Phantom Zelda is the form that Princess Zelda spirit assumes when she enters the armor of Phantoms. By possessing a Phantom, she can offer offensive and defensive backup for Link, as well as help him solve many puzzles throughout the Tower of Spirits. After possessing a Phantom, Princess Zelda seems to instantly gain knowledge of its abilities. As a Phantom, Princess Zelda automatically follows behind Link. To independently control Phantom Zelda, the lower corner Phantom icon must be tapped. This will switch the camera to her, where, by pressing the pink circle below here, Link will be able to draw the path that Zelda should follow. Upon doing so, Zelda will no longer automatically follow Link until he taps the "Call" icon. Even as a Phantom, Zelda can enter Safe Zones as she is not a malicious entity. Link cannot leave the floor without Zelda accompanying him.
Zelda has a wide variety of functions as a Phantom, depending on Link's actions or what type of Phantom she is in control of, being able to use any abilities specific to that type. For instance, she is able to carry him upon her shield if he leaps onto her from a higher platform. She can also easily cross through fire, spiked floors, and walk through lava, while also carrying Link on her shield through such obstacles. With a Phantom's brute strength, Zelda can stop rolling Boulders and move massive blocks. Moreover, Princess Zelda can carry certain objects. This includes carrying electrified Boss Keys to their keyhole as Link protects her from the Key Masters that will attempt to retake the Keys. If a Phantom spots Link, Zelda will block the Phantom's attack at the young hero, and she will urge Link to run away quickly as she tries to keep blocking the Phantom's attacks. Zelda is also capable of distracting Phantoms by speaking with them, allowing Link to sneak past them unnoticed.
Despite donning a Phantom suit, Princess Zelda is deathly afraid of Rats. As such, if a Rat crosses her path, she will scream and be paralyzed with fear and will not be able to settle down or be controlled by Link until he defeats it for her. If Link attacks Zelda too many times while she is possessing a Phantom, she will attack Link back. However, her attacks do not cause Link to return to the beginning of the room, unlike the regular Phantoms. If Link plays the Spirit Flute while near Phantom Zelda, she will compliment his playing.
Breath of the Wild
Though Phantom Zelda herself does not appear in Breath of the Wild, the Phantom Helmet, Phantom Armor, and the Phantom Greaves are all based on her appearance from Spirit Tracks when she possesses a standard Phantom.
Toon Zelda's Phantom Zelda rolling as a Wrecker Phantom from Hyrule Warriors
- "THE CHANGES IN THE SPIRIT TOWER
With its tracks disappearing and its barrier lost, the Tower of Spirits was divided, and its guardians, the Phantoms, were possessed by demons. Princess Zelda's spirit transformed into Phantom Zelda by entering the armor of a Phantom, and, with the cooperation of Link, she made for the top of the tower. However, in order to reach the top floor where the Demon King's spirit slept, the two would need to restore the barriers to the temples." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 134)
- "Phantom Zelda" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 318)
- "I bet you could hop on top of my shield from that perch!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "I don't think you can get through these floor spikes, Link. Leave it to me! I'll figure something out!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Hey, look! Now that I'm a Phantom, I can walk through fire and lava! Hee hee hee! I'm like a walking, talking shield, Link!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "There's another Phantom, Link! But wait a second... Now that I'm in disguise, maybe I can trick him into thinking I'm on his side. I'll go try!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Eeeeek! What is that disgusting monster?! Phantoms are terrifying, but at least they're not as revolting as that thing! Let's fight him together, Link!" — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "That's a nice song." — Phantom Zelda (Spirit Tracks)