The entrance chamber of the Royal Crypt
|Game(s)||The Minish Cap|
|Quest Reward(s)||Gold Kinstone|
The Royal Crypt is a mini-dungeon in The Minish Cap. It is the tomb of King Gustaf, an ancient king of Hyrule, whose spirit provides Link with a Gold Kinstone that can be used to access Veil Falls.
Entrance to the Crypt
The Royal Crypt is situated in the graveyard of the Royal Valley, which is located to the west of Hyrule Castle and can be accessed from Hyrule Field. After Link has obtained the Water Element from the Temple of Droplets, he is visited by the spirit of King Gustaf, who tells the young hero to stand before him. He marks the location of the Royal Crypt on Link's map, which Ezlo notices, saying that they should visit it after they have visited the Elemental Sanctuary. Link is also told to visit the Royal Valley by Gentari. In order to reach the entrance to the crypt, Link must navigate the maze-like forest leading up to the graveyard, seek the help of Dampé the gravekeeper, and obtain the Graveyard Key. He must then open the entrance by using the Picori Blade to duplicate himself and activate three switches.
Although it belongs to the Royal Family of Hyrule, the Royal Crypt, like many other burial sites in The Legend of Zelda series, has a eerie, macabre atmosphere. It is home to undead enemies such as Gibdos and Stalfos, and it is in a state of disrepair, containing cracked floors, torn carpets, and deep pits that pose a danger to Link. In order to navigate the dungeon, Link must make use of the Picori Blade and the Flame Lantern.
Enemies and Traps
- The Royal Crypt contains many callbacks to The Legend of Zelda.
- The background music that plays inside the crypt is a remix of the music that plays inside dungeons in the original game.
- The sound effect that is heard when the two Small Keys in King Gustaf's room are revealed is the same as the sound effect that is heard when a hidden item is uncovered in the original game.
- The Gibdos in the crypt can be seen holding Small Keys and Bombs, much like Stalfos did in the original game.
- The four statues in the entrance chamber of the crypt are similar to those found in the entrance chambers of the dungeons in the original game.
- The torches in the mini-boss room shoots fire, much like some torches in the original game
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||王家の墓 (Ōke no Haka)||Tomb of the Royal Family|
|French||Tombeau des Rois||Tomb of the Kings|
|German||Grab der Königfamilie||Grave of the Royal Family|
|Italian||Mausoleo Reale||Royal Mausoleum|
|Spanish||Mausoleo real||Royal mausoleum|
- "You want to go to the tomb of King Gustaf of Hyrule? Then you'd probably better talk to Dampé. He's the gravedigger at the cemetery. Nobody knows the Royal Crypt better!" — Hyrule Castle Guard (The Minish Cap)
- "I grant to you this Kinstone... Seek the source of the flow in Hyrule... Only then will your path open... Save Zelda... All of Hyrule is counting on you..." — King Gustaf (The Minish Cap)
- "Of course! The source of the flow! He meant Veil Springs! I wonder what lies up ahead... Well, we know it's connected to the element, so let's go, Link!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Welcome back, Link. I feel like it's been so long since you visited! Looks like you need to find just one more element. Say... Have you been to the Royal Valley, west of Hyrule Castle? You used to be able to get there easily from Trilby Highlands. Nowadays, however, you have to take a secret path to get there. I'm sure it was to the west of the northern part of Hyrule Field..." — Gentari (The Minish Cap)
- "You're going to the Royal Valley? I hear that place is haunted... But there's a secret entrance that will get you there from Hyrule Field. I mean, that's what I've heard." — Hyrule Castle Guard (The Minish Cap)
- "... ... O young one... Child who seeks to aid the princess of Hyrule... My name is Gustaf... I was king of Hyrule, countless ages ago. Stand before me... Only then will the path open to you." — King Gustaf (The Minish Cap)
- "Hmph! Was that...just a dream? He said he was a king of Hyrule. Wait! Look at your map, Link. There's some kind of mark on it. Hm. I guess that means it wasn't a dream! We should head there once we've infused your sword with that element. To the elemental sanctuary!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Normal people can't enter the Royal Valley. There's a cryptic forest that leads into it, and people get lost there. The secret to finding your way through is reading all the signs! You'll never make it unless you read each one carefully." — Hyrule Castle Guard (The Minish Cap)
- "My name's Dampé. I'm the gravedigger here. What's that? You were called here by the ghost of a king? That'd be the ancient king of Hyrule who rests here. I've seen him myself. Well, if the king has called you, I can't see any reason not to let you in... Here, take this graveyard key." — Dampé (The Minish Cap)
- "I'll open the gate for you. Be careful in there." — Dampé (The Minish Cap)
- "You got the graveyard key back! Now, you can open the graveyard gate!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "It may be the Royal Crypt, but graves are creepy, no matter whose they are! Where are we supposed to go to meet this King Gustaf anyway? I'm not so sure I even want to anymore! Can we just go somewhere less creepy?" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)