Robbie is a member of the Sheikah clan who researched Guardians at Hyrule Castle before the Great Calamity. According to Purah, he was her subordinate as a researcher, though Robbie does not hold a high opinion of Purah's abilities as a researcher. Robbie and Purah worked together with Princess Zelda on her expeditions to excavate ancient Sheikah technology, leading to the discovery of the Sheikah Slate. Robbie was responsible for restoring mobility to the Guardians. Following the Great Calamity, Robbie fled to the northeastern reaches of Akkala, where he founded the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab and continued his research. He later married a Hylian woman named Jerrin, who was born half a century after Robbie, and the two bore a son named Granté.
In preparation of Link's fated standoff against Calamity Ganon, Robbie developed a machine that can generate Ancient Soldier Gear in exchange for Ancient Materials and Rupees. He dubbed the machine "Cherry", after his first love. Due to this, Jerrin becomes enraged whenever Robbie refers to the machine as Cherry and insists that he refers to her as an Ancient Oven instead. Around the time that Link awoke from the Slumber of Restoration, the Furnace outside the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab lost its Blue Flame, rendering Cherry inoperable.
Link first encounters Robbie after the Hylian Champion is caught examining Cherry inside the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. When spoken to, Robbie will ask Link if he is the same Link from 100 years prior. Regardless of whether Link affirms or denies this, Robbie will begrudge the fact that he can't confirm that Link has truly returned without observing the scars on his body first. If Link speaks to Robbie while not wearing any Armor that covers his torso, Robbie will acknowledge him as the same Link that fought against the Great Calamity and reintroduce himself as the lead researcher presiding over the Ancient Tech Lab in Akkala. Afterwards, Robbie will ask Link if he has met Purah along his journey, to which Link can either inform Robbie that he met Purah after she technologically reverted herself to a child state or deny meeting her in the first place.
Robbie will then ask Link if he was aware that Calamity Ganon was regaining his power. After hearing either answer, Robbie offers to tell Link his story, which is of how the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab was constructed under the sole purpose of destroying Calamity Ganon and rescuing Princess Zelda. To this end, Robbie prompts Link to join with him in exchange for Ancient Soldier Gear made for fighting against Ganon. If Link has not restored the Blue Flame to the Furnace, Robbie will begrudge the fact that he cannot make any Ancient Soldier Gear for him and asks him to travel to the Ancient Furnace atop Tumlea Heights to retrieve more Blue Flame from its source. Robbie also explains that his wife, Jerrin, refuses to retrieve the Blue Flame herself as she is jealous of the affection Robbie gives to Cherry.
Once Link has restored the Blue Flame, Robbie will excitedly inform Link that Cherry has once again become operational and attributes this to the sheer force of love that he has for Cherry, only to realize that it was really due to Link's actions. As thanks for returning the Blue Flame to the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab, Robbie will give Link three Ancient Arrows, explaining that they are designed to be "anti-Calamity weapons." Robbie continues, informing Link that Cherry is capable of producing other weaponry and Armor suited for this purpose as well, provided that Link pays the necessary amount of Materials and Rupees. When asked about the need for Rupees, Robbie explains that the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab has severely lacked funding since the fall of the Hyrulean government, Robbie's previous benefactors.
If Link activates the Furnace before being asked to confirm his identity to Robbie, Robbie will immediately accept that he is the Hylian Champion. He then introduces himself before gifting Link the three Ancient Arrows.
After restoring Cherry to her operational state, Robbie will tell Link that the next priority is to destroy Calamity Ganon. As he deems regaining control of the Guardians to be too difficult, he instead offers to equip Link with an arsenal to combat Ganon. Link can ask Robbie what Guardians are at this point, which Robbie answers, detailing Guardians as automated weapons constructed by ancient Sheikah researchers. Ever since the Great Calamity, Robbie has vowed to find a way to wrest control of them away from Ganon.
- According to Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion, Robbie is around 120 years old, which would make his wife 70.
- Robbie's goggles are based on the eyes of chameleons, which are also capable of moving independently from each other.
