Location and Uses
Paya's Diary is a book of Paya's personal thoughts and worries. It is kept on a small table in her room at Impa's House, nestled in Kakariko Village. As Link goes through his quest, Paya will add more to the Diary, though it only has a single entry when Link first arrives. It can be read whenever Paya is not in the room. If she is present, she will ask Link not to look at it.
Link can access the Diary as early as his first conversation with Impa. When he finds it, he will note how Paya must have just started it. The only entry in it at the time explains how Impa, Zelda, and Purah decided to take Link to rest in the Shrine of Resurrection so that he may defeat Ganon after his Slumber of Restoration. Paya learned the swordsman's name through this tale. The Diary tells how Impa has been waiting for Link's return and how Paya hopes he does so soon for both Hyrule and Impa's sakes.
Paya's Diary, and the Journal of Various Worries, have the exact same hylian words written on their texture mapping as the general notebooks or Rumor Mill notebooks found throughout Breath Of The Wild. However, Paya's Diary and The Journal Of Various Worries are written in a Japanese fashion, and words are written in a top-to-bottom fashion with pages read right-to-left. The hylian text on all these books read the same thing "April First. Today was a shy hot and sunny day. I went to school. This diary is a very important document. April Second. Yesterday was Fool's day. Everything that I wrote was false. That is all. See you tomorrow"
- "Paya's Diary" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "This looks like Paya's Diary... It seems she's only just started writing in it..." — Link (Breath of the Wild)
- "Grandmother says she conspired with Princess Zelda and Auntie Purah 100 years ago. They decided to put a lone swordsman into a long sleep so as to prepare for a time that was foretold in legends." — Paya's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "The name of that swordsman...is Link." — Paya's Diary (Breath of the Wild)
- "Since then, Grandmother has been waiting for him to reappear after all this time. I, too, pray that he awakens soon. For the sake of Hyrule...and for Grandmother's sake as well." — Paya's Diary (Breath of the Wild)