The ghost of a young girl named Phoeni appears as a hand in the toilet of the Knight Academy at night asking for paper. Once Link receives Cawlin's Letter, he can choose to deliver it to Karane or give it to Phoeni. If he chooses to give it to Karane and visits Phoeni afterwards, she will tell Link she no longer needs paper before vanishing. If he chooses to give the Letter to Phoeni, she will believe the letter was meant for her, giving Link five Gratitude Crystals in return. Afterwards, Phoeni's hand can be found stroking Cawlin's head while he sleeps.
- The concept of a hand in the toilet is based on Japanese ghost stories where a hand grabs from beneath the toilet whenever someone sits in the bathroom.
- "This is the hand of a ghost. Identity while alive is unknown. Judging from the look of this hand, the probability that it was a young girl's is 90%." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 294
- "Ignore Cawlin and give the paper letter to Phoeni." (Skyward Sword Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 165)
- "Please forget about the paper... Good-bye..." — Phoeni (Skyward Sword)
- "It's good to see you again... Actually, thanks to you, I met my true love... Yes, him... It all started with that letter that you gave me..." — Phoeni (Skyward Sword)
- "[...]But visit Cawlin's room at night, and you find Phoeni's spectral hand caressing him in his sleep!" (Skyward Sword Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 165)
- "It's actually something from a Japanese ghost story. Not a specific ghost story. There are some ghost stories in Japan where — when you are sitting in the bathroom in the traditional style of the Japanese toilet — a hand is actually starting to grab you from beneath." —Shigeru Miyamoto (Shigeru Miyamoto talks 'Legend of Zelda',' 'Mariokart')