Moving and lifting heavy objects
The Power Glove,(ALttP | OoA | ALBW) also known as the Handy Glove,[note 1] is a recurring Item in The Legend of Zelda series that allows Link to lift heavy objects. In some games,(ALttP | ALBW) it is eventually replaced by the more powerful Titan's Mitt. In others,(TAoL | OoA) it is itself an upgrade to the Power Bracelet.
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Nomenclature
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Notes
- 7 References
Location and Uses
The Adventure of Link
The Handy Glove is situated within the walls of Midoro Palace in The Adventure of Link. Upon collection, it increases the strength of Link's Sword, allowing it to crush the blocks found in Palaces.
A Link to the Past
The Power Glove is located in the Desert Palace in A Link to the Past, introducing the need to lift heavy rocks. These rocks obstruct the path to the bosses of the dungeon, the Lanmolas. These rocks also surround the entrance to Death Mountain, necessitating the retrieval of the Power Glove before Link can ascend to the Tower of Hera. Unlike the Gloves in The Adventure of Link, the Power Glove does not alter Link's Sword power.
Oracle of Ages
The Power Glove is located in the Ancient Tomb in Oracle of Ages. It functions as the L-2 Power Bracelet, being able to lift considerably heavier objects, such as the statues found in and around the Tomb. The Power Glove is crucial for defeating the boss of the dungeon, Ramrock, in its final form. In said form, its hands transform into metal balls, connected to the main body by chains. Link must use the Power Glove to grab onto one of the balls that it doesn't throw towards the young hero and pull it far enough so that it recoils and hits Ramrock, eventually defeating it.
A Link Between Worlds
The Power Glove in A Link Between Worlds functions nearly identically to its counterpart in A Link to the Past. Rosso gives Link the Power when the hero expresses an interest in picking up small rocks. Rosso also hints that Link should pick up the rocks surrounding his home. If Link obliges in picking up all of the rocks surrounding his house, Rosso will reward Link with a Chest containing 50 Rupees. Some Lost Maiamais can be located beneath small rocks that must be lifted.
- In A Link to the Past, the Power Glove and Titan's Mitt subtly alter Link's sprite so that his hands are armored and no longer flesh-colored. This detail is absent from A Link to the Past & Four Swords.
- The Power Glove may be a reference to the Power Glove controller for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||聖なるグローブ||パワーグラブ (ALttP | ALBW)|
|FrenchCA||Gants de la force (ALBW)|
|FrenchEU||Gant du Puissance (ALttP)|
Bracelet de Force (OoA)
Ganta de puissance (ALBW)
|Italian||Guanti Muscolo (OoA)|
Guanti della Forza (ALttP)
Guanti della forza (ALBW)
|Spanish||Guante||Guante de Fuerza (OoA | ALBW)|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 134 (ALttP | OoA | ALBW)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 126 (TAoL)
- The NES Game Atlas (Nintendo of America) pg. 66
- "Handy Glove: Use this to break the blocks in the palaces by swinging the sword." (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 46)
- "I was on the mountain mining ore when, all of a sudden, the earth started shaking! When I got home, the place was a wreck. Rocks everywhere. You seen outside? I'll be bustin' my back for days to clean up that mess. At least pickin' up rocks and smashin' the things feels pretty good. Wish they were full of good ore, though. What? You want to try too? Rah! Feels good smashin' stuff! Huh? Can’t do it? Sorry to hear it. Can’t stand to see a nice kid like you not be able to throw your weight around... Here-take this. It’s a hand-me-down from yours truly." — Rosso (A Link Between Worlds)
- "You’ll feel tough with that on your mitt—oughta be able to pick up rocks! Smaller ones, anyway. And if you get to smashin' and just can’t stop yourself, well, there’s a whole bunch of them outside! Grah-ha-ha! Just a joke, that’s all. I wouldn't REALLY tell ya to do all my work out there. Still, if you do...who am I to stop ya? Now, these rocks aren't gonna clean themselves up. Back to it!" — Rosso (A Link Between Worlds)
- And the Handy Glove is on! - Link (Valiant Comic Issue #4)
- He's coming back! - Link (Valiant Comic Issue #4)
- This time, I have a magic glove, so I'll be strong enough to beat you! - Link (Valiant Comic Issue #4)
- I gave it to Ganon. I had to. - Bagu (Valiant Comic Issue #4)
- He's holding my frogs for ransom! - Bagu (Valiant Comic Issue #4)