Location and Uses
After Link discovers that Groose, Cawlin and Strich kidnapped his Crimson Loftwing and stowed him away on the far side of the Waterfall Cave, Link must make his way into the Waterfall Cave to rescue him. As the Waterfall Cave's entrance is plagued by monsters, Pipit suggests that Link borrows a Sword from the Knight Academy's Sparring Hall before making his way inside.
Inside the Sparring Hall, Eagus gladly allows Link to train with the Practice Sword.
Link will then attempt to leave with the Practice Sword only to be scolded by Eagus because taking Swords outside of the Sparring Hall is not permitted. However, upon hearing that his Loftwing is missing, Eagus makes an exception and allows Link to use the Sword on the condition that he completes some training exercises in the Sparring Hall. To find his Loftwing, Link needs the Practice Sword so that he can cut the wooden spikes guarding the Waterfall Cave and go through it. After his Loftwing is rescued, Link keeps the Sword until he is introduced to Fi within the Statue of the Goddess and receives the Goddess Sword.
- The Practice Sword is the least effective Sword of The Legend of Zelda series. It takes two hits to down a Keese, one of the game's weakest enemies.
|Names in Other Regions|
|SpanishLA||Espada de aprendiz|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 134
- "You got a Practice Sword! Students at the Knight Academy practice with these. It looks like it has a fairly sharp blade!" — N/A (Skyward Sword)
- "Just a little while ago, when I was cleaning the dining hall, Groose and his buddies came in. They didn't notice I was there and started talking about their plan to hide your Loftwing. I wanted to warn you, Link. But just as I tried to sneak away... Groose and his gang grabbed me... They said that if I told you, they'd make sure I would never be able to ride a bird ever again!" — Fledge (Skyward Sword)
- "It sounds like Groose and his buddies had a plan to capture your bird and hide him near a waterfall. Well, near a waterfall would mean... Quick--let's take a look at your map. That's it! Right there. I think it means the waterfall marked here with an ." — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "If you're going out to the waterfall, remember that there are some dangerous things there. Creepy, crawly things. You'll need to carry a sword. I think I saw the Knight Commander go into the Sparring Hall a while ago. You should go ask him if you can borrow one!" — Pipit (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey! It's Link! So you still want to get in some sword practice, even though today is the Wing Ceremony? I'm impressed. The sword is in the back room. Go on back there and get it." — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey! Link! You can't take swords outside of the Sparring Hall. What do you think you're doing sneaking out with that?!" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)
- "What? Your Loftwing is missing? You want to go look for it? Well I guess I could make an exception just this once. But remember that Skyloft is a peaceful place. Only knights carry swords! So I don't want to see you swinging it around like crazy out there! I don't want to get in a ton of trouble over this, so here's the deal...Make sure you get plenty of practice on these logs first, and once you get outside with that sword, only use it when you absolutely have to, got it?" — Eagus (Skyward Sword)