In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Reach Explorer's Crypt
Location and Uses
It is rung to announce departure. It belongs to the Cap'n of the Piratians, who had it as a gift from his lover, Queen Ambi. The bell is lost in Samasa Desert when the Piratians are shipwrecked on Holodrum shores and driven into Subrosia. The Captain refuses to budge until his bell is found. When Link finds the Rusty Bell in the desert, he must bring it to the Subrosian Smithy to have it polished.
Quest for the Bell
Throughout most of the game, the Piratians stand idly by at the House of Pirates. The crew is eager to dig itself out of Subrosia and set sail, but the Captain refuses to give the orders until the bell is found. The Captain sends a few members of his crew to Samasa Desert to search for the bell, telling them not to come back until the bell is found. However, the Captain deems Link to be unfit for this quest until he completes the Ancient Ruins dungeon. On the second floor of the House of Pirates, a Piratian teaches Link the combination to open the gate in front of the desert. Once in the desert, Link climbs down into the hold of the ruined ship, where he meets the spirit of a Piratian who got caught in a sandstorm and died in his search for the Pirate's Bell. The unfortunate soul is unable to pass onto the afterlife until the bell his found and his quest is complete. He implores Link to find his skull rolling out in the desert and help him find the bell. Link finds the bristly, talking skull in the desert's oasis and picks it up with the Power Bracelet. As they roam the desert, the skull will begin to shatter when they near a specific pit of quicksand. Falling into this pit reveals a cave with the Rusty Bell lying inside. His quest complete, the Piratian disappears, but not before noting on the poor state of the bell. In fact, the bell is so badly rusted that the Captain will not accept it and demand that Link have it polished.
Arriving at the Subrosian Smithy, the "Master" mentions that Link has a bell of great value, but does not offer to polish it. If Link says "please", they will ignore his request. He must demand that they polish the bell in a firm and direct tone by saying "Do It!" With the Pirate's Bell restored to its original state, Link returns the bell to the Captain and completes the quest. After a moment of solemn reflection, the Captain gives the order to board the ship and set sail.
- Although the Rusty Bell is always found in the same cave, the exact entrance to the cave will commonly change. Therefore, Link needs the skull's help to find the cave.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Rusty Bell||Pirate's Bell|
|French||Cloche Rouillée||Cloche Pirate|
|Italian||Campana Ruggine||Campana Pirati|
|Spanish||Campana Oxidada||Campana Pirata|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 134
- "Argh! The sea is truly me home! Me heart's come alive! Aye! Sound the bell!" — Coliseum Receptionist (Oracle of Seasons)
- "It was so stormy that Cap'n lost the bell he got from a special someone. That's a bit o' trouble..." — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Cap'n got a special someone he can't forget. What's more, she's said to be the queen of some great land." — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Our ship got caught in a storm and sank. When we woke, 'ere we were. Where are we? It all looks so weird." — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "With the Cap'n in such a state, we'll never get the ship out!" — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Oh! Surely this- Ar! This thing's rusted something awful! What are you pullin'? This won't do! Go get it polished!" — Coliseum Receptionist (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I want to get back to all me mates and dig the ship free, but Cap'n said, "Don't come back 'til ya find me bell"! Can't someone take me place..?" — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ar, har, har! Don't be silly! You ain't an experienced adventurer yet! If you 'aven't at least proven your adventurin' skills by seein' the inside o' some ruins, I've no use for you!" — Coliseum Receptionist (Oracle of Seasons)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 46
- "Ahoy! When I was searching the desert for the bell, I got caught in a sandstorm. I awoke like this!" — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "I can't go on to the afterlife... If ya pity me, help me find that bell! Me skull is rollin' out in the desert. Find that first." — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages — The Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Co., Ltd.) pg. 47
- "Uh-oh! That's Cap'n's bell, but I hope that'll do. It's awful rusty! ................ Well, at least I can go on to the afterlife now! The rest is up to you!" — Piratian (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ar! There's no mistakin' it! This bell is full o' memories--but that don't mean they're all good! Sniff! Now I'm all pensive. It's not like me. We're off, mateys! To sea!" — Coliseum Receptionist (Oracle of Seasons)