenge." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "That is a Tear of Farore. You will need to collect 15 of them." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the Spirit Vessel! This mysterious plant represents your spirit, Link." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "As you know by now, I cannot follow you. The trial calls out to your mind alone, as it is in every Silent Realm." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "To fill the Spirit Vessel, you need to search for something known as a Tear of Farore. There are many of them spread across this strange world." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "If you take even a single step outside the protective circle you stand in, the Guardians of this realm will wake up and pursue you, Master." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "You got a Tear of Farore! This object's power halts the movements of the Guardians for 90 seconds." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The unusual liquid substance that covers that area is known as Waking Water, and it has certain unique properties. If you make contact with Waking Water, the Guardians will be immediately alerted to your presence." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "If a Guardian manages to land even a single hit on you, your spirit will shatter and you will fail the trial." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The locations of tears you have gathered during your trial are marked on the map." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "You got a Light Fruit! This mysterious fruit enables you to see beacons over the positions of Sacred Tears for 30 seconds!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The game’s Siren Realm has a new name. An editor who worked on the Game Informer article for the magazine’s upcoming issue has said that the world is now called the Silent Realm." — Zelda: Skyward Sword's Siren Realm sees a small name change, .
- Siren Realm