Artwork of the Sand Rod
from A Link Between Worlds
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
Hyrule Warriors Legends
|Use(s)||Creating walls of sand|
Location and Uses
In Spirit Tracks, the Sand Wand is obtained after beating three Stalfos Warriors in the Sand Temple. It can raise walls wherever the green orb of the Sand Wand touches, which is controlled by the Stylus. Each cube-shaped segment of the sand walls will stay intact for four seconds. Link can use it below his feet to raise himself to higher ground, as well as to roll boulders, flip puzzle blocks, trap certain enemies, find items hidden beneath sand, and allow Phantom Zelda to move across sand where she would normally sink. The Sand Wand's utility is also quicksand-proof, allowing the young hero to avoid sinking in deep-rooted sand. The Sand Wand is also extensively used to solve various block puzzles in the Ends of the Earth Station located in the Fire Realm.
A Link Between Worlds
In contrast with its incarnation from Spirit Tracks, the Sand Rod can only allow Link to make solid walls of sand rise in a straight line front of him. Additionally, Link cannot create sand beneath him. Consequently, the Sand Rod is useless on any other type of terrain, but invaluable on patches of sand. It is useful for creating passageways for Link to cross, both by walking on top of them and by merging with their sides; unearthing sand-dwelling enemies and stunning them; revealing buried Treasure Chests and hidden Maiamais; and elevating enemies. It is notably mandatory for both reaching and subsequently traversing the Desert Palace.
The Sand Rod can be obtained as soon as the Thieves' Hideout is cleared. The Rod was originally rented from Ravio by Osfala, who intended to use it to traverse the Eastern Palace. The Rod remained with him after he was turned into a painting by Yuga, until Link saved Osfala after traversing the Thieves' Hideout. Osfala returns the Sand Rod to Link, asking him to bring it back to Ravio's Shop. From this point on, the young hero can rent it for 50 Rupees or buy the Sand Rod himself for 800 Rupees.
If Link has bought the Sand Rod and has located 10 Lost Maiamais, Mother Maiamai can upgrade the Sand Rod to the Nice Sand Rod. Unlike the regular Sand Rod, the sand pillars from the Nice Sand Rod will not disappear over time. Instead, the Rod has to be used again in order to collapse them.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Sand Rod||Rented Sand Rod||Nice Sand Rod|
|Japanese||サンドロッド (Sando Roddo)||借りたサンドロッド||ナイスサンドロッド (Naisu Sando Roddo)|
|FrenchCA||Baguette des sables||Baguette des sables louée||Baguette des sables de luxe|
|FrenchEU||Baguette des Sables||Baguette des sables de location||Great baguette des sables|
|Italian||Bacchetta delle sabbie||Bacchetta delle sabbie a noleggio||Super bacchetta delle sabbie|
|SpanishEU||Báculo de las Arenas||Báculo de las Arenas alquilado||Báculo de las Arenas chulo|
|SpanishLA||Báculo de las Arenas||Báculo de las Arenas alquilado||Báculo de las Arenas mejorado|
Link using the Sand Wand to make a path in the quicksand
Link trapping Ergtoroks with the Sand Wand
Link trapping Skeldritch with the Sand Wand
- "You got the Sand Wand! Tap any sandy area to raise the sand into a wall!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Someone else is already renting the Sand Rod. He rented it when I was in the village seeing if that was a good place to set up my shop. He was in such a rush that I didn’t get his name. Said he had important business somewhere. Anyway, I’ve got only one of each item, so you’ll have to wait for that item to come home to roost." — Ravio (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I even got myself a Sand Rod, so I’m more or less invincible. Bold talk, you might say, but it’s simply the truth. I’ll get to the bottom of all this Yuga nonsense. Now, farewell to you, Link." — Osfala (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Ah, and I suppose if you’re the hero, then you have more need of this Sand Rod than have I. I wish I could give it to you as a gift, but truth be told, it’s not mine. It belongs to a merchant named Ravio. I rented it, and the deal was that if I fell in battle… Well, never mind. I need to get it back to him, but I seem to be…stuck here." — Osfala (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You got the Sand Rod, but you’ll have to return it to Ravio. At least then you can find it at his shop!" — N/A (A Link Between Worlds)