We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Owl (Link's Awakening)
|Other Media||Link's Awakening (Cagiva)|
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Link's Awakening (Cagiva)
The Owl appears to Link as soon has he had found his sword in Toronbo Shores, and would appear again on multiple occasions to share his words of wisdom. This Owl is greatly concerned of The Wind Fish's eternal slumber and upon seeing Link, believes that Link could be the one who would awaken The Wind Fish.
Giving Link directions in the form of riddles, the Owl sends Link to various dungeons of the isle to retrieve the Eight Instruments of the Sirens, which are all needed to awake The Wind Fish. This Owl is also constantly reminding Link that The Wind Fish is watching his progress and awaits to be awakened.
In-game, the Owl appears as a yellow owl. However, his actual appearance is a white owl with brown wings and backside. He also has large yellow eyes and a purple zig-zag pattern, complete with red dots, lining along his wings. In Link's Awakening DX, the Stone Slabs were changed into Owl Statues, which uses the Owl's sprite and same yellow coloring. In the Oracle Series the Owl Statues also use the Owl's sprite, but are blue this time.
Upon getting the first Instrument of the Siren, the Full Moon Cello from Tail Cave, The Owl would once again appear. The Owl mentions that at first he did not believe that Link was real, suggesting that he believed that Link was actually a part of the dream world, as Koholint Island is a mere illusion dreamed up by the sleeping Wind Fish. However since Link had gotten the Instrument, it would seem that The Owl now believes that Link is in fact real. When explaining what the Instrument is, The Owl also mentions that he was given instructions to guide Link. The Owl was probably instructed by the sleeping Wind Fish, as the other inhabitants of Koholint Island are unaware that they are a part of the dream world.
After getting the fifth instrument, The Owl will then instruct Link to the Southern Face Shrine 'where ancient ruins speak of the Wind Fish.' After defeating the Armos Statue there, Link discovers some writing and a drawing on the wall. The walls reveal that the isle is a dream of The Wind Fish and by awakening him would make the island disappear. The walls depict a drawing of The Wind Fish as well as the Owl. The Owl outside will reassure Link by telling him that no one is really sure whether the foretelling is true or not, and the only way to find out would be to awaken The Wind Fish. The Owl then tells Link to trust his feelings and then flies off.
The Owl is also quite aware of 'the song of awakening', the Ballad of the Wind Fish, the song which needs to be played with the Eight Instruments of the Siren to awaken The Wind Fish. After Link completes the seventh dungeon, Eagle's Tower, he would encounter Marin, who often sings The Ballad of the Wind Fish, in the Tal Tal Mountain Range. After saving her from some monsters, The Owl thinks that she could have been trying to awaken The Wind Fish with her song, which seems to be true as Marin had revealed earlier her wish of becoming a seagull, and hoped that The Wind Fish would make her wish come true someday.
After getting all of the Instruments, Link goes in front of The Wind Fish's egg and plays The Ballad of the Wind Fish on the Instruments of the Siren. By doing so, an opening cracked open in the egg and The Owl flew down and told Link to simply go inside. After completing the maze and defeating the final Nightmare inside, a stairway opens which takes Link to The Wind Fish's room. There, the Owl appears to Link for the final time.
The Owl then reveals that he was in fact part of The Wind Fish's spirit, which probably explains why the Owl was so concerned about The Wind Fish and why he had appeared on the walls of the Southern Face Shrine. As the spirit of The Wind Fish, the Owl was also the guardian of The Wind Fish's dream world. He also explains that Nightmares had invaded the dream world and had probably been the cause of The Wind Fish's inability to awake. As The Wind Fish is about to awaken, The Owl thanks Link once last time and wishes him farewell before fading away, rather than flying off.
This Owl may have also served as a prototype or concept for Kaepora Gaebora, the owl from Ocarina of Time (which was released five years after Link's Awakening) who largely shares the same role but only appears to Young Link. Because of their strong similarities, many players incorrectly refer to this owl as Kaepora Gaebora, as well.
|Names in Other Regions|
|The Owl's Theme|
- "OWL — This mysterious owl follows you throughout your adventure. He seems to know much of the island and the world in general, including the Wind Fish. But is he friend or foe?" (Link's Awakening DX manual, pg. 39)
- "You set out in search of your sword and other gear that might have washed up on the beach with you. As you stood in the surf with your recovered sword, a strange owl suddenly appeared and hooted this riddle: "Awaken the Wind Fish and all will be answered."" (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 4)
- "Hoot! Hoot! So you are the lad who owns the sword..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "This mysterious owl follows you throughout your adventure. He seems to know much of the island and the world in general, including the Wind Fish. But is he friend or foe?" (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 28)
- "Now I understand why the monsters are starting to act so violently... A courageous lad has come to wake the Wind Fish... It is said that you cannot leave the island unless you wake the Wind Fish.." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Now, you must hasten to the Yarna Desert! The dark, monstrous inhabitants of the sand will show you the way! Hoot Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! Take the key and go to the Tail Cave. Retrieve the Instrument that is hidden there! Go now! The Wind Fish is waiting! Hooot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "That Instrument, along with the seven others in the set, has the power to wake the Wind Fish!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "The Wind Fish is watching... Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "This owl statue is trying to say something, but you can't understand it because it has no beak." — N/A (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoooot! That is an 'Instrument of the Sirens!'" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "I have to admit, at first I did not believe you were real..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "I was instructed to give you directions... Your next goal is north, in Goponga Swamp!!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Dude! You're asking me when we started to live on this island? What do you mean by 'when?' Whoa! The concept just makes my head hurt!" — A boy (Link's Awakening)
- "First, head south, where ancient ruins speak of the Wind Fish... You will learn much there..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! I see you have read the relief... While it does say the island is but a dream of the Wind Fish, no one is really sure... Just as you cannot know if a chest holds treasure until you open it, so you cannot tell if this is a dream until you awaken... The only one who knows for sure is the Wind Fish... Trust your feelings... Someday you will know for sure..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! That girl sang her song in front of the Egg! Her 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening! Did she actually intend to wake the Wind Fish?!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "They say the 'Ballad of the Wind Fish' is a song of awakening. I wonder, if the Wind Fish wakes up, will he make my wish come true?" — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "The time has come... The Wind Fish awaits... Enter the Egg... Hoot! Hoot!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! Young lad, I mean... Link, the hero! You have defeated the Nightmares! You have proven your wisdom, courage and power!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "As part of the Wind Fish's spirit, I am the guardian of his dream world..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "But one day, the Nightmares entered the dream and began wreaking havoc. Then you, Link, came to rescue the island..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)