|Era||Era of Twilight|
|Family||Ralis (son) King Zora (husband)|
|Theme Music||"Rutela's Theme"|
Rutela was the wife of the late King Zora and mother to Ralis. During the events of Twilight Princess, Twilit Messengers raid the Zora village, forcing the queen to quickly send her son to Hyrule Castle to inform Princess Zelda of what had occurred. However, before Prince Ralis could return, the Twilit Messengers executed Rutela in front of the other Zoras.
She first appears soon after Link and Midna thaw Zora's Domain with the Molten Shard. Just as they are departing from the throne room, Rutela appears and thanks them for saving her village and her people. She tells them the tale of her unfortunate fate and mentions that she senses Prince Ralis's presence growing fainter over time. She states that although she would give her life for his, she can no longer risk anything for his sake now that she is deceased. She asks Link to save Prince Ralis, promising to give him the Zora Armor in return.
After Link brings Prince Ralis to Kakariko Village to be healed, Rutela appears to him once again just outside of the Sanctuary. She leads him to the hidden grave just behind the Kakariko Village Graveyard where King Zora, the creator of the Zora Armor, lies in eternal slumber. There, she thanks Link for saving her son in his time of need. Honoring her earlier promise to Link, she bestows the Zora Armor upon him.
Afterwards, Rutela says that she will now be able to join the king in his slumber and asks Link to tell her son that she loves him without end. She also says that Prince Ralis should not grieve his mother's death, for she wants him to be brave and live on as the king of the Zoras. Later, Prince Ralis mentions to Link that Rutela appeared to him in a dream and showed him Link's image, telling him that he was the one who would save Zora's Domain and steer his destiny.
During the ending credits, Rutela is seen watching over her son in Zora's Domain.
- Her necklace resembles the Zora's Sapphire.
- Her theme is a remix of the "Serenade of Water" from Ocarina of Time.
- While her appearance gives the impression that she is clothed in a trailing robe, Hyrule Historia refers to her lower body as her "legs." Like Princess Ruto and most other Zoras, she is not wearing clothes, though her fins give the illusion of a dress.
The prefix Rut- in Rutela's name is most likely a reference to Princess Ruto.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "My mother came to me in a dream... She showed me your image. She spoke of a youth who would save our domain and steer my fate. One named Link." — Prince Ralis (Twilight Princess)
- "Rutela" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 285)
- "In life, I was the elder of this Zora village and the queen of my people. I was called Rutela." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "My husband in life, King Zora, also rests his spirit here." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "When the dark ones descended upon our village, I sent my young one, Ralis, to Hyrule Castle to inform Princess Zelda of our fate." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "Please... Would you save my dearest, Prince Ralis? If you do this thing, I will bestow upon you the protection of water. This power will grant you the ability to swim and respire in very deep water as if you were a Zora." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "The dark ones... They raided this village and, as a message to my people, executed me before them." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "Wait! Please, you must allow me to thank you for revitalizing both my people and this spring, which is the water source for all the lands of Hyrule." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "But...I fear danger followed him from this doomed place. I feel it. His presence grows fainter to me over time..." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "But my time in this world has passed, and though I would give it gladly, I no longer have a life to risk in his rescue." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "...There is armor here that my husband made for the coming hero." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "During his lifetime, my husband created garments specifically for the chosen hero, garments that house the abilities of the Zora." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "I am deeply grateful to you for aiding my son in his time of need." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "...That which I have promised you is within this grave." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "Now, at last, I can join the king in slumber." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "And... Tell him his mother...loves him without end. Tell him..." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "If you see him again, please pass on this message... Tell him he must not grieve his mother's passing. Tell him she wanted him to be brave and live on as the king of our people." — Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "The design of her legs resembles fabric." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 191)