We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
A Pols Voice from Phantom Hourglass
One Rupee (TLoZ)
Five Rupees (TLoZ)
Pols Voices are recurring enemies in The Legend of Zelda series.
Characteristics and Weaknesses
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda Manual Comment
In The Legend of Zelda, Pols Voices are ghosts with big ears, whiskers, and a tooth-filled maw underneath them. They bounce around dungeon rooms and can be defeated with a single Arrow. When defeated, Pols Voices may drop either a Heart, one Rupee, five Rupees or a Clock.[note 1]
The game's manual states that Pols Voices hate loud noises. This is a reference to the Japanese version of the game, where they can only be defeated by talking into the second controller's microphone. As the NES controllers do not feature a built-in microphone, their weakness was changed to Arrows, however, the manual description was not edited to reflect this.
In the Famicom and Famicom Disk System cartridge releases of The Legend of Zelda,  all Pols Voices in the room are defeated if the Famicom's built-in microphone of the second controller detects sound. In the Japanese Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console release, all Pols Voice in the room will be defeated if the Nintendo 3DS microphone detects a loud noise while the second controller is selected. In the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console release, all Pols Voices in the room will be defeated if the Wii U GamePad microphone detects a loud noise. In the Japanese Game Boy Advance release, Pols Voices can be defeated by pressing Select four times. In the Japanese Wii Virtual Console release, they can be defeated by rotating the right Control Stick of the Classic Controller, or the C-Stick of the GameCube Controller. In the Nintendo Classic Mini: Family Computer release, however, they do not have a weakness, thus forcing the player to use Link's sword.
In Link's Awakening, Pols Voices are only vulnerable to Arrows, however, they take several shots to defeat. They can also be quickly defeated by throwing Pots at them or by using Bombs. Playing the Ocarina causes them to explode.
In Phantom Hourglass, Pols Voices only appear in the Temple of Courage. By blowing into the Nintendo DS microphone, they get stunned, leaving them open for an attack. Pols Voices attack by flipping forward and attempting to attack Link with their large mouths hidden under their bodies.
- After selling the Bunny Hood to the Running Man in Ocarina of Time, he mentions that with its ears, he might hear the voices. This might be a reference to Pols Voices.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ポルスボイス (Porusu Boisu)||Pols Voice|
- TLoZ Pols Voice Million Publishing Artwork.png
Pols Voice artwork from The Legend of Zelda Million Publishing guide
- If Link defeats 10 enemies without getting hit or teleporting with the Recorder, then the 10th enemy defeated will drop five Rupees. However, if the 10th enemy is defeated with a Bomb, then it will drop four Bombs. If Link defeats 16 enemies without getting hit or teleporting, then the 16th enemy will drop a Fairy. After the 16th enemy, Link must get hit and reset the counter to zero in order to achieve this effect again. Defeating Armos, Like Likes, Keeses or Gels will not be counted.
- "POLS VOICE: A monster with giant ears. You can shoot it with an arrow." (The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo of America), pg. 11)
- n.a., Forced Drops, redcandle.us, published n.d., retrieved August 17, 2017.
- "A ghost with big ears and a weak point - he hates loud noise." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 36)
- Cinemassacre, The Legend of Zelda (Famicom) James & Mike Mondays, YouTube (Video), published June 7, 2015, retrieved February 15, 2017.
普通に戦うとかなり体力がある厄介な相手なのですが、マイクに叫ぶと一撃で全滅させる事ができる" — ａｒｉｋｏ, ［レビュー］ニンテンドークラシックミニ ファミリーコンピュータ開封！小さいけどコントローラーの操作性は悪くない！, おとんメディア, published November 11, 2016, retrieved February 15, 2017.
- The Legend of Zelda: Gameplay, Legends of Localization, retrieved January 31, 2015.
- "あとポルスボイスの倒し方（マイクに叫ぶやつ）の受けがよかったです。Wii Uゲームパッドのマイクも対応してたんですね～。" — 変わったことと、変わらないこと, CHARA PIT, published January 8, 2015, retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Wii VC版の場合右スティックを回す" — ゼルダの伝説1 周回用フローチャート, 丸望三角, retrieved January 31, 2015.
- "Creatures that are sensitive to sound dwell in the sands ahead. So, walk without sound and bring as little attention to yourself as possible." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I bet with those long ears you can hear the voices..." — Running Man (Ocarina of Time)