Sanctuary (Twilight Princess)
- For other uses, see Sanctuary.
The Sanctuary is a location in Twilight Princess. It is located in Kakariko Village, northeast of Malo Mart and east of the graveyard. Renado lives here with his daughter, Luda. The children of Ordon Village, Colin, Talo, and Beth, take refuge here after being kidnapped by King Bulblin.
Features and Overview
The Sanctuary consists of one round room with an effigy of the Light Spirit Eldin in the center. A small fire burns next to the statue. Four torches line the walls, each within an alcove. The sanctuary may seem small at first glance; however, it has a large cellar which can be accessed by lighting all the torches in the room. This causes the statue of Eldin to shift, revealing the entrance to the cellar. At the far end of the cellar is a scaffolded shaft that leads up into the Kakariko Village Graveyard. Within the cellar there is also a large room blocked by an Owl Statue.
Link first visits the Sanctuary as a wolf while Kakariko Village is covered in Twilight, during his search for Eldin's Tears of Light. Here, he discovers that Renado has been taking care of the Ordon children all along, protecting them from the Shadow Beasts that prowl the village. Later on in the game, Link returns to the Sanctuary, where Renado and Gor Coron tell Link how to retrieve Ilia's memory. After the young hero obtains Ilia's Charm from Impaz in the Hidden Village, Link must show it to Ilia at the Sanctuary, where she will recover her memory and thus give Link the Horse Call.
Shad can also be found in the cellar after Link completes the Temple of Time. Once the young hero obtains the Ancient Sky Book from Impaz, he must show it to Shad, who will read it and cause for the Dominion Rod to reactivate. When Link obtains the missing Sky Characters and completes the Ancient Sky Book, Shad will able to read it fully, thus permitting Link to move the Owl Statue. Doing so reveals the secret room in the Sanctuary's cellar. It is here that the broken Sky Cannon can be found, which Link must warp to Lake Hylia for Fyer to fix.
- "The entrance to the cellar is designed to open when all of the candles have been lit..." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "We are safe as long as we remain in here, child. Be at ease." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "Fortune has smiled upon us! If things go well, we should be able to help Ilia recover her memory! The Goron elder believes that to help her regain her lost memories, we must piece together the fragments of her past... Which means... If we work our way backward from the very place where she lost her memory, we may find something that will restore it." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "What's this? Ah! It's Sky Writing! Where in blazes did you get this? You don't suppose this could be the word that breaks the seal..." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Is this that book from last time? ...Hm? Are there more letters in the word than the last time I looked at this? How did you investigate the... Link, this is amazing! Amazing! Now THIS must be the word we need! Let's try it immediately! Ah! It has taken on the same shape as the other statues... What can this mean?" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "That seems to be broken, so you'd do well to show it to a cannon expert first, I should say!" — Shad (Twilight Princess)