Ricky is a boxing kangaroo and one of three animal companions that Link can find in Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons (the other two are Moosh and Dimitri). Despite having a pouch—which is characteristic of female kangaroos—Ricky is referred to as a male in the North American and European English manuals. He is capable of scaling large walls and small holes in a single jump. He is also able to punch and briefly charge and unleash a Tornado Punch as his methods of attack. Link can use Ricky's Flute to call him, though this will not work everywhere.
Depending on which animal Link befriends, the landscape of certain areas in Holodrum or Labrynna will change. If Link had Ricky join him, some areas within these regions may resemble a prairie-like landscape with occasional cliffs and a couple of holes that Ricky can jump over.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, Ricky lives in a small yard on Holodrum Plain east of Spool Swamp, which he claims is his backyard. Ricky had faced Blaino in a boxing match but had lost, and Blaino had took his boxing gloves. Link must face Blaino in a boxing match at his house and defeat him to win back Ricky's gloves. When Link gives these gloves back to Ricky, he will thank Link and offer to transport him to the once inaccessible areas of northern Holodrum. If Link does not own any of the other Strange Flutes, then Ricky will decide to join Link and gives him his flute.
If Link tries to take Ricky into Sunken City, Ricky will remark that the flooded city smells like medicine, which he cannot stand, and will leave Link. This may be an excuse not to go into the city as Ricky cannot swim. Ricky can be taken into Horon Village however.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, Ricky first appears shortly after Link completes the Wing Dungeon and prepares to sail for Crescent Island. After Rafton in the past tells Link that he needs a Sea Chart before going into the sea, Ralph shortly appears and hints that there could be a Sea Chart in present day. The Sea Chart is being held by Tingle, but he is unreachable due to the high cliffs and pits. Eventually Link meets Ricky who says that he had lost his boxing gloves. Link finds the gloves south of Lynna City near a tree in the beach area, where he uses the shovel to unearth the gloves. By returning the gloves to Ricky, he then helps Link reach Tingle, and leaves after this.
When Link tries to later venture into Symmetry City, he will encounter the Fairies from the Fairies' Woods, who ask Link to help an animal who got lost in their woods. The animal will either be Moosh, Ricky or Dimitri depending on whether Link has any of the Strange Flutes or not. Ricky would be one of the animals lost if Link had won the Strange Flute from the Shooting Gallery. If Ricky is found, he will decide to join Link and gives him his flute. Ricky's jumping ability is used in the Nuun Highlands, which helps Link locate the three lazy Carpenters needed to extend the bridge to the dystopic city.
The name Ricky is a short form of Richard. The Germanic name element ric- means "brave power", while hard- means "brave" and "hardy".
|Names in Other Regions|
Ricky at Holodrum Plain
- "Ricky's Gloves (Quest)
Ricky's favorite gloves. Finding and returning them convinces him to join Link on his Oracle adventure for a short time." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 136)
- "Ricky was a spirited boxing Kangaroo who helped Link survive his adventures in Labrynna and Holodrum. Ricky frequently carried Link in her pouch, and helped the hero to hop over small holes." — The Great Hyrule Encyclopedia, Zelda.com (Archive), retrieved September 7, 2018.
- "Ricky's not just a boxing kangaroo, she can also hop over holes in the ground and leap high into the air to reach tall ledges." — Oracle of Seasons Characters, Zelda.com, retrieved September 7, 2018.
- "Ricky will carry you in his pouch as he hops around. Ricky's best attack is his powerful punch." (Oracle of Ages manual, pg. 44)
- "Ricky is a kangaroo-like creature whom can hop over small pits and leap onto ledges. After you find his boxing gloves, he'll be able to punch out enemies—including Buzz Blobs." (The Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages (Nintendo Power) pg. 5)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 250 (OoS) & 254 (OoA)
- "Your flute's song fell flat." — N/A (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Spool Swamp is my backyard. If you go south from here, then around and back up, there it is." — Ricky (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ew! It smells like medicine... I can't stand it! See ya..." — Ricky (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Those lazy, worthless fools! Just as we're buildin' this bridge to the Symmetry City Ruins, they go off on break!" — Mutoh (Oracle of Ages)
- Given Name RICHARD, behindthename.com.