Sage of Light
Rauru, also known as Kaepora Gaebora when in his owl form, is an ancient Hylian and the Sage of Light in Ocarina of Time. Many ages before the events of Ocarina of Time, he constructed a new, second Temple of Time over the former location of the Sealed Temple during the Era of Chaos, a chaotic period that followed many years after the events of Skyward Sword. He did so to protect the Triforce from the onslaught of greed, with the Temple of Light, situated at the center of the Sacred Realm, becoming its resting place and the Temple of Time acting as its only, locked entrance. Rauru then remained in the Temple of Light and protected the sacred relic for many years.
During the events of Ocarina of Time, Rauru is not seen outside of the Sacred Realm except in his owl form as Kaepora Gaebora. He helps and watches over Link, the Hero of Time, many times throughout his quest, anonymously in his owl form when Link is a child and in his Hylian form when he is an adult. The connection between his Hylian and owl forms remains ambiguous to the public, being a mere rumor from a Gossip Stone.
The Era of Chaos
Long ago, during the Era of Chaos and shortly before the Kingdom of Hyrule was established by the royal descendants of the goddess Hylia's mortal incarnation, Rauru built the Temple of Time over the remains of the Sealed Temple that was located deep within the Faron Woods in the Faron Province. In doing this, he protected the sacred relic of the Golden Goddesses, the Triforce, from the lustful and chaotic wars being fought over its ownership at the time. Rauru named the Temple after the Temple of Time from the legends of the events of Skyward Sword about a Hero who had wielded the Master Sword and traveled between two time periods. He chose to remain within the Temple of Light, situated in the center of the Sacred Realm, only leaving it in the form of the wise and watchful owl known as Kaepora Gaebora. Knowledge of the Sacred Realm passed onto the Sheikah and Rauru's name faded into obscurity.
Ocarina of Time
After a young Link defeats Gohma in a failed attempt to save the Great Deku Tree, he leaves the Kokiri Forest and has his first encounter with Rauru, who awaits him in his owl form as Kaepora Gaebora at the edge of the woods. The owl gives him encouragement on the adventure the Great Deku Tree has tasked him with and advises him to visit Princess Zelda at Hyrule Castle before leaving with a promise that they will meet again.
True to his word, Kaepora Gaebora often appears to tell Link about a new area whenever the young hero comes upon it, and he picks Link up and carries him twice when Link could not progress on his own. Once Link reaches the Spirit Temple, after navigating between the eras of his childhood and adulthood, Kaepora Gaebora compliments him on his growth and bids farewell after giving one final piece of advice on how to defeat the witches, Twinrova.
When Link drew the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time, Ganondorf entered the Sacred Realm and obtained the Triforce of Power from the Temple of Light. The Sacred Realm transformed into the Dark World, with the exception of the Chamber of Sages, which was kept intact by Rauru's powers.  Rauru kept Link in the safety of this chamber so that the boy could grow old enough to truly assume the role of the Hero of Time. Rauru speaks with Link for the first time after a period of seven years, informing him of what has transpired and his duties as the Hero. After instructing him to awaken the other Sages, Rauru gives him the Light Medallion.
Rauru contacts Link again after he frees the other five Sages. He tells Link to meet "someone" waiting at the Temple of Time before facing Ganondorf. This person turns out to be Sheik, who reveals himself as none other than Princess Zelda, the seventh Sage. Unfortunately, by revealing herself to Link, Zelda exposes herself to Ganondorf, who subsequently captures her and takes her to his Castle. Rauru then instructs Link to save Zelda and informs him that he and the other Sages will aid him by providing entrance to Ganon's Castle. When Link defeats Ganon, Rauru leads the other Sages when they use their powers to seal Ganondorf within the Sacred Realm.
The Wind Waker
Rauru, like the other Sages who helped seal Ganondorf within the Sacred Realm, is memorialized within one of the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle's basement, where the Master Sword is now enshrined. The Royal Crest is depicted directly above him. His appearance in the stained glass window is one of several examples of how famous the events of Ocarina of Time became in the history of Hyrule.
- The exact connection between Rauru and the owl Kaepora Gaebora was left up for interpretation and debate by fans from Ocarina of Time's release in 1998 until the Hyrule Historia in 2011, which confirmed that they are indeed one and the same.
- Rauru, like several other characters from Ocarina of Time, inspired a town featured in The Adventure of Link to be named after him from a chronological and in-universe perspective. From a developmental and out-of-universe perspective, they were named after the towns.
