The Shovel from Phantom Hourglass
|Comparable Item(s)||Mole Mitts|
The Shovel is a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series. It is used to dig up treasures and, occasionally, even enemies from beneath the soil. The Shovel may also be used to unearth secret holes that lead to otherwise unreachable passages.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, the Shovel is given to Link by the Flute Boy in the Haunted Grove. Its primary use is to find his hidden Flute. After finding the Flute, it will replace the Shovel. It can still be used in the Dark World's Digging Game located southwest of the Village of Outcasts.
In Link's Awakening, the Deluxe Shovel can be purchased from the Town Tool Shop in Mabe Village for 200 Rupees. It is used find the Slime Key at the end of the Pothole Field. It can also be used to find some of the Secret Seashells which are scattered across Koholint Island. It, among other items, can also be traded at the end of the games Trading Sequence to obtain the Boomerang.
In Oracle of Ages, Link obtains the Shovel from a worker inside the Black Tower. He can use it to remove dirt piles. In Oracle of Seasons, Link obtains the Shovel from Holly after entering her home from the chimney. He can use it to remove the snow around her house.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, the Shovel can be upgraded to the Level 2 Shovel by throwing it to a Great Fairy. The upgraded Shovel differs from the original in that it chimes whenever Link stands over treasure, a hidden passage, or other hidden secrets.
In Phantom Hourglass, the Shovel can be found inside a cave in Molida Island. It is mostly used to uncover hidden passages. It can also be used to unearth special, but not always marked, digging spots containing valuable treasures such as big Rupees or treasure maps. It can also unearth Gust Geysers that, when unblocked, can elevate Link to higher elevations. The Shovel is also used in the Digging Game on Harrow Island, where Link can dig up ten treasures for the price of 50 Rupees.
- In Link's Awakening, equipping both the Sword and the Deluxe Shovel and pressing both buttons makes Link attack while digging.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Shovel||Deluxe Shovel (LA)|
|FrenchCA||Pelle||Pelle de qualité|
- "SHOVEL" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 393 (ALttP&FS))
- "Then I will lend you my shovel. Good luck!" — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "Before I came here I buried my flute there, along with some flower seeds. Will you try to find it for me?" — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "Welcome to the treasure field. The object is to dig as many holes as you can in 30 seconds. Any treasures you dig up will be yours to keep." — Digging Game Owner (A Link to the Past)
- "However, there are special digging spots that contain valuable treasure, such as big Rupees or treasure maps. These special patches are often marked by a slight discolorations in the soil. There also are unmarked spots, though, so you must find clues that tell you just where to dig." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 12)
- "Some of these geysers are plugged up by soil, so you must use the Shovel to dig out the blockage." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 15)