Robbie's name is derived from a corruption of strawberry, fitting with the theme of Sheikah members being named after fruits.
|Names in Other Regions|
From ストロベリー (Sutoroberī)
- "Hm? Hm! Hmm... Yes, the number of scars on your body...just as I remember. Most seem to have healed, but they do line up with the scars I know you got during the Great Calamity 100 years ago. Hm. Yes, I acknowledge you as the real Link. So let us begin again... I am the lead Guardian researcher and director of the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. Doctooooor...Robbie!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "But the director at the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab hasn't lit the fire in so long." — Aya (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Who's Robbie?] Robbie is my subordinate. There, I said it. I think he's still up on the edge of Akkala researching Guardians... Haven't seen him in 100 years, though. So who knows." — Purah (Breath of the Wild)
- "[About Robbie...] Robbie is one of the researchers of ancient civilizations. He was studying Guardians at Hyrule Castle 100 years ago. Oh, Robbie... We're a half-century apart, agewise, but we never let that get in the way. He and I are married!" — Jerrin (Breath of the Wild)
"[You're married?] Yes, indeed! Together we run the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. I've got a son, as well!" — Jerrin (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Your son...] That's right, I've got one son. His name is Granté. Have you seen him in your travels?" — Jerrin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Robbie" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I met a child.] Hm? Purah? A child? What?! She really has a kid? Hmm. Or do you mean that Purah aged backward...and SHE is now a child?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
"[Purah got younger.] Hm? Are you certain? Hm! So she's as crazy as ever. Okeydoke. Knowing her, I'm guessing she screwed up some experiment. Hm, hm, yes. Typical." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Today I met with Impa of the Sheikah tribe and began my research into the ancient technology in earnest. Impa introduced me to Purah and Robbie, other respected members of her tribe. Tomorrow I embark on an excavation with them. We hope to find tech with which to operate the Guidance Stones." — Zelda's Research Notes (Breath of the Wild)
- "Today we uncovered some ancient technology that we believe may have the power to control the Guidance Stone. It is a rectangular object, small enough to be held in my two hands. Sheikah text is featured prominently on it. It is made of an unknown material, but we believe it is the same as the shrines scattered across each region. Impa proposed that I hold onto it for now. I hope that it leads to some new developments in our research." — Zelda's Research Notes (Breath of the Wild)
- "Robbie has restored mobility to many of the Guardians we've excavated. ...But we have still yet to find all of the Guardians. Records mention a greater number of them—and even other types. They are said to be stored in five giant columns that rest beneath Hyrule Castle. The thing is... No matter how I search beneath the castle, I can't seem to locate these columns. They must be buried deep. Were they perhaps designed to sense the appearance of Calamity Ganon and to only activate upon his return?" — Zelda's Research Notes (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Cherry?] Cherry...that is, the ancient oven...is a machine I made to create ancient soldier gear. Isn't she adorable? Yes, hm? My first love... She shares the name of my first love, you see. My wife...isn't as crazy about her as I am. Yes, when I call her Cherry, my wife gets angry and throws things. That's why I call her the ancient oven now." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hey, you! What are you doing here? Hmmm... Hm? Hmmm?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Are you...the one called...Link? [Yes.] Hm? Hm. That's too bad. If you WERE the legendary Link, there would be something important I'd need to tell you. But how can I determine with full certainty whether or not you are the true hero? Yes, how indeed? Hm? Hm, hm, yes. If you can show me the wounds your body suffered 100 years ago, that should prove you are truly Link." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "In any case... I really am impressed that you made it all the way out to this rather remote location. Did you, perchance, meet Purah and borrow her power?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Who's Purah?] Hm, yes, OK. That's fine if you don't know." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Let us return to the subject at hand, hm? Did you know that the Calamity is regaining its power?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I know!] Hmm, I see. Then I don't need to tell you my story, hm?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[I didn't know.] Are you serious?! Well then, I suppose I should tell you my story, hm?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Tell me!] Hm! Yes, I see. In that case... The goal of our Sheikah research lab is simple, really. We aim to destroy the Calamity that has endured across time...to rid Hyrule of its dark influence...and above all...to rescue Princess Zelda, who is now a prisoner of the Calamity. We have worked ourselves to the bone conducting our research. For a time, I feared I'd pass before we could prevail. HOWEVER! You, Link, managed to awaken before this old sack of flesh gave out. That means... THE TIME IS NOW! Hm, yes, yes!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "You! Now is the time to join forces with us Sheikah, yes? We must destroy the Calamity!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
