- For other uses, see Sanctuary (Disambiguation).
Features and Overview
A Link to the Past
The Sanctuary is the home of the Loyal Sage located north of Hyrule Castle. After Link rescues Princess Zelda from her prison in Hyrule Castle, he uses the Sewer Passageway to take her to the Sanctuary. She remains there with the Loyal Sage, hiding from Agahnim. However, when the hero withdraws the Master Sword from its pedestal, the Sanctuary is attacked by soldiers. When Link reaches the Sanctuary, he finds the wounded Loyal Sage lying on the ground. The sage informs the him that the princess was kidnapped and taken back to the castle so Agahnim could use her to open the Seven Sages' seal.
The Sanctuary is last seen during the ending credits, showing that the Loyal Sage has fully recovered from his wounds.
The Sanctuary is located in Kakariko Village, northeast of Malo Mart and east of the graveyard. Renado lives here with his daughter, Luda. The children of Ordon Village, Colin, Talo, and Beth, take refuge here after being kidnapped by King Bulblin.
The Sanctuary consists of one round room with an effigy of the Light Spirit Eldin in the center. A small fire burns next to the statue. Four torches line the walls, each within an alcove. The sanctuary may seem small at first glance; however, it has a large cellar which can be accessed by lighting all the torches in the room. This causes the statue of Eldin to shift, revealing the entrance to the cellar. At the far end of the cellar is a scaffolded shaft that leads up into the Kakariko Village Graveyard. Within the cellar there is also a large room blocked by an Owl Statue.
Link first visits the Sanctuary as a wolf while Kakariko Village is covered in Twilight, during his search for Eldin's Tears of Light. Here, he discovers that Renado has been taking care of the Ordon children all along, protecting them from the Shadow Beasts that prowl the village. Later on in the game, Link returns to the Sanctuary, where Renado and Gor Coron tell Link how to retrieve Ilia's memory. After the young hero obtains Ilia's Charm from Impaz in the Hidden Village, Link must show it to Ilia at the Sanctuary, where she will recover her memory and thus give Link the Horse Call.
Shad can also be found in the cellar after Link completes the Temple of Time. Once the young hero obtains the Ancient Sky Book from Impaz, he must show it to Shad, who will read it and cause for the Dominion Rod to reactivate. When Link obtains the missing Sky Characters and completes the Ancient Sky Book, Shad will able to read it fully, thus permitting Link to move the Owl Statue. Doing so reveals the secret room in the Sanctuary's cellar. It is here that the broken Sky Cannon can be found, which Link must warp to Lake Hylia for Fyer to fix.
A Link Between Worlds
The Sanctuary in Hyrule is located north of Hyrule Castle and northeast from the Blacksmith's Forge. Link must travel to the Sanctuary in order to deliver the Forgotten Sword to the Captain. The interior of the Sanctuary is accessible only via a secret passage located in the Graveyard to the east of the Sanctuary, which Link must navigate since the doors are locked upon Yuga's entrance. The secret passage contains the Lamp, an item used to provide light in the passageway. Upon Link's arrival inside the Sanctuary, Yuga attacks Seres, turning her into a painting.
In Lorule, the Sanctuary is replaced by a cave containing Master Ore. It is inhabited by the Philosopher. Since the Sanctuary is not reachable from other Fissures to Lorule, Link must use the Fissure located inside the Hyrulean Sanctuary to reach the cave in Lorule. In order to access the Treasure Chest containing the Master Ore, Link must navigate a passage similar to the one found in Hyrule. At the end of the passage, Link enters the cave on a ledge and must merge on the wall to reach the Ore.
A Link to the Past (Ishinomori)
Ancient Stone Tablets
In the Japanese version of A Link to the Past, the Sanctuary is named 教会 (Church). Nintendo of America changed it to Sanctuary in accordance with its policy on religious content. Nintendo of Europe mostly followed suit for its localizations, with the exception of the German one, which uses the term Kathedrale (Cathedral).
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 229 (ALttP) & 301 (ALBW)
- "There is something about Ilia's memory that I wish to tell you. I know you are busy, but please come visit me in my sanctuary in Kakariko Village." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "The two of you cannot stay together, so I shall hide Princess Zelda here." — Loyal Sage (A Link to the Past)
- "Link! Help! The soldiers are coming to the Sanctuary! AIEEEEEEE! ... ... ..." — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "Link! You are a second too late. I have failed... Zelda... The soldiers have abducted her. They have taken her to the castle. You must find her before the wizard works his magic. Please...You are our only hope..." — Loyal Sage (A Link to the Past)
- "The entrance to the cellar is designed to open when all of the candles have been lit..." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "We are safe as long as we remain in here, child. Be at ease." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "Fortune has smiled upon us! If things go well, we should be able to help Ilia recover her memory! The Goron elder believes that to help her regain her lost memories, we must piece together the fragments of her past... Which means... If we work our way backward from the very place where she lost her memory, we may find something that will restore it." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "What's this? Ah! It's Sky Writing! Where in blazes did you get this? You don't suppose this could be the word that breaks the seal..." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Is this that book from last time? ...Hm? Are there more letters in the word than the last time I looked at this? How did you investigate the... Link, this is amazing! Amazing! Now THIS must be the word we need! Let's try it immediately! Ah! It has taken on the same shape as the other statues... What can this mean?" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "That seems to be broken, so you'd do well to show it to a cannon expert first, I should say!" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Dampé once heard the Priest talking about a secret way into the Sanctuary, hidden right in my Graveyard." — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Th-th-the doors are shut tight. Can't get them open" — Dampé (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You got the lamp!" — N/A (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Yes...and were he successful, the master of evil would marshal his forces against this world again!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 14)
- "Princess Zelda... Come back to the castle quietly! Even if you run to the ends of Hyrule, you will not escape me!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 15)
- "It's no use fighting Agahnim with an ordinary sword! You need the Master Sword of legends past!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 17)
- "There's just one thing! The Master Sword--where is it?!" (A Link to the Past comic (Nintendo Power) pg. 18)
|Locations in A Link to the Past|
|Locations in the Light World||Locations in the Dark World|
Click on a location
Click on a location