Empowering the Master Sword
The three Sacred Flames are sacred relics used to enhance the powers of the Goddess Sword in Skyward Sword. They are manifestations of the Force, the sacred power that dwells in all living beings.
After Link helps Zelda and Impa escape from Ghirahim at the Temple of Time, he returns to the Sealed Grounds and is told by the Old Woman there that there is a second Gate of Time in the Sealed Temple that can be activated with a Skyward Strike. However, Link must first temper the Goddess Sword with the Sacred Flames to give it enough power to open the Gate. To do this, Link must conquer three Silent Realm trials and acquire the Goddess's treasures. Each of the Sacred Flames is named after one of the Golden Goddesses, and they each enhance Link's Sword in a different way. After obtaining each of the three Sacred Flames, the Goddess Sword transforms into the Master Sword. After fighting off The Imprisoned in the Sealed Grounds a second time, Link travels through the Gate of Time in the Sealed Temple to the distant past to reunite with Zelda. As the reincarnation of the Goddess Hylia, Zelda grants the Master Sword a final blessing, transforming it into the True Master Sword, a blade capable of smiting evil which only Link can wield.
List of Sacred Flames
Nayru's Flame is housed within the Sandship, which was once protected and helmed by Skipper before pirates stole it. It enhances the dowsing abilities of the Goddess Sword, allowing Fi to search for Rupees, Treasures, Gratitude Crystals, and Goddess Cubes. It is rechristened the "Goddess White Sword."
Din's Flame hides deep within the Fire Sanctuary. It fills the Goddess Sword with a sacred light, giving it three times its original strength, and the power to repel evil. After this final tempering, the Sword is transformed into the Master Sword.
- "The Surface is divided into three regions. Each region is named after one of the dragons, Faron, Eldin, and Lanayru, who protect the Sacred Flames." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 74)
- "All the while, Link continued with his task of tempering the Goddess Sword in the Sacred Flames of the Golden Goddesses. Imbued with the immense, sacred power of the Force, the Goddess Sword was transformed into the Master Sword." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 75)
- "Force: The sacred power the gods gave to the world. It's the breath of life itself." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 75)
- "The great slab standing before you is known as a Gate of Time. It is the last of its kind in existence... The only portal binding our world to the one where Zelda now resides." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "...As you can see, the gate is nothing more than a slab of cold stone for now. It is sleeping. Rousing it from its slumber would require great power. Yes, I believe a shot of holy light from your Skyward Strike might just do it..." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, sorry to disappoint you, boy, but for now your sword lacks the power necessary to awaken the gate. First, you and your sword must grow together." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "Faron Woods... Eldin Volcano... and Lanayru Desert... A sacred flame is hidden somewhere in each of these lands. Seek them out, and purify your sword in their heat. Only after your blade has been tempered by these three fires will it be fully imbued with the great power for which you search." — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "The sacred flames are three in number. To obtain them, you must also earn relics known as the three sacred gifts. For each trial you overcome, you shall be blessed with one of the gifts..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The goddess has blessed your blade, and the Master Sword has at last achieved its ultimate form! The sword is now imbued with the mythical power to drive back demons, and only Link may wield it!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The flames of Farore have improved your sword, making it longer and sharp enough to do twice as much damage!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "This is Nayru's Flame, vrrm! Just looking at it makes my circuits hum, vweeeeep. In fact, the protection of the flame is what allowed us to fix the ship so quickly, brrzrrt!" — LD-301N Skipper (Skyward Sword)
- "It was the day of the storm, phoo-weep... My crew and I were navigating the seas as usual, vrrm... And then those brutes, bzzt... the pirates, suddenly attacked us, brrzt. They were after Nayru's Flame, zzpt. My crew was imprisoned...vrrrt... and I was thrown into the sea!" — LD-301N Skipper (Skyward Sword)
- "The flames of Nayru have transformed your blade, expanding Fi's powers. She can now help you use your dowsing ability to search for more objects!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The final sacred flame, which you found within the Fire Sanctuary, has purified your sword, allowing it to achieve its true form." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "The sacred red flame has imbued your blade with a divine power that repels evil." — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Master, now that it has been tempered by the last of the sacred flames, your blade has finally revealed its true form. You now hold the Master Sword." — Fi (Skyward Sword)