The Sewer Passageway is a dungeon in The Legend of Zelda series. It is called the Castle Dungeon in the credits of A Link to the Past, where Link's games are tallied, and while directly connected to Hyrule Castle, it has a separate map of its own.
The Secret Passage
After Link frees Princess Zelda from imprisonment in the dungeon of Hyrule Castle, which has been taken over by the betraying sorcerer, Agahnim, she tells him of a way to escape safely; a secret passage in the Throne Room that leads to a Sanctuary. Upon reaching the throne room, Link and Princess Zelda combine their efforts to push aside an ornamental shelf, revealing a pitch dark tunnel that was hidden behind it. If Link doesn't possess a Lamp, the game will not allow the ornamental shelf to be pushed.
Entering the tunnel with Link's Lamp to light the way, it begins as a seemingly normal, yet unlit castle room, filled with Rats. Link will need to light the Torches to see the entirety of the rooms he progresses though. Running into looked Ropes, Keese and finding hidden keys for locked doors as they progress deeper until they find themselves trudging through a sewer area, located somewhere beneath the moat surrounding the castle. Navigating through this area eventually takes Link and Zelda to a well lit room with a pair of cracked walls that Link can break down later in the game with the Pegasus Shoes or Bombs to find a considerable amount of Rupees. To get back to this room later, Link must find a secret headstone in the Cemetery east of the Sanctuary.
Climbing a staircase in the room leads to a pair of rooms with wooden floorboards, the second of which contains two switches; one is a trap, while the other opens the way to the Sanctuary. If Link pulls the wrong one, Ropes fall from the ceiling. After pulling the correct switch, Link and Princess Zelda step through to be greeted by the Sage who is waiting for them in the Sanctuary.
Minor Enemies and Traps
- The Castle Town Sewers from Twilight Princess are somewhat similar to the Sewer Passageway, although rather than using them to escape the castle, Link uses them to sneak inside.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Agahnim has seized control of the castle and is now trying to open the seven wise men's seal." — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "There is a secret passage in the throne room that leads to Sanctuary. I'm sure the old man there will help us." — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "That ornamental shelf should open. Do you have a light? It's pitch dark inside and you can't see without one. If you're ready, let's go! Help me push it from the left!" — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "Sanctuary is just beyond that door. Pull the switch over there." — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)