Roam in his human form
Roam is a character featured in the A Link to the Past comic by Shotaro Ishinomori by Shotaro Ishinomori. Referred to in one of the chapters as "The Mystery Knight," Roam is a descendant of a master archer from the ranks of the Knights of Hyrule. When Roam discovered that Agahnim was sending the Seven Maidens to the Dark World, he sought after them through the Portal near Death Mountain. Roam considers Link to be immature, stubborn and lacking discipline to wield the Master Sword, with Roam boasting that the Book of Mudora supports him instead as the hero who will save Hyrule.
It is stated in the comic that the Dark World changes the shape of its inhabitants based on their hearts, and a person can only maintain human form by controlling their emotions. Thus, when Roam enters battle, he transforms into a humanoid eagle. Contrary to Link, who suppresses his transformation (shown to be a wolf-like creature), Roam considers his transformation an advantage and willingly lets his emotions change him during battle. Roam wields a sword when fighting as an eagle but can also be seen using a crossbow.
Roam first appears to challenge Link for the right to wield the Master Sword, He transforms into an eagle and proceeds to attack Link, who counters Roam's attack and defeats him. Roam apologizes for having misjudged Link and reveals to him that the ancient Book of Mudora tells that the one who corrupts the Golden Land will be defeated with the Silver Arrow, the sacred item that Roam has been seeking. When Roam tells Link he is also a descendant of the Knights of Hyrule, Link is overjoyed and begins to think that the two of them can join forces to find Princess Zelda. Roam is shocked to hear Zelda has been transported to the Dark World, saying Link is too much of a "weakling" to wield the Master Sword and save the princess. The young hero tries to defend himself by saying he has the three Pendants of Virtue to prove his worth, but Roam is unimpressed by Link's lack of discipline and immaturity, and begins to walk away to continue searching for the Silver Arrow. Before disappearing, Roam tells Link that he senses they will have to join forces against Ganon, and advices the young hero to stay alive until then.
Roam later reappears in Turtle Rock, arriving just in time to help Link defeat a three-headed dragon and save Princess Zelda. After they escape from Turtle Rock, Roam boasts that the Book of Mudora's prophecy supports him as the Legendary Hero, for he is the one seeking the Silver Arrow, and leaves to find it. However, Sahasrahla mentioned only a man who has overcome his own negative thoughts and emotions can become the true hero. Since Roam has not, Link fears that this might actually be his downfall even if he finds the Silver Arrow. Later, when Link and Zelda arrive to Ganon's Tower, Roam suddenly appears and admits he has failed to find the arrows. Overwhelmed by his failure, Roam transforms into an eagle and flies up to the tower, worrying Link since Roam's emotions are out of control and could cause him to remain a beast forever. Zelda then asks for the aid of the maidens, which allows them to enter the pitch-dark tower. Inside, the group is attacked by illusions of Link's past foes, with a specter of Agahnim dangerously approaching Zelda. Roam quickly transforms into an eagle and attacks the illusion, although he loses his life dispatching the specter and saving Princess Zelda. With Ganon emerging from the illusion's remains, Zelda takes up Roam's crossbow as Link is trapped in between the trident. Zelda begins to ask for the aid of the maidens and fires an ordinary arrow from the crossbow, but as it approaches Ganon, the power of the maidens, Zelda, Link, and Roam, turn the arrow into the Silver Arrow, destroying the King of Thieves.
- Roam is based on 002 from Shotaro Ishinomori's popular manga Cyborg 009, whose pre-cyborg name was Jet Link. Like Roam, 002 was able to fly.
- "Roam is the descendant of one of the Knights of Hyrule who was a master archer." Chapter 8 of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past comic by Shotaro Ishinomori
- "Roam is the descendant of one of the Knights of Hyrule who was a master archer. When he discovered that Agahnim was sending members of the Seven Wise Men's line to the Dark World, he went after them through the portal near Death Mountain." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "Admit it, Link. It seems to support the Book of Mudora's prophecy that only the enchanted arrow can defeat the one who corrupted this world. You are stubborn and foolish... I will defeat Ganon!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 6)
- "You penetrated the gate to the Dark World... That wicked realm has the power to change your body to reflect your heart. The emotions now in your heart are negative and evil! You nearly became a beast! [...] Yes, Link, but you can never win with hatred alone... Even if you were victorious, darkness would consume you!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- "Do not be deceived by my form... When I do battle, I am transformed into a monstrous eagle by the dark forces of this world!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "My name is Roam! I challenge you...for the right to wield the Master Sword!!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 1)
- "You fight well...or is it just luck? I may have misjudged you, hero..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 3)
- "It is written in the Book of Mudora: 'He who corrupts the land of gold shall fall to the shaft of the enchanted arrow of silver...' My family has always excelled in archery, and it is my destiny to destroy Ganon! I have not yet obtained the enchanted arrow, but..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "So your ancestors were Knights of Hyrule? Mine too! Perhaps we can join forces to find Zelda!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 4)
- "What?! Princess Zelda is here, in the Dark World?! Where were the knights? Why didn't they protect her?! They must be mad, giving a weakling like you the Master Sword and sending you to rescue her!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "Weakling? I'll show you who's weak! I've been through a lot to get this far! I have the Pendants of Power, Wisdom and Courage to prove it!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "I find that difficult to believe, with your lack of discipline, and obvious immaturity... Well, I'm off to find the enchanted Silver Arrow... Without it, no one can defeat Ganon." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "I have a feeling that the time will come when we must join forces against him... Until then, do try to stay alive." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- "Now we shall truly see if one of us is the "Legendary Hero"..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 16)
- "So Roam may be right about the arrow...but Sahasrahla also said that only a man who has overcome his own negative thoughts and emotions can become the true hero... Even if Roam does find the arrow, his attitude might be his downfall..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 7)
- "Roam!! His emotions are out of control... He'll become a beast forever!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 10)
- "Oh, mystical maidens... Lend us your power..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 10)
- "It's pitch dark... I can't see anything!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 10)
- "It--It's Agahnim! It can't be! I destroyed him! [...] The Lanmola?! The Moldorm?! They can't be real! I defeat them all!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 11)
- "You! I'll get it, Zelda!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 14)
- "It was the enchanted arrow..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power) pg. 6)