Join The Fan Lab, a private Fandom research community for users in the US and UK where you will be asked to share your opinions on all things gaming and entertainment! Click here to see if you qualify
A wild Sand Seal
|Era(s)||Era of the Wilds|
Hyrule Compendium Entry
Sand Seals are naturally yellowish tan in color and have long tusks similar to a walrus. Sand Seals are native to the Gerudo Desert Gateway, but can be found throughout the Gerudo Desert. Sand Seals swim through the sands of the Gerudo Desert as if it were water. Link can Sand Seal surf by catching a wild Sand Seal, but he must have a Shield and must approach them very slowly due to their sensitivity to sound. Link can also approach them after temporarily stunning them using Remote Bombs or Bomb Arrows. Sand Seal surfing is the quickest way to travel through the Gerudo Desert.
The Gerudo people train Sand Seals and rely on them for travel across the Gerudo Desert. Trained Sand Seals are red in color, faster and will wait for their rider to return instead of running off the moment they are dismounted. Link can rent a Sand Seal at the Sand-Seal Rental Shop Northwest Booth or the Sand-Seal Rental Shop Southeast Booth in Gerudo Town for 20 Rupees or 50 if he does not have a Shield.
Riju's blue Sand Seal, Patricia, can be found in the palace in Gerudo Town being taken care of by the Gerudo soldier, Padda. Patricia is said to be a wise oracle. Padda will translate Patricia's words of wisdom if Link feeds the Seal some fruit. Patricia assists Riju in getting near the Divine Beast Vah Naboris while disabling its legs during the Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest.
The Gerudo people participate in Sand-Seal Racing, a traditional Gerudo competition that involves Sand Seal surfing races. Link can participate in Sand-Seal Racing at the Sand-Seal Rally after calming Naboris. To complete the Shrine Quest, "The Undefeated Champ", Link must beat the current record of 1:30, held by the Sand-Seal Racing champion, Tali.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Italian||Foca delle sabbie|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Sand-Seal Race
- Sand-Seal Rally
- Sand-Seal Rental Shop Northwest Booth
- Sand-Seal Rental Shop Southeast Booth
- "Sand Seal" — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "Sand seals are animals native to the Gerudo Desert Gateway." — Frelly (Breath of the Wild)
- "Sand seals are especially sensitive to the sounds around them. The trick is to approach very, very slowly..." — Frelly (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you are hoping to cross the vast Gerudo Desert, sand-seal surfing is the way to do it!" — Frelly (Breath of the Wild)
- "The sand seals here were all trained by Frelly." — Essa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Obviously, sand seals are incredibly important to the Gerudo people." — Frelly (Breath of the Wild)
- "They're faster, and they'll wait for you to return to them." — Essa (Breath of the Wild)
- "By comparison, the ones outside who haven't been trained will just run off the moment you dismount." — Essa (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's only 20 rupees to rent one! Need a shield, too? Just pay 50 rupees! What do you say?" — Frelly (Breath of the Wild)
- "Anyway, I make sure to care for Patricia so that she'll be ready at a moment's notice from the chief." — Padda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Sav'saaba. Are you a traveler? Sitting here is the chief's favorite sand seal, Patricia. But she's no ordinary sand seal..." — Padda (Breath of the Wild)
- "She's actually something of an oracle!" — Padda (Breath of the Wild)
- "If you offer fruit to Patricia by placing it before her, you'll receive some words of wisdom in return!" — Padda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Naboris has finally been calmed! It sounds like our chief and Patricia played a big part in the whole adventure, too!" — Lorn (Breath of the Wild)
- "The sand-seal race is a traditional Gerudo competition." — Laine (Breath of the Wild)
- "Now that the Divine Beast is gone, we can finally use the race course!" — Shabonne (Breath of the Wild)
- "Tali's record is 1:30! If you can beat that record, that trophy is yours." — Shabonne (Breath of the Wild)