|Counterpart(s)||Thief Girl (Lorulean)|
The Shady Guy is a character in A Link Between Worlds.
The Shady Guy is first seen in Kakariko Village standing below Sahasrahla's House. When spoken to, he behaves defensively, laying claim to his innocence. Later, when Link visits Zora's Domain, a Zora Underling will tell the young hero that he saw a strange guy vaulting over the gap to Zora's Domain. When Link reaches the throne room of Zora's Domain, the Shady Guy runs out from behind the entrance in the waterfall and bumps into the young hero before running away. Moments later, Link learns that the Zora Queen's Smooth Gem was stolen and he is asked to locate it to quell her bloating.
Afterwards, the Shady Guy can once more be found below Sahasrahla's house. When Link approaches him, he will turn in the opposite direction and run. As he is too swift, the only way for Link to catch him is to Wall Merge and sneak towards him before reemerging behind him. Upon speaking to him, he apologizes for stealing the stone and claims that he did not know the true value of the stone. He tells Link that he already sold the stone to the Street Merchant and that he already spent the money that he got from selling the stone.
The Shady Guy then tells Link that because his Pegasus Boots make him run at a quick pace, he has been stealing anything he could find. He then opts to give the young hero the Pegasus Boots, knowing that he will not abuse their power. Afterwards, he laments over giving away the stone because of its smoothness.
- The Shady Guy running away from Link in Kakariko Village is a reference to the Running Man in A Link to the Past. While the Running Man can only be caught using the Pegasus Boots in A Link to the Past, the Shady Guy is the one who awards Link the Pegasus Boots in A Link Between Worlds.
- The Shady Guy is based on the Thieves of A Link to the Past.
|Names in Other Regions|
|French||Homme louche||Shady man|
|Spanish||Tipo raro||Weird guy|
- "The bridge is broken. Some guy just dashed by and jumped it, though. Me, I could never do that. I suppose there's nothing to do but swim to Zora's Domain." — Zora Underling (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Youch! Watch where you're going! Wait a second, You're that kid who was giving me the evil eye back in the village! What are you doing in a place like this? Outta my way!" — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "It's getting worse by the second! I can't believe that guy came in and stole the smooth gem right out from under our gills!" — Zora Underling (A Link Between Worlds)
- "That finless jerk probably thought it was just some sparkly thing! But the queen needs it to contain her power! Without that smooth gem, our queen will keep--! [...] She'll keep bloating up!" — Zora Underling (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Who's there?! Y-y-you! Where'd you come from? S-sorry... Huh? I had no idea that stone was that precious." — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I knew that gemstone would fetch a high price. I-I'm sorry. I already sold it. To that guy over there. I already spent all the money I got from selling that darn stone." — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I couldn't help taking it. My boots help me run so fast that I've been stealing everything that isn't nailed down! But here, you take these boots. I can tell that you won't abuse their power. I hope they fit." — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Press [L] for a little while, and you'll be able to break out into a mad dash. Those boots take some getting used to, but you'll figure it out." — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Man, did that stone ever feel smooth. I tell you, smooth as a--! Ugh, I gotta forget about that thing!" — Shady Guy (A Link Between Worlds)