Phantom Spheres are items in Phantom Hourglass. They are gold orbs produced and provided to Link by Ciela and used to temporarily freeze time, an ability that is imperative to defeating Bellum.
The Phantom Sphere first appears after the first half of Link's battle against Bellum within the Temple of the Ocean King. After Link has fought the monster on the third floor of its lair, Bellum will regurgitate a large, glowing orb. According to Oshus, this orbs contains the last of Ciela's lost memories, taken by Bellum when Ciela was attacked. She will regain her memories after making contact with the orb and realize her true role as the Spirit of Time and Courage. She will then acquire the ability to spawn Phantom Spheres, which take the same gold and round appearance that her memories took moment before.
Using the Phantom Sphere
After Link receives a Phantom Sphere, the use of one is employed through pressing the Phantom Hourglass icon on the bottom of the touch screen before drawing a figure-eight, a shape meant to be reminiscent of the Phantom Hourglass.Link can hold up to nine Phantom Spheres during the battle, but cannot use more than one at a time. Every time Link activates a Phantom Sphere, the game screen becomes devoid of color, all motion stops, save for Link, Ciela, and Bellum's eye. A fast timer begins to count down from 200, but it only last about seven seconds. In this short time window, Link must attempt to inflict as much damage as possible on Bellum with the Phantom Sword. Because Bellum incorporates flight, erratic, unpredictable movements, and only opens its eye for short periods of time, use of the Phantom Sphere is the only way to capture Bellum when it is most vulnerable: frozen, with its eye wide open. The use of the Phantom Sphere will be necessary again in the second fight against Bellum, during which Ciela will be captured by Bellumbeck and can only provide Phantom Spheres when the grip of Bellum's tentacle is loose enough. This can be managed if Link lowers Bellum's defense by clashing swords with him.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||夢幻のスフィア (Mugen no Sufia)||Dream Sphere|
- "Wh...what is that? He just spit something out! Ewww...why? I feel like I've seen that somewhere before..." — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "That is the memory you lost... Long ago, Bellum attacked you, stealing your power and memories... Now, those memories have surfaced. You have them back!" — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I remember it all now... I'm Ciela, the Spirit of Time and Courage... I finally remember EVERYTHING!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "And as long as I trust my true power to the Phantom Hourglass... You have the ability to stop time! / First, focus your power on the hourglass with the Phantom Sphere I release! Each Phantom Sphere has the ability to stop time just once. The Hourglass icon will appear at the bottom of the screen. Touch that... And draw the shape of the Phantom Hourglass... a figure eight! Time will stop!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Hey... Is his tentacle losing its grip on me?! Now's the time for a Phantom Sphere!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)