Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Era||Era of Twilight|
Shad is a scholarly young man and a member of The Resistance. He is deeply interested in the race of sky beings known as the Oocca, having researched them for much of his life. He is happy to inform Link on them at any given opportunity. This information is later useful in Link's search for the scattered shards of the Mirror of Twilight. Shad's manner of speech is very formal, taking on an excitable tone when he comes to speaking about his areas of interest. He is the only member of the Resistance who does not fight or use weaponry; he states that, whilst he may be formidable at book reading, he lacks any physical skills or strength. Despite this, he seems to carry a dagger tucked between the pages of his book. If Link visits the Telma's Bar before he completes the Lakebed Temple, Shad will be interested in his Hero's Clothes.
His father, a scholar in his own right, had conducted research on the Oocca before him until the time of his death and had wished his son to continue it. Therefore, he holds his father in high regard and seems loath to either disappoint him or fail to bring his dream to fruition. Shad also makes constant references to the notes his father has left him. He helps Link reach the City in the Sky through his knowledge of both Sky Writing and the Oocca, using what he knows to restore power to the Dominion Rod. Link then uses the Dominion Rod to collect the letters missing from the Ancient Sky Book, which in turn enables him to reach the Sky Cannon in a basement in Kakariko Village.
Shad's name may be a reference to the Rgya Gram Shad, a Tibetan character used to indicate the end of a paragraph.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "That acquaintance of Telma's is in the cellar right now. He is very interested in that ancient statue down below the sanctuary..." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 276
- "That said, if the history and legends of Hyrule are your cup of tea, I'm your fellow! If you're curious, just ask away. At the moment I'm absolutely entranced by the sky beings known as the Oocca." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Sky beings... Isn't that simply marvelous, old boy? What I wouldn't give to meet them! Would you care to hear about the sky beings again? ...Are you quite sure? I don't mind... Really?" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Well, I'm formidable at book reading, but I lack, shall we say, physical skills." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Tell me, where did you get it? Don't tell me you made it YOURSELF!" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Observe this statue! It's the same as the one in the manuscripts my dear father left me. There are many similar statues around Hyrule, but this one seems to be different. Here, look at the belly... There's something written there, you see? This, too, was in my father's notes... It is called Sky Writing, I believe." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Dear Link, After we parted, I tried that word on all the statues I could find in Hyrule, but it was a disaster! How disappointing! ...But if I let something so small get to me, my dear father will scoff at me from beyond the mortal coil. I'm going back to the sanctuary in Kakariko Village to see if I can't find another lead. I certainly hope that if you find any more information, you will share it with me posthaste. The dream chaser, Shad" — Shad's Letter (Twilight Princess)
- "What's this? Ah! It's Sky Writing! Where in blazes did you get this? You don't suppose this could be the word that breaks the seal... R-Right! Let's try it out!" — Shad (Twilight Princess)