Link can learn the Shield Bash ability after first acquiring a Shield. The Knight Commander Eagus teaches Link this ability at the Sparring Hall. To perform the Shield Bash, Link must ready his Shield right before an enemy attacks him. The force from his Shield arm will repel the enemy's attack. The Shield Bash gives Link an opening to strike his opponent. The technique is useful against enemies who throw weapons or refuse to give an opening. Using the Shield Bash to parry an attack requires perfect timing in battle. Link can practice this ability on the Defense-practice Log in the Sparring Hall.
- "This technique is called a shield bash, and it will make the enemy recoil, giving you an opening in which to attack." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "... Get a shield and come back here! Then I'll be able to teach you the secrets of defense!..." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "If you're not sure how to use a shield, Knight Commander Eagus at the Sparring Hall will happily teach you." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "If you ready your shield before an enemy attacks you, the force from your shield arm will repel the enemy's attack." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "This technique is very useful against enemies who throw weapons at you or just refuse to give you an opening for attack." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "In a real battle, pulling off a defensive shield maneuver requires perfect timing. Believe me, you really don't want to miss." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Why don't you put what you learned to use with that defense-practice log?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)