- In Skyward Sword, the character Gaepora bears a great deal of resemblance and personality to both Rauru and his owl incarnation.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Rauru, Sage de la lumière (OoT3D)|
|Korean||라울 (Raul) (OoT3D)|
|SpanishLA||Rauru, Sabio de la Luz (OoT3D)|
Rauru's window from The Wind Waker
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 239(OoT)
- "The Triforce was placed in the Temple of Light, located in the Sacred Realm, which was now isolated from Hyrule. Protecting the Triforce in the Temple of Light, Rauru became the guardian of the power of the gods." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 77)
- "Rauru: The sage who created the Temple of Time in eras long past. Before Link drew the Master Sword, Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora, watching over the boy as he progressed in his adventure." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 87)
- "The sage Rauru builds the Temple of Time and seals the entrance to the Sacred Realm." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 11)
- "By the time the ancient sage Rauru constructed the second Temple of Time in the Era of Chaos to seal the Sacred Realm and the Triforce within, the events of Skyward Sword had faded into legend. It was said that the Master Sword had been used by a hero who had traveled between two times and that there was a temple called the Temple of Time." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 25)
- "Borrowing the name of the legend, Rauru constructed the new Temple of Time on the ruins of the Sealed Temple, and made the Master Sword a key for passage into the Sacred Realm. Since only someone worthy could pull the sword from the pedestal, it would keep those unworthy of the Triforce from entering the Sacred Realm." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 25)
- "The Sheikah inherited the secret of the realm and Master Sword, while Rauru's name was all but forgotten." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 25)
- "Hoo hoot! Link... Look up here! It appears that the time has finally come for you to start your adventure! You will encounter many hardships ahead... That is your fate. Don't feel discouraged, even during the toughest times! Go straight this way and you will see Hyrule Castle. You will meet a princess there... If you are lost and don't know which way to go, look at the Map. The areas you have explored will be shown on the Map. Press START to enter the Subscreens and (Z) or (R) to find the Map. On the Map Subscreen, you will also see a flashing dot showing you which way you should go next. Did you get all that? All right then, I'll see you around! Hoot hoot hoot ho!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, what's up, Link? Surprised to see me? A long time in this world is almost nothing to you, is it? How mysterious! Even I thought that the tales of a boy who could travel back and forth through time was merely a legend. Link, you have fully matured as an adult. From now on, the future of all the people in Hyrule is on your shoulders. Maybe it's not my time anymore. Here is my last advice. Two witches inhabit this temple. In order to destroy them, turn their own magic against them. Hoo hoot! I will continue to watch you... Hoo hoo hoo hoot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "My power now has only little influence, even in this Sacred Realm... Namely, this Chamber of Sages." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "But, remember... Though you opened the Door of Time in the name of peace... Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves, used it to enter this forbidden Sacred Realm! He obtained the Triforce from the Temple of Light, and with its power, he became the King of Evil... His evil power radiated from the temples of Hyrule, and in seven short years, it transformed Hyrule into a world of monsters. My power now has only little influence, even in this Sacred Realm... Namely, this Chamber of Sages. But there is still hope... The power of the Sages remains. When the power of all the Sages is awakened... The Sages' Seals will contain all the evil power in the void of the Realm... I, Rauru, am one of the Sages... And... Your power to fight together with the Sages makes you the Hero of Time! The Hero of Time, chosen by the Master Sword! Keep my spirit with you... And, find the power of the other Sages and add their might to your own!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch.... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time.... However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time.... Therefore, your spirit was sealed here for seven years. And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time! Well, do you understand your destiny?" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "You received the Light Medallion! Rauru the Sage adds his power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "As a symbol of your pact, Rauru gives you the Light Medallion, because he is the Sage of Light." (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 69 (eGuide))
- "Link, the hero! Finally, all of us, the six Sages, have been awakened! The time for the final showdown with the King of Evil has come! Before that, though, you should meet the one who is waiting for you... The one who is waiting for you at the Temple of Time..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "And the other, who holds the Triforce of Wisdom...is the seventh Sage, who is destined to be the leader of them all..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "It is I, the Princess of Hyrule, Zelda." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Princess Zelda...you foolish traitor! I commend you for avoiding my pursuit for seven long years." — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "But you let your guard down... I knew you would appear if I let this kid wander around!" — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "If you want to rescue Zelda, come to my castle!" — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "Link...can you hear me? It's Rauru, the Sage. We six will gather our power to create a bridge to the castle where Ganondorf dwells... The castle's keep, which is known as Ganon's Tower, is protected by six evil barriers. Bring down the six barriers and save Princess Zelda!!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "...Rauru took on the form of an unusual bird named Kaepora Gaebora..." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 87)