The Salvage Arm as seen in-game
|Use(s)||Salvaging Treasure Chests from the sea floor|
|Comparable Item(s)||Grappling Hook|
Location and Use
The Salvage Arm is bought from Eddo at his garage. Unlike the Cannon, the price of the salvage arm varies between 200 and 1,000 Rupees and is determined by how loud Link yells (by using the Nintendo DS microphone).
The Salvage Arm allows Link to pull Treasure Chests off the sea floor. Once a Treasure Map has been found and occasionally when a Pirate Ship is sunk, an 'X' mark will appear on the Sea Chart. This is where treasure can be found. If Link tries to salvage somewhere with no mark, though, he won't get any treasure. Once Link activates the Salvage Arm, the young hero enters a mini-game in which he must lower and retrieve the claw while avoiding obstacles such as rocky walls and Octomines, an underwater form of Octorok. There are also Rupees in bubbles that can be collected. Once Link reaches the treasure on the seabed, the young hero must to pull it back up, again dodging the obstacles.
The Salvage Arm has a life gauge. It has five life points which are reduced by one for every obstacle hit. If Link damages the Salvage Arm, it can be fixed by Gazpacho in the Shipyard on Mercay Island for 20-50 Rupees. If Link damages to the point where it has no life points left, it breaks and needs to be repaired by Gazpacho for 100 Rupees before it can be used again.
- The Salvage Arm replaces the Grappling Hook's crane feature at sea. In The Wind Waker, when the Grappling Hook is equipped aboard the King of Red Lions, it becomes a mechanical crane which allows Link to pull up Treasure Chests from the seabed.
- The Salvage Arm, though with a different end, can be seen when fishing and in some cutscenes even before getting it from Eddo.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Grue de Récupération|
|Italian||Gancio da recupero|
- "Butter me up all you want, but it's gonna cost you big-time! So! Show me how much you want the Salvage Arm! SHOUT WITH SOME GUSTO!" — Eddo (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Your Salvage Arm is dinged up. Might want to fix that. I'll do dat job for 20 Rupees! How about it?" — Gazpacho (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Hey, dat Salvage Arm is pretty banged up! Gonna be useless soon! I'll fix it for ya. Just 50 Rupees!" — Gazpacho (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Awww, you broke the Salvage Arm, kid!" — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You've busted your Salvage Arm! Unusable, dat thing! I'll fix it for ya. Just 100 Rupees!" — Gazpacho (Phantom Hourglass)