A Link to the Past
Sand Crabs first appeared in A Link to the Past where they roam near the rivers of Hyrule and Lake Hylia. They have a distinct movement pattern that makes them incredibly fast in a sideways motion, but slow when moving vertically. They are able to cause a surprising amount of damage with their claws; just two strikes to Link early in the game will kill him, so they must be treated with caution. They are thankfully defensively weak and can be defeated with a single sword blow.
In Link's Awakening, Sand Crabs live on the beaches of Toronbo Shores alongside Leevers. They are less powerful than they were in A Link to the Past, but can withstand more damage. In Oracle of Ages, Sand Crabs are found on Crescent Island, in the Southeast Corner of Labrynna. Like most enemies in the game, they are attracted to the Scent Seed. They typically appear in groups of two or more in narrow spaces on the beach, where there is not much room to navigate around them, causing Link to take damage if he tries to pass by them. In Oracle of Seasons, Sand Crabs are found on the Western Coast, near Horon Village.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Sand Crabs sometimes appear in huge swarms on The Coast of Hyrule. In this game they do not move vertically, and simply move left and right at high speeds. If the four Links move cautiously, they can be destroyed easily with their blades and they can get a large combo.
- Lobarrier is known by the same name as the Sand Crab in Japan, Pīsu.
- The Japanese name for the Sand Crab, Pīsu is very similar to that of Keese, Kīsu.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Sand Crab" does not appear as an in-game term in A Link to the Past, instead it was referred to as Land Crab in the A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America. However, as the term "Sand Crab" was officially stated in Art & Artifacts, the term "Land Crab" is not considered Canon.
- "SAND CRABS
Crabs scurry along sideways, and they can move fast. Still, a crab with all of its armor is no match for a hero with a sharp blade." (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 95)
- "SAND CRAB" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 389)
- "In the region around the lake lived Land Crabs" (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 54)