Features and Overview
The Sealed Grounds is the first area on the Surface that Link explores after descending from The Sky. The Sealed Grounds consists of a large pit that spirals downward, lined by a series of air vents, and contains the magical Sealing Spike by which The Imprisoned is held. At the top of the pit is the Sealed Temple, which connects to Faron Woods through a small glade found outside its eastern exit. Throughout his journey, Link travels back to this area multiple times to fend of The Imprisoned as it breaks its seal and ascends the spiral path towards the Temple.
After Link acquires the Triforce, which he uses to wish for the destruction of Demise, the Statue of the Goddess breaks away from the rest of Skyloft and descends into the spiral and upon the seal holding The Imprisoned, merging seamlessly into the ground from which it was taken.
Link visits the Sealed Grounds in the past through the newly formed Gate of Time and discovers that the Sealed Temple was once known as the Temple of Hylia. He is unable to explore the Sealed Grounds during his initial visits and is confined to the Temple of Hylia.
He finally encounters Zelda here, and she explains the creation of the Triforce, the war with Demise, the ascension of Skyloft, the sealing of Demise, the creation of Fi and the choosing of a Hero, and Zelda's existence as Hylia reborn. Zelda explains that to maitain the seal on Demise she must enter a sleep that will last thousands of years, and as she does, she asks the young hero to do the very thing she did for him since they were kids - wake her up.
Later in the game, after learning from the Ancient Robots that the seedling of the legendary Tree of Life - whose fruit they hoped to use to heal the ill Thunder Dragon, simply cannot flourish in the inhospitable Lanayru Province, Link returns to the Temple of Hylia to plant the seedling, though he is still unable to traverse the Sealed Grounds.
Link travels to the Sealed Grounds a final time after Ghirahim abducts Zelda and flees with her into the past. After overwhelming Impa, he escapes to the Sealed Grounds and attempts to resurrect Demise. He calls forth hordes of enemies to block Link's way as he descends into the spiral, but they are ultimately unsuccessful and Ghirahim is forced to battle Link himself. While they fight, the ritual Ghirahim started continues and eventually Demise is awakened. Demise invites Link to do battle, and the area where the seal on The Imprisoned once was becomes a portal to a place where they "will not be bothered by distractions."
- Images from the game's introduction can be seen on the walls at the bottom of the spiral.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||封印の地 (Fūin no Chi)||Land of the Seal|
|FrenchCA||Site du sceau||Site of the Seal|
|FrenchEU||Vallon du sceau||Valley of the Seal|
|Italian||Terra dell'Esilio||Land of Exile|
|SpanishLA||Tierra del presidio||Land of the Prison|
- "I recommend using the air vents to move ahead of the monster instead of chasing it from behind." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I can confirm that the sealing spike observed at the top of its head is the same object originally found in the Sealed Grounds." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "This is the Temple of Hylia, though it will come to be known as the Sealed Temple sometime in the future." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "The old gods created a supreme power that gave anyone who possessed it the ability to shape reality and fulfill any desire. They called it the Triforce." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "In his thirst to make the world his own, Demise readied a massive army of monsters for war. He sought to take the Triforce for himself by force." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "The goddess feared for her people. She used her power to send both them and the Triforce into the sky on a slice of earth she cut away from the land. This floating rock became the new home of our people. In time, it came to be known as Skyloft." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "After a long and fierce battle, the goddess, Hylia, succeeded in sealing away Demise. However, soon after the demon king was imprisoned, it became clear that the seal would not hold long against his fearsome power." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Her second plan...was to abandon her divine form and transfer her soul to the body of a mortal." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You are the chosen hero, and I, Zelda... I am the goddess reborn as a mortal." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "To ensure that the seal holds, I will remain here in this time...deep in sleep for thousands of years." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "So I'm going to ask you a favor, sleepyhead. Ever since we were kids, I'd always be the one to wake you up when you slept in. But this time, when all of this is over, will you come to wake me up?" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Do you see that sunny patch of earth over there? I thought it might be nice to plant a tree of some sort there. I imagine it would please Zelda greatly to see a great tree welcoming her back when she wakes from her slumber." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Urgh... Link...? It's Ghirahim... He appeared out of thin air and got the drop on me. Don't worry about me... You must chase after him!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Ghirahim ran through the great doors at the front of the temple. If you hurry, you may yet stop him!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "But the past...oh, the past... So full of possibilities. I shall resurrect him there with the divine soul of this golden-haired girl!" — Ghirahim (Skyward Sword)
- "Hear me, my hordes! The spell is nearly complete! The demon king returns! Until then, you WILL keep that whelp from interfering with my ritual. I don't care if the whole lot of you get lodged on the end of his blade. You will buy me the time I need! Do not fear him... Fear my wrath if you fail me!" — Ghirahim (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah... But never mind that. Victory is still mine to savor. While we fought, the ritual I started continued... At last, it's complete! The demon king shall devour the soul of the goddess and resurrect in his full glory!" — Ghirahim (Skyward Sword)
- "Very well, then. I shall prepare a place for us where we will not be bothered by distractions. If you still have the courage to face me, seek me here." — Demise (Skyward Sword)
|Hyrule in Skyward Sword|
|Click on a location|