|Race||Deity (Appears Hylian)|
|Era||Era of the Great Voyage|
Oshus is the Ocean King who watches over the sea in Phantom Hourglass. He is the creator of the Phantom Hourglass. His true form is that of a large white whale, but he initially appears to Link as an old man on Mercay Island, where he helps him begin his quest by introducing him to Ciela.
At the beginning of the game, Ciela finds Link at the Mercay Island beach, and she tells him about her "Grandpa", who found her and took care of her when she lost her memory. Link goes into a house near the beach and finds an old man called Oshus. Even though Ciela told him what happened, Oshus want him to stay away from the Ghost Ship. Seeing that Link is not going to give up, Oshus tells him about someone who could help him, a sailor named Linebeck. After some time, Link steals Oshus's Sword, and Oshus teaches him how to use the Sword. Once Link recovers the Spirit of Courage from the Temple of Courage, Oshus reveals that it was in fact the missing part of Ciela, because she separated herself to escape from Bellum and fuses the two.
Soon afterwards, when Link finds Tetra petrified aboard the Ghost Ship, Oshus appears and reveals his true identity to Link and Linebeck, and explains that much of his life force was stolen by Bellum, who is using the ship to collect more victims, and that they had to help him defeating Bellum. His further revelation that there was no treasure aboard the Ghost Ship infuriates Linebeck, who refuses to continue cooperating until Oshus promises to grant him one wish. Oshus tells them about the three Pure Metals and that they can forge the Phantom Sword. Link finds the three Pure Metals and Zauz, a blacksmith, create the Phantom Blade. Oshus uses the Phantom Hourglass and creates the Phantom Sword. After Bellum is defeated and his life force is returned, Oshus reveals his true form, a white whale, grant a wish to Linebeck and send Link and Tetra to their original world. Oshus provides Link with the Oshus's Sword and Phantom Sword.
Oshus's Japanese name, Shīwan (シーワン), might be composed of "shī", a Japanese transliteration of the English word "sea", and "wan", the Chinese reading of the character "王", meaning "king" (which is also a very common name).
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Oshus, Roi des Mers||Oshus, King of the Seas|
|FrenchEU||Siwan, Roi des Mers||Siwan, King of the Seas|
|Italian||Oshus, Re Mar|
|SpanishEU||Shiwan, Rey del Mar||Shiwan, Sea King|
|SpanishLA||Oshus, Rey del Mar||Oshus, Sea King|
Oshus training Link to use the Sword
- "When I woke up on this beach, Grandpa rescued me!" — Ciela (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I'm chewing on Oshus's... er, the Ocean King's offer, Link. He'll grant any wish that I whip up." — Linebeck (Phantom Hourglass)
- "I am Oshus, and I live on this island." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Ciela told me all about what happened to you. […] I understand that you want to find the Ghost Ship. But you must not. […] It's best if you stay far away from that Ghost Ship." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You're not going to give up, are you? Young people... There is a port to the east of here. A sailor by the name of Linebeck should be there. He'll be willing to tell you more about the Ghost Ship." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)
- "Isn't that my sword? What do you plan on doing with that?! […] Yes, I understand, But I can't just let you go. Not without showing you how to handle that sword. I'll teach you how to handle it." — Oshus (Phantom Hourglass)