After Link's Crimson Loftwing goes missing, Owlan becomes concerned and recommends that Link find it quickly. He also suggests that Link speak with Horwell, one of the instructors, as he is in charge of the Wing Ceremony.
Before the Wing Ceremony race, Owlan gives Link and three other Skyloft youths the instructions for the Ceremony. He attaches a ceremonial Bird Statuette to a golden Loftwing and tells the students that whoever catches the bird and claims the statue will be this year's champion. Giving quick instructions on how to control the birds, he then goes on to say that the champion will receive a gift from Zelda. Before the race begins, he tells Link and the three other Skyloftian youths to show him just how well they have practiced and asks to see "good, clean flying" without interference from the other flyers. Then, upon his command, the competition begins. If Link speaks to him before jumping off of the platform, he will scold the young hero and remind him that he is participating in a competition.
After Link receives the Goddess Sword and resolves to visit the land below to find Zelda, Owlan expresses knowledge of the legendary blade and gives Link the Wooden Shield, and explains its properties. If Link does not have space to carry the Shield, Owlan will give him a Red Rupee instead.
Owlan later becomes a great source of information on Levias, the Sky Spirit. He tells Link of the research Headmaster Gaepora ordered done, and informs him that he is in fact inside the Thunderhead. He also mentions that Pumm makes Pumpkin Soup as an offering to Levias every year, but has not made the trip this year. Since the Sky Spirit has become infested with a parasite known as Bilocyte, Owlan teaches Link and his Loftwing the Spiral Charge so that he may use it to attack the parasite plaguing Levias.
Later, after draining the flooded Faron Woods and learning Faron's portion of the "Song of the Hero," Link can talk to Owlan to discover that he fears that he has collected every form of plant life in Skyloft. Link can take his request to find a new plant, which the young hero can find in the form of a Kikwi named Oolo in Faron Woods. If Link shows Oolo to Owlan, he will become ecstatic at the young hero's finding and rewards him with five Gratitude Crystals.
- As most residents of Skyloft are modeled after birds, Owlan's and Horwell's designs were based on the Rito from The Wind Waker.
- Owlan's sash bears the symbol of a tree, fitting his fascination with botany. Strangely, although he is an instructor at the Knight Academy, he does not wear a Sailcloth.
- If Link sits at Owlan's desk in the classroom when he is around, he will scold the young hero.
- If Link sits in the seat next to Owlan in the Knight Academy classroom before the Wing Ceremony, he will ask the young hero if he wants to hear a lesson. If Link chooses to listen, Owlan will describe how Skyloft has been around for thousands of years. This claim coincides with Zelda's statement that she will sleep for thousands of years before sealing herself in the Sealed Temple.
- If Link speaks to Owlan after he masters the Spiral Charge move, he will reveal that he is a fan of Kina's singing at the Lumpy Pumpkin.
Owlan's name is derived from owl.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Arfan||A play on "Harfang", the French name of snowy owls.|
|German||Otus||From the Latin otus, meaning "owl."|
|Italian||Otus||From the Latin otus, meaning "owl."|
|SpanishLA||Maestro Buhel||Professor Buhel|
Concept art of Owlan from Hyrule Historia
- "His name is Owlan. He is an instructor at the Knight Academy." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 294
- "Collecting exotic plants is my passion!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "What's wrong, Link? Your bird won't come to you when you call it? For a Loftwing to ignore its master's call...something must be very wrong... Have you talked to Instructor Horwell about this? He's leading today's ceremony and should be made aware of what's going on! I see... Well, if the headmaster is aware of the situation, then I'm sure he'll delay the ceremony for you. You just worry about finding that bird of yours!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Your attention, please. At last we are ready to begin the Wing Ceremony. I was beginning to worry that we'd have to proceed without Link, but luckily that is no longer a concern. I'm glad you could all make it. Before we start, I'll explain the rules for today's competition." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Before we start, I'll explain the rules for today's competition. I have attached a small statuette to this bird, who I will then release to the skies. [...] Whoever catches the bird and claims the statuette with will be this year's champion." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "As you know, today's champion will receive a gift honoring his prowess from none other than..." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Let's see your finest flying out there. Show me just how hard you've been practicing. Also, I want to see good, clean flying. Anyone caught interfering with other riders will answer to me!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, Link! Where do you think you're going? This is a competition! Dive off the platform!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "I heard the news, Link! Zelda's fallen down through the clouds and you're going to look for her. Is that right? The headmaster told me there's land beneath the clouds... Do you know anything about that? So that's the famous sword... Ah, but it won't do you much good if you don't have a shield to protect yourself with! Here--take this with you!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "The Wooden Shield is light and maneuverable, but it's the weakest of all the shields. Also, keep in mind that it's particularly vulnerable to fire. If it breaks, you can buy a new one at the bazaar." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Unfortunately, you don't seem to have space to carry any other items. Here, take this instead. Consider it a little gift from your friend and teacher." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Levias?! I've heard rumors about what's been going on out there, but little more. I'm afraid I lack sufficient knowledge on this subject to be of help to you. Go speak with the head of physical training, Instructor Owlan. I'm sure he can teach you more about this particular topic!" — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "If I'm correct, Levias is the one inside the thunderhead." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Levias is inside the thunderhead. He's been acting so strangely... Like something has possessed him. If we can somehow free him from whatever it is that has a hold over him, then there's a chance he will return to his senses. Listen well, Link, because I'm about to teach you a very powerful bird-riding technique. It's called the Spiral Charge! Using the Spiral Charge, you can rid Levias of the blight that has hold of him!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "As I'm sure you're aware, I'm the eminent authority on plant collecting in Skyloft. If I do say so, myself... But you see...I have begun to fear that I have collected everything I can hope to collect. My plant collection now features every known species. I've started wondering if, in light of your travels, there isn't somewhere you might be able to discover something new for me. What do you think? Would you be willing to look for a new plant species for me? Perhaps something exotic... The kind that would turn a few heads?" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "This...this is... Unbelievable! You've found me an entirely new plant species! It's precisely what I wanted! Hmm... Fascinating! Should this actually be classified as flora or fauna... I mean, plant or animal? Hmm... You know, this may very well mark the discovery of a new type of species altogether! OH! How incredible! The world is still full of new plants waiting to be discovered, isn't it? I can barely contain my excitement! Oh, Link! You have no idea what this means to me! Thank you so much!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "In the beginning, it was decided that all residents of Skyloft would be modeled after birds. That's we're the idea to give Henya a rooster's body came from. Groose's pointy hairstyle was inspired by a rooster's comb. Owlan's and Horwell's designs were based on the Rito tribe from The Wind Waker." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 23)
- "Hey now! That's my seat that you've perched yourself on. Students must sit in the student seating!" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "Allow me tell you about the history of Skyloft! Skyloft is an island that has floated here for ages... Thousands of years. Our ancestors have always lived on this island, as well as the surrounding islands in the sky." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "To ensure that the seal holds, I will remain here in this time...deep in sleep for thousands of years." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "The Lumpy Pumpkin is a little gathering spot on an oblong island to the southeast of Skyloft. The owner's daughter, Kina, works there. She has the most lovely voice. I'm also...a fan of hers. But you don't need to tell anyone else about that, do you?" — Owlan (Skyward Sword)