Features and Overview
In The Adventure of Link, Saria is the southernmost settlement in Western Hyrule. It borders the river to the southeast of Moruge Swamp. Unlike other towns Link has visited to this point, he will encounter Ganon's minions here. Many inhabitants, notably young women dressed in blue, transform into Ache (called "Eyes of Ganon" by the other townsfolk) after Link talks to them.
In Saria, Link must find a Mirror that was lost by one of the women living here. The mirror is found under a table in the first house of the town's second area. As a reward, the woman allows Link to meet an Old Man who teaches the young hero the Life magic.
The toll guard, known as River Man, only lets townsfolk cross the bridge to Death Mountain, and as such, he won't permit Link to continue his way south into Death Mountain unless he has special permission. In order to cross the river, Link must talk to a man known as Bagu, but his house is empty. Instead it is inhabited by a purple Bot sleeping on his bed. If Link persists in talking to the creature, it will tell him where the master of the house has gone.
- Chronologically, the town may be named after Saria, one of the Seven Sages from Ocarina of Time.
- This is the only game in which Link speaks in written dialogue rather than when answering dialogue options or during certain voice samples in later games. When he finds the mirror under a table, he says, "I found a mirror under the table." However, in the Japanese version, it displays a generic "item found" message, so this is just a mistranslation.
- An Easter Egg is hidden near the graves in the Japanese version. When reading one of the graves inscriptions, it says: 'ユウシャ ロト ココニネムル'. This is a reference to the hero Erdrick (Loto/Roto) in Dragon Quest. Final Fantasy 1 did the same thing with the hero of The Legend of Zelda, where a grave can be found in the city Elfheim with the inscription: 'Here lies Link'.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||サリアの町 (Saria no Machi), ミズノマチサリア (Mizu no Machi Saria)||Town of Saria|
Water Town Saria
|French||Ville de Saria|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 108 (TAoL)
- "WATER TOWN OF SARIA" — Sign (The Adventure of Link)
- "EYES OF GANON ARE EVERYWHERE BE CAREFUL" — Man in Saria (The Adventure of Link)
- "I LOST MY MIRROR." — Woman in Saria (The Adventure of Link)
- "OH! YOU FOUND MY MIRROR! FOLLOW ME." — Woman in Saria (The Adventure of Link)
- "USE THIS MAGIC TO RESTORE YOUR LIFE." — Old Man (The Adventure of Link)
- "ONLY TOWN FOLK MAY CROSS THIS RIVER!" — River Man (The Adventure of Link)
- "LET ME BE! MASTER IS IN WOODS. N OF RIVER" — Bot in Saria (The Adventure of Link)
- "BAGU IS MY NAME. SHOW MY NOTE TO RIVER MAN." — Bagu (The Adventure of Link)
- "YOU KNOW BAGU? THEN I CAN HELP YOU CROSS." — River Man (The Adventure of Link)
- Lies, my dear innocent child! All lies! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- I know why you fear me--! Because you believe the venomous lies spread by one who is truly evil! A man-monster called... Link! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- He [Link] assaults my mountain home, attacks my servants, and tries to destroy me. - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- I see that your fields are barren. What have Link and his co-conspirator, the wicked Princess Zelda done for you? - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- This is but a fraction of my power! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- But, I must save all my energy to defend myself against Link's treachery! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- Troublemakers! We don't want your kind! - River Man (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- Link and I will help you [Saria Town] build a dam on the river that will divert water to irrigate your fields! - Zelda (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- I told you it wouldn't work! You wasted our time with your scheme! - Farmer (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- Unless... the fields were cursed! - Zelda (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- Only one wizard has that power... Ganon! - Zelda (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- Again, the evil Link and Zelda spread their slanderous lies! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- [It] will restore your fields, giving you all the food you need! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- ...After you capture the evil Link! - Ganon (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- How can we thank you for all you've done for us? - Villager (Valiant Comic Issue #2)
- "Princess Zelda! Please, I must find Link! We need his help! [...] Lynels, Gannon's Death Mountain centaurs, set fire to my village! Many of my people were captured, or injured!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 2)
- "See, how I alone can handle your foes? Stand up and fight, Saria! Together we can beat ALL the fiends!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 4)
- "We have won! All hail Zelda!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 5)
- "'Well, thing do get lost.' Impa sounds a little touchy. 'I hear it was last seen in Saria Town. You might start looking there.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 88)
- "'I'm going to give you some advice, clever lad.' She points to a gnarled tree in the middle of the square. 'See that apple tree? If you can get to it, its fruit will make your eyes as clear as mine.'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. )
- "As Link is reaching for his own snack, he sees something shining in a forked branch. 'Hmmm...' He reaches up and pulls down a small mirror with a thin wooden frame. Link grins. 'So that's what the old lady meant about clear eyes,' he says." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 43)
- "Out of the crowd a mustachioed man struts over. 'There you are!' he says, throwing his arms around Link. 'We thought you'd never get here! Hey everybody!' he cries to the crowd. 'It's Link! Link is here!'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 51)
- "'I'm Nilbom, the tailor. That's my shop there,' the mustachioed man says, poiting to a small shop across the square." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 52)
- "'The king sent word you were on your way. You know what? I'm good at guessing things. I bet you're looking for something, right? Well, everyone in Saria finds what he deserves in the town meeting hall! Come on!'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 52)
- "Link is about to follow Nilbom when his eye is caught by something in the tailor's shop window. He stares at it for a moment, then he turns back to Nilbom" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 52)
- "Link wheels around as the door slams behind him. He tugs on the knob. Locked! 'Ganon will be glad to hear about this!' the man yells through the door. Suddenly, the walls begin moving toward Link with a grinding noise. Desperate, he looks around. There's no way out! the walls move faster. Link rattles the door in vain. 'I'm done for!' he thinks. 'Done for!'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 8)
- Dragon Quest, Wikipedia.
- Elfheim, finalfantasy.wikia.
|Major locations in The Adventure of Link|
Click on a location
|Towns in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link|
|Rauru Town · Ruto Town · Saria Town · Mido Town · Nabooru Town · Darunia Town · Old Kasuto Town · New Kasuto Town|