- This article is about the recurring non-violent animal. For the recurring rabbit-like enemy, see Pols Voice.
A Rabbit from Spirit Tracks
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
|Other media||Oracle of Ages (Himekawa)|
|Era(s)||Era of Decline|
Era of Hyrule's Rebirth
Rabbits are recurring animals in The Legend of Zelda series, their most significant role being in Spirit Tracks. In Link's Awakening, they inhabit the Animal Village. Rabbits also appear in A Link to the Past and in the Oracle series.
A Link to the Past
In Link's Awakening, Rabbits are found in the Animal Village. If Link speaks to the first Rabbit, it says how nice the day is and that they need a song from Marin. Another Rabbit tells the hero that a lazy walrus is blocking the entrance to Yarna Desert. A Rabbit reveals that Mabe Village and the Animal Village are sister cities despite their small size and asks if a Dream Shrine is in Mabe village. The last Rabbit says it cannot go to Mabe Village because of all the monsters and expresses concern for Marin's safety. When Link brings Marin to the village, the Rabbits jump up and down upon seeing her. After Marin's singing awakens the walrus, the Rabbits says he is calling it as always. The Rabbits are next seen listening to Marin sing the Ballad of the Wind Fish to them and the other animals.
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
In Spirit Tracks, Rabbits are usually seen hiding behind large boulders while riding the train, but can also be found behind floating barrels in watery places such as the Ocean Realm. In order for Link to catch the Rabbits, he must blast the object that they are hiding behind with the Cannon. He must then use the Rabbit Net to capture the Rabbit while it attempts to hop away. After the mode begins, Link only has 10 seconds to catch it. If he fails in his attempt, he will have to return at a later time to claim the Rabbit. Link can obtain the Rabbit Net from Bunnio.
In all, there are five different breeds of Rabbit which can be found in their natural habitats. 10 different Rabbits can be found in each breed category, making for a total of 50 rabbits spread across New Hyrule. They are as follows:
- Grass Rabbits
- Snow Rabbits
- Ocean Rabbits
- Mountain Rabbits
- Desert Rabbits
Once Link manages to capture a Rabbit, he can take it over to Rabbitland Rescue and sell the animals to the Bunnio. The Rabbitland Rescue Man's goal is to take care of all the stray Rabbits in Hyrule. When Link manages to catch five Rabbits of any variety, the Rabbit Man will give him a Heart Container. When 10 Rabbits are caught, Link will be given a random piece of treasure. Another treasure is given after the young hero captures a Rabbit of each race. If Link is able to catch all 50 Rabbits, he will be given the First Swordsman's Scroll. The scroll allows Link to shoot light beams out of the Lokomo Sword when he's at full health, something reminiscent of the original The Legend of Zelda.
- "Ahhh... Sigh... On such a nice day, we need a song from Marin!" — Rabbit (Link's Awakening)
- "Yarna Desert? There's a way to get there to the south, but you might not be able to get through if that lazy walrus is in the way!" — Rabbit (Link's Awakening)
- "Hey! Did ya know Animal Village and Mabe Village are sister cities? Yes, even though they aren't large enough to be called cities... Anyway, I heard from a very good source that they have a Dream Shrine in Mabe, and that it has something good inside... Is that true?" — Rabbit (Link's Awakening)
- "I can't go to Mabe Village because of all the monsters. I hope Marin is all right." — Rabbit (Link's Awakening)
- "Hunh? Oh, he's calling me... It's the same as always... Ho ho!" — Rabbit (Link's Awakening)
- "Oh, Link. I often come to this village to sing, too! It seems that just about everyone loves my 'Ballad of the Wind Fish!'..." — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "La la li li la La Li li la" — Rabbit (Oracle of Ages)
- "OK, I'm convinced. If you want to join the Rabbitland family, you'll need this!" — Bunnio (Spirit Tracks)
- "You got the rabbit net! Try using it while you're riding the train!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Welcome to Rabbitland Rescue, a haven for rabbits and their furless friends. There are millions of poor rabbits without a home or human companionship. Here at Rabbitland Rescue, we save these bunnies from the harsh wilderness... And provide them with much-needed frolicking." — Bunnio (Spirit Tracks)
- "Goodness! You've caught at least five more rabbits already? Then here's that amazing prize I promised you!" — Bunnio (Spirit Tracks)
- "You got a Heart Container! You increased your life by one and refilled your hearts!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "If you can bring me 10 bunnies from the grass, you get a prize!" — Bunnio (Spirit Tracks)
- "Wow! Just...wow! You've collected every rabbit out there. I'm speechless... You've more than earned it, so here it is, the neatest present EVER!" — Bunnio (Spirit Tracks)
- "You got a Swordman's Scroll! Memories of veteran swordsmen flow through it. You can now send shock waves with your sword, Link! Swing your sword to send a powerful shock wave surging out!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Shh! Hold back! We're surrounded." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 21)
- "Go back. Go back. Go back." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 22)
- "We mean no harm. Princess Zelda sent us here to find Nayru." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 23)
- "He can speak to us. His ears are pointed. He's a Hylian. A Hylian of the old blood!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 23)
- "What's wrong, Nayru? Sing some more." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 24)