The completed Rail Map
|Use(s)||Reveals lost Spirit Tracks|
|Comparable Item(s)||Sea Chart|
List of Rail Maps
There are four Rail Maps in total pertaining to the four major realms. All of these maps can be found enshrined in different floors of the Tower of Spirits brought together after defeating the previous dungeon. Link can only travel to other realms after he has retrieved the Rail Map that pertains to said realm. The Rail Maps are:
- The Forest Rail Map, for the Forest Realm. Located on floor two.
- The Snow Rail Map, for the Snow Realm. Located on floor six.
- The Ocean Rail Map, for the Ocean Realm. Located on floor ten.
- The Fire Rail Map, for the Fire Realm. Located on floor sixteen.
Link and Princess Zelda are charged with the task of retrieving the four Rail Maps in order to reinstate a portion of the Spirit Tracks that lead to each realm's sanctuary. This causes for the realm's doors to the Tower of Spirits to open, which allows to impart energy to reveal the Spirit Tracks in its respective realm. However, a Rail Map alone is not enough to restore all of the Spirit Tracks since much of its energy has been lost due to the Demon King's power. As such, Link and Zelda must speak to the Lokomos stationed in each realm's sanctuary to restore the Rail Map's energy by playing a special melody called the Lokomo Song. The Lokomo Song is a duet that Link must perform with said Lokomo using the Spirit Flute and another sacred instrument to reestablish the tracks leading to the temple located in the realm that the specific Rail Map belongs to. Once Link clears a temple, a Force Gem will be revealed, which will in turn energize the rail map and restore the Spirit Tracks in the realm that connect to the Tower of Spirits, thus returning the once-shattered tower whole once again.
Other than Lokomo Songs, Force Gems can also be used to energize the Rail Map and thus restore more Spirit Tracks. A Force Gem is given to Link when a person feels a great emotion of gratitude, usually when the young hero helps them out. When this occurs, the happiness of said person creates energy, which is in turn transformed into a Force Gem. Most hidden stations throughout Hyrule can only be uncovered with the help of Force Gems, which are necessary to fully complete the Rail Map. Moreover, an item known as the Compass of Light, which can be found beneath the Altar of the Demon King, is also needed in order reveal the Spirit Tracks that lead to the Dark Realm: the place where Malladus and Chancellor Cole have escaped to using the Demon Train.
- The Rail Map resembles the Ancient Tablet of Skyward Sword, both in its appearance and basic function of opening the way into the next region.
- Spirit Tracks E3 demo
- "The answer lies above us in the floors of this tower. Four stone rail maps are enshrined there. You must retrieve them. As you know, this tower connects our kingdom. Right now, the tower is filled with an evil energy. If you can get far enough to retrieve a rail map, a portion of the tracks will be restored. Start your search by climbing the stairs." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "The rail map has imparted energy to a length of the Spirit Tracks here. But because of the Demon King's power, much of the energy was lost." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "To restore the tracks that disappeared, you need to know a special song. This Lokomo Song is a duet that requires two sacred instruments. My cello and your Spirit Flute should do the trick! With both instruments playing the song... We can restore the rail map's energy!" — Gage (Spirit Tracks)
- "You completed the duet with Gage, the Lokomo of the Forest Realm! The Forest rail map has started glowing! New tracks have appeared!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "You got a Force Gem! The Ocean rail map has started glowing! This Force Gem has energized the rail map. New tracks have appeared!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "As I am sure you know, happiness and gratitude create energy. Well, I am deeply grateful to both of you for all of your help. I cannot help you directly, but I can at least give you this Force Gem." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "The Forest rail map has started to glow ominously. The Compass of Light has revealed a track leading into the darkness!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
|Names in Other Regions|
|French||Glyphes sacrés||Sacred Glyphs|
|Spanish||Litografía Sagrada||Sacred Lithography|