Later on, after completing the Snow Temple, Link will receive a letter from Russell inviting him to come prove his swordsmanship skills at the castle. For a fee of 20 Rupees, Link can train against three of Russell's guards, and if he hits them at least 60 times before he gets hit 3 times, he will be rewarded with a Heart Container.
Link can continue to train with Captain Russell to obtain a variety of treasures. By getting between 60 and 119 hits, Link will receive a medium-rare treasure, such as a Dragon Scale or a Pirate Necklace. By scoring between 120 hits and 199 hits, he will be rewarded with a rare treasure like an Ancient Gold Piece or a Mystic Jade. Obtaining over 200 hits will reward Link with a Regal Ring. If Link attacks the three soldiers from 900 to 999 times, Russell bestows him with the title of captain.
Guard Captain Russell may have been named after ラッセル車 (Russell Car), the Japanese word for "wedge plow."
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Capitaine Samson||Captain Samson|
|FrenchEU||Capitaine Russell||Captain Russel|
|German||Kommandant Richard||Commander Richard|
|SpanishEU||Capitán Russell||Captain Russell|
- "If you want to take your technique to the next level, stop by the training room in the castle. We're waiting for you! / -- Guard Captain Russell" — Russell (Spirit Tracks)
- "Mail for Link from the guard captain! Seems he thought up a new training regimen and is as giddy as a schoolgirl. Do the guy a favor and show your face around the castle sometime, OK? Oh yeah, and before I forget, here's that letter." — Postman (Spirit Tracks)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 288
- "That's quite the achievement, Recruit! I never thought I'd see one of my men break that number! Here, take this! You could be the only one to beat this room's record for hits. And that record would be 900 hits! Compared to that, your record is just a drop in the ocean, so keep practicing!" — Russell (Spirit Tracks)
- "Ho ho ho! So you've done it at last! We may have a new captain of the guard on our hands! Ho ho ho! Sigh..." — Russell (Spirit Tracks)