Guardian of Nayru
|Other Media||Oracle of Ages manga|
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
|Family||Queen Ambi (ancestor)|
Ralph is Nayru's childhood friend and loyal guardian in Oracle of Ages. Although he is stubborn and hotheaded, rarely pondering the consequences of his own actions, he is a noble character deep down. Due to his protective nature defensive attitude towards Nayru, Ralph expresses a certain resentment towards Link, treating him with a certain amount of rivalry throughout the course of the game as he attempts to rescue Nayru before Link. As Link defeats Veran and saves Nayru from Queen Ambi, the young hero gains Ralph's respect.
Ralph is first seen standing next to Nayru when Link first arrives to Labrynna. He confidently informs Link that he will not be needed to help protect Nayru, only seconds before Veran possesses her. Standing up to Veran, Ralph threatens to cut her in half if she does not release Nayru, but is forced to stand down, as Veran points out that if he attacks, Nayru will die. Making her getaway to the past, Ralph is quick to pursue her through the still-open Time Portal.
Despite his noble ambition, Ralph is ultimately of little help, as he simply runs around in the past hoping to encounter Veran. He does, however, point out a few important facts to Link as the young hero quests for the Essences of Time.
After Link completes the Mermaid's Cave, Queen Ambi leaves her palace, giving Link the ideal opportunity to rescue Nayru from Veran's clutches. Upon his arrival to the palace, Link runs into Ralph, who also heard that the palace guard was let down. Ralph rushes ahead to find Nayru, but not before informing Link of a hidden entrance to the palace interior within the palace garden. Ralph reappears after Link saves Nayru from Veran, who then possesses Queen Ambi. Saving both Link and Ralph, Nayru returns them to the present.
After Nayru's safe return, Ralph apologizes to Link for his behavior. He decides to return to the past, vowing to defeat Veran. Ralph is determined to kill Queen Ambi to save Labrynna and Nayru, even after it is discovered that the queen is Ralph's ancestor. Ralph does not understand that he will fail for sure, because the fact that he was born means that his ancestor Ambi was not killed in the first place. As expected, when he comes face-to-face with the Sorceress of Shadows at the Black Tower, he is easily thwarted by Veran's power.
Ralph survives (thanks to Veran's "kindness"), but Veran mocks both Link and Ralph, saying that by killing the queen, Ralph in turn will vanish, although the existence of Ralph proves that the queen will not be harmed. During the ensuing battle, Link frees Ambi from Veran's control and then defeats the sorceress. Believing that the danger is over, everybody attempts to exit the tower. However, Veran is not finished. Link, separated from Nayru and Ralph, faces off against Veran for the last time. After defeating Veran for good, Link meets with Nayru and Ralph, accompanied by Queen Ambi and her soldiers. Ralph is amazed by Link's performance, and from then on treats the young hero with the utmost respect.
As the adventure ends, Ralph vows to train harder to be able to protect Nayru on his own. He is last seen training with Link, trying unsuccessfully to master the Spin Attack, turning it into an uncontrollable version with greater range. Despite the greater range of damage, the attack makes Ralph too dizzy to do anything except collapse after he uses it.
- Ralph's hair is black in-game, whereas it is red in official art.
