The Parella appear to be a mix of a seahorse and a jellyfish, containing the head and tail of a seahorse and the body of a jellyfish. On their heads are crests that resemble coral. They live solely in the waters of Lake Floria in southeastern Faron Province. Despite their unusual appearance and their seemingly lack of swimming fins, they are highly accomplished swimmers who can swim great distances without tiring. The Parella are invertebrates; due to their lack of bones, they can easily fit into confined spaces that Link cannot. Parella are nearly always white with blue markings, with the exception of Jellyf, who is red. It is very common for Parella to not have individual names. The Parella rarely leave the cave where they live alongside Faron, but they are curious about what lies in Faron Woods.
The Parella were among the five races of the Surface who joined the Goddess Hylia in the war against the evil forces of Demise. During the Sky Era, the Parella live in the flooded channels of Lake Floria, where they serve the Water Dragon Faron. The Parella are also led by Jellyf.
While searching for Farore's Flame, Link is directed to Lake Floria to look for the Water Dragon Faron, who knows the whereabouts of this Sacred Flame. There he encounters Jellyf and the Parella, who are all afraid to discover another human in their domain. After Link chases after Jellyf, she relaxes after seeing the Water Dragon's Scale in his possession, realizing that he is a messenger of the Goddess. Link learns that Ghirahim had invaded the Lake and attacked Faron with his horde of monsters, managing to wound her in the process. The Water Dragon is now in a state of recovery, but is running out of Sacred Water needed for her recovery. Jellyf implores that Link help Faron, and guides him through the flooded channels to her dwelling. Along the way, Link also meets other Parella, some of which mock him for his form unsuitable for swimming.
- According to Hyrule Historia, the aquatic race featured in Skyward Sword was originally going to closely resemble the Zoras. However, the designers were told to go with a more primitive design, and the idea was rejected.
"Parella" may be a portmanteau of "parasol" and "umbrella," indicative of their body shape. Their Japanese name, Parage, is likely derived from the Japanese word for jellyfish, 海月 (Kurage).
|Names in Other Regions|
- "The leader of the Parella who guides Link has a larger coral on her head, which she uses as a key to unlock a door." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 48)
- "The forest is home to the Kikwi, and the Parella live in Lake Floria to the south." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 42)
- "Parella Tribe" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 341)
- "Huh? You can't get through? Sheesh, you humans and your bones. Talk about inconvenient." — Jellyf (Skyward Sword)
- "In general, Parella do not have individual names." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 54)
- "The Parella idolize the water dragon Faron, and live alongside her inside their cave. Parella rarely if ever leave Faron's cave, but maintain a healthy curiosity for what lies in the forest beyond the lake." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 54)
- "They serve the Water Dragon, Faron." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Quit following me, pest! If you don't move along, I'll be forced to tell Her Excellence the Water Dragon about your little incursion!" — Jellyf (Skyward Sword)
- "Her name is Jellyf. She is the leader of the Parella race of aquatic creatures. More intelligent than other Parella, they follow her lead." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Ack! Another human! OK, OK... I just have to avoid eye contact and back away slowly..." — Jellyf (Skyward Sword)
- "Eeep! Don't eat me!" — A Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "Wait... That's a Water Dragon's Scale! Does that make you the emissary of the goddess, like the Water Dragon said? Hey, I've got an idea! Maybe you can help Her Excellence!" — Jellyf (Skyward Sword)
- "Yeah, about that... It happened really recently. This weirdo came in here with a gang of monsters and went right after Her Excellence. My lady the Water Dragon is a fierce fighter, and, boy, did she gobble up most of those monsters in the first few seconds. Thing is, there were just so many of them! While she was distracted, the weirdo leading all those creatures managed to wound her. She's healing up now, but she says we don't have enough special water for her to make a full recovery." — Jellyf (Skyward Sword)
- "Shortly before your arrival, I was attacked by a pompous creature calling himself Ghirahim. I stood against this self-proclaimed Demon Lord, but I was wounded in the encounter." — Faron (Skyward Sword)
- "Hah! Human in the water! Look at him trying to flap around in the water!" — A Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "I never knew there were humans who could dive this deep!" — A Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "We originally planned to have a race that closely resembled the Zora, but we were told to design a more primitive race, and the idea was rejected." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 48)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|