Official artwork of the Recorder
Access new areas
Location and Uses
The Recorder is a magical item. It is hidden in the depths of Level-5 in the First Quest, and earlier in Level-2 in the Second Quest. As with most items in the game, it is hidden in a basement room.
The music of this item causes various effects. First, it allows Link to warp to any dungeon he has cleared; if he is facing north or west, he warps to the next dungeon; if he is facing south or east, he warps to the dungeon before the one he is at. The Recorder must also be used to dry up a body of water revealing the entrance to Level-7; in the Second Quest, it can unveil hidden caves, as well as the entrance to Level-6. Lastly, Digdogger is split into three smaller versions at the sound of the Recorder.
- The Recorder from Super Mario Bros. 3 was based on the Recorder. When it is used, the same melody is played, and a whirlwind takes Mario to another location.
- An extended version of the melody played by the recorder is played in the title screen of Ocarina of Time; moreover, the same melody can also be heard in a small sample from the music of the Forbidden Woods in The Wind Waker as well as in the music of the Wind Ruins from The Minish Cap.
- In BS The Legend of Zelda, the Recorder was replaced with a virtually identical Ocarina.
- The melody is also used for the Ocarina of Wind in The Minish Cap.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "By playing the whistle to call a tornado, you can warp to an unobstructed entrance to the Underworld." (Tips & Tactics (Hideo Ogata), pg. 14)
- "RECORDER" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 383)
A really mysterious, magical item. Use it and it'll amaze you with what it can do." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 25)
- "The Whistle is the Treasure of level 5." (Tips & Tactics (Nintendo), pg. 80)
- "LEVEL 2
WHISTLE" (NES Game Atlas (Nintendo of America), pg. 59)
- "The entrances to the Underworld are not always visible. For example, you can't see the entrance to level 7 which is in block C.
However, you can get a hint about the location to the entrance of level 7 from a little old man somewhere. If you carefully think about what he says, you can guess where the entrance is. Nevertheless, you must also have a certain treasure to open the entrance. This treasure is one of the treasures that you could have obtained by the time you complete level 6." (Tips & Tactics (Hideo Ogata), pg. 52)
- "Digdogger hates music. Shrink him down to size by using the whistle." (NES Game Atlas (Nintendo of America), pg. 55)
- "Ah, a magic whistle! This could be useful." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 5 )
- "Looks like a happy ending. Now we just have to get out of here. Time to whistle up a wind." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 5 )
- "Stop worrying, Link. If I'm going to learn to fight in Ganon's Underworld, I've got to practice on my own." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "Okay, Zelda! If you get into trouble, blow the Magic Whistle and I'll be there!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 1)
- "If Link thinks I'm going to give up and call him to rescue me at the first sign of danger, he's in for a surprise! [...] A Gohma!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 3)
- "All right, I admit it! This IS too tough for me! I'm blowing the whistle, Link--come bail me out!" (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics), pg. 4)