- Ralph has a sprite similar to Richard in Link's Awakening.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "I was smitten by Ralph's face when he thought of Nayru. He looked so romantic." — N/A (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ralph is my grandson's grandson's...grandson!" — Queen Ambi (Oracle of Ages)
- "I've known Nayru was the Oracle of Ages since she was a child. I have always been beside her, protecting her." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "If anyone is gonna save Nayru, it's me! I won't let you beat me to it!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! My respect for you has grown. I thought it was over when you got locked in the tower. I never thought you'd outdo me!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Don't worry, Nayru! I'm here. I'll chase away any beast that comes near you! Sorry, Link, but I doubt we'll need you." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "What are you doing to Nayru? I'll cut you in two if you don't let her go!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Hah! Aren't you brave! Turning a sword at me! If you cut me, it's Nayru who dies!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "Veran just leapt through this Time Portal! If we go back in time, we should be able to save Nayru and the Maku Tree! I'm coming, Nayru!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! Did you hear that? They're saying terrible things about Nayru in the village... But why? It must be Veran's work! The truth will come out once I save Nayru! Wait here! I'm going!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Dawdling about, as usual. What are you doing? Huh? You need an Island Chart? I've heard that weird guy has sea charts to the secret isle. Do what you want! I'm too busy trying to save Nayru to help you! See ya!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Hey, Link! What are you doing here? I came to find an old hermit who's studying tunes on this mountain. I don't know where he is, but I bet he can offer a clue that will help save Nayru. I'll find him! Bye!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Hey, Link! Are you looking for something, or what? Huh? Cheval? I know that name. Yeah! I've seen a grave in our own time that has that name on it. But I don't have time to chat! I'm busy! See ya!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! I have great news!!! Queen Ambi has just left the palace! Now is your chance! This may be your only opportunity to save Nayru!" — Maku Tree (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! Don't startle me! You also heard the guard on the palace was down and came to save Nayru?" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "But it's no good entering from the front door. I know! There should be a hidden entrance in the palace garden! I'll sneak in through there! What? "Why do I know about the hidden passage on my first trip here?" Never mind!!! I'm coming, Nayru!!!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Sorry, Link. I was the one running around while you did the saving..." — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "But know this: I'll be the one to stop Veran!!! I won't leave the people of the past to her evil deeds! Forgetting about Veran now would be foolish. If we do, she'll just come for Nayru again! [...] I'm going back to Ambi's age first! May fate bring us back together! Bye!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link, I was researching the past and found something awful! Ralph is a descendant of Queen Ambi! Do you know what this means? Ralph lives now because Ambi lived in the past. If Ambi is slain, Ralph will never exist! I came to try to stop Ralph, but I couldn't!" — Impa (Oracle of Ages) ERRATA CORRIGE: Impa should say: "If Ambi had been slain, Ralph would have never be born!".
- "I came to destroy Veran! Veran has taken control of Queen Ambi, right? Then to beat Veran... I must defeat... Queen Ambi... Umm... Well... Queen Ambi! Veran! I'll destroy the both of you! Then the people of this age, and of our age, will have peace... ...But what... will happen to me..? Umm... Link... Don't forget me. I mean, I think of you...as a friend... OK! I'm going! Ralph can do it! Goodbye, Link!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "You trickster! Fine! If I slay you, I vanish! Maybe it is terrifying... But if I must, I must. To do nothing and live just isn't me. Then it means nothing! I will destroy you! To protect the people of this age, and to protect Nayru!!!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Oh, Link! Because of my kindness, young Ralph still lives. But you still attack me! If you damage Ambi's body, Ralph will vanish. You can't intend to end your dear friend's life by your own hand!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- "You really beat Veran, didn't you? Nice work, Link! You're amazing!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "Link! You did it! Even I thought it was over this time, but Nayru was there. She can't always remain helpless! I'm going to train so I'll be able to protect Nayru on my own!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- "... I bet you were trying to seduce her, weren't you?!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 40)
- "I can't leave the harp to a pipsqueak like you! I'm going to save Nayru! Now give it to me!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 41)
- "... My dear perfect Nayru doesn't have any weak points!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 102)
- "... For teleporting us onto a deserted island!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 102)
- "I'm nobility! I don't know how to row!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 103)
- "Peasant! My family has been royalty in Labrynna for generations!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 103)
- "Wow! You're pretty good, Ralph." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 108)
- "Merely the refined skills of a noble." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 108)
- "Link, who is that? I don't like him. He's scary." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 122)
- "Who? Ralph? Don't worry! He may be stupid, but he's alright" (Oracle of Ages manga (), pg. 122)
- "Thank goodness it's over! Someone was controlling my body. They used me like a puppet!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 126)
- "Oh, Ralph, you big softy!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 151)
- "Ralph is a noble... From Labrynna! Queen Ambi is his direct ancestor." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 156)
- "But you're Queen Ambi's descendant. I know. I possessed you both. If you kill me, you're also killing yourself. But you know that. And you think you're brave enough to do it." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 157)
- "Well, let's just see about that. Go ahead... Do it!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 157)
- "Forgive me, mom and dad... But for the sake of the whole family family... I have to protect Nayru!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 159)
- "Think you can handle it without us, great-great-great-grandma?" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 188)
- "I can't believe by descendant is so rude!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 188)
- "Nayru and Ralph, you've both done well." (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 190)
- "Link was the true hero. He's very brave" (Oracle of Ages (VIZ Media), pg. 190)
- "But I'm the smart one!" (Oracle of Ages manga (VIZ Media), pg. 190)