"[Let's do it!] Yes! That is correct! You and I are going to join forces to put an end to the Calamity! And on that note... Sorry for the long preamble, but I'd like to provide you with some ancient soldier gear. Hm! Hm? Did you catch all that?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Cherry...erm, the ancient oven...creates ancient soldier gear. But I fear she's out of sorts at the moment. Hm. I'm afraid someone will have to bring the blue flame from the ancient furnace again..." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ah... The ancient oven... You see, it's a bit out of sorts right now, so it's impossible to make ancient soldier gear. Hm... Yes, I suppose we'll have to carry the blue flame over from the ancient furnace again." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Ancient soldier gear?] Ancient soldier gear is something we Sheikah developed with ancient power. It's easy to make it. Yes, hm! A breeze! Just take the ancient materials that the Guardians drop... And some rupees... And toss them into Cherry. I mean...into the ancient oven. Yes. That. However! The ancient oven is still out of sorts. Hmm... Who do we know who can do something about that?" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Ancient furnace?] An ancient furnace can be simply described as a singular place that gathers massive amounts of energy. Get the blue flame from Tumlea Heights, put it in the furnace, and then Cherry...I mean...the ancient oven will be fixed. However! At my age, it's not so easy to climb mountains and cross rivers. Hm. And my wife is jealous of Cherry, so she refuses to get the blue flame for me... *sigh*" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "You! Link! Listen up, hm! My darling Cherry is back to normal! Such is the power of love... My love made Cherry well again!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[The furnace is lit.] ... Oh... Well, thank you. Yes, quite. Now then, please take this as a gift of my gratitude that Cherry is fixed!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "They are made using secret Sheikah technology. With the addition of my upgrades, they have morphed into... Anti-Calamity weapons! So to speak... Needless to say, they are an incredibly powerful type of ancient soldier gear. I like to call them... Ancient arrows!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "In addition to ancient arrows, Cherry can make all kinds of ancient soldier gear. If you're looking to acquire some, give your ancient materials...and rupees...to Cherry." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Rupees?] Did you hear that? Ah! Forgive me, Link. Ever since the fall of Hyrule Castle, we haven't had much in the way of funds for our research. That's why I thought you might be willing to help us out! With rupees. Losts of them. I BEG OF YOU! Then let's do it, hm? The two of us, as soon as possible, yes. Let's... Conquer the Calamity, hm!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Hm? Hmmmmmm?! Don't TELL me...you're Link?!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
"[That's right!] Whoa! Today is eventful, hm? Yes, downright crazy! To think I'd get to see Link 100 years after he went to sleep. On top of that, Cherry...I mean, my ancient oven...is finally up and running again!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
"[The furnace is lit.] Thank you, hm! Heh, though at first I truly believed she started working again by the power of my love..." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[Who are you?] Hm? Me? Are you serious?! It seems I got so excited I forgot to introduce myself! I'll start over, hm? I am the lead Guardian researcher and director of the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. Doctooooor...Robbie!" — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Sorry for the long preamble, but I'd like to provide you with some ancient soldier gear. To start, I'll hand these over." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Cherry is safely back to work. All that's left is for you to destroy the Calamity." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "But I think it's unwise to try and make the Guardians our allies now... Just...too difficult... I think I'll offer you ancient equipment in exchange for Guardian parts, instead." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "[What's a Guardian?] The Guardians are self-guided weapons built to fight Calamity Ganon and developed by our Sheikah ancestors." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- "For many years, the Guardians were kept below Hyrule Castle. However, when the Calamity struck, they were stolen away. I've been researching ways to take them back..." — Robbie (Breath of the Wild)
- Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion (Dark Horse Books) pg. 398