Rael playing the shawm
Guardian of the Sand Realm
|Era||Era of Hyrule's Rebirth|
Rael is a character from Spirit Tracks. He is a member of the Lokomo race and Guardian of the Sand Realm who resides in the Sand Sanctuary. Like the rest of the Lokomo people, Rael possesses a sacred instrument, his being the shawm, which generates energy to power the Spirit Tracks when played with another sacred instrument.
In order to access the chamber of the sanctuary in which Rael is located, Link must blast the area where the gazes of the big statues scattered throughout the realm meet. This opens an underground stairway leading to Rael's chamber who, after meeting Link, performs a Lokomo Song with his oboe along with Link and his Spirit Flute to restore the Spirit Tracks leading to the Sand Temple. Rael then tells Link of the three trials he must pass to reach the temple before the young hero and Princess Zelda depart to retrieve the Bow of Light from within the dungeon's depths.
During the final battle against Malladus, Princess Zelda sings a duet with Link, and soon after this, all five of the Lokomos, including Rael, join in to form a full orchestrated version of the piece. This melody weakens Malladus and reveals a weak spot in his back, which is necessary to defeat the Demon King once and for all. Rael is last seen during the ending credits when Anjean, along with the rest of the Lokomos, departs towards the heavens after the defeat of the Demon King since their protection is no longer needed in the land of Hyrule.
After Link completes the Sand Temple, Link can bring Rael five Cuccos from Hyrule Castle Town to help him with his Cucco research, which consists of harnessing the unbelievable power the Cuccos possess when they call others as they are being threatened by others and use this power for the good of mankind. As a sign of gratitude, Rael will give the young hero a Force Gem that reveals more tracks in the Fire Realm, opening way to the Ends of the Earth Station.
- Rael is a play on the word "Rails", a synonym for train tracks. Similarly, his Japanese name, Tenda is a play on tender, another word for coal cars.
- "So wonderful you could make it, Your Highness. And you too, young man! Call me Rael; it's my name! I am the guardian of the Sand Realm!" — Rael (Spirit Tracks)
- "We should do what we can to help Rael with his Cucco study." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Indeed. We are called the Lokomos. We are servants of the spirits. They have entrusted us with protecting the temples and the Spirit Tracks. By playing our sacred instruments... We generate energy that powers the Spirit Tracks." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Find me by blasting the area where the gazes of the big statues meet." — Sign (Spirit Tracks)
- "In order to reach the Sand Temple, you must pass three trials. First, you will encounter the big eye that looms in the shadows. Then you will need to navigate the twisted tunnels. And finally, you will face the impenetrable temple. What awaits you there, you'll have to see with your own eyes, young man." — Rael (Spirit Tracks)
- "Let's combine my sacred power with the power of the Spirit Flute! I think we can use them to weaken Malladus!" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "But our protection is no longer needed. Even without the spirits' guidance, you will do well. So I think I will return to the heavens... In the company of my old friend Byrne." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Do you know about the birds called Cuccos? They are flightless. But when cornered, they can call their friends to unleash an amazing power. I want to study this phenomenon more closely... My goal is to harness this unbelievable Cucco power for the good of mankind. And this is where you come in, young man. Would you bring me some Cuccos? The more Cuccos, the better. At the very least, I'd like five. Once you bring them to me, I'll give you something nice. Thanks!" — Rael (Spirit Tracks)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Maestro Ejelio||Master Ejelio|