Artwork of Orca
|Era||Era of the Great Sea|
Orca is a character in The Wind Waker. He is the elderly man who lives on Outset Island along with his older brother, Sturgeon, and his great-niece, Sue-Belle, who live upstairs. Orca is an accomplished swordsman, and will teach Link the way of the sword. Orca will also give Link the Hero's Sword, his first weapon of the game.
Although they live in the same home, Orca and Sturgeon hardly get along and have almost nothing in common. Much unlike his brother, Orca has a very calm disposition: whereas Sturgeon prefers to spend the day expanding his knowledge, Orca prefers to study the art of fighting. As such, Orca is often called a "hooligan" by his brother.
In his youth, Orca set out with his brother on an arduous quest to collect ten Knight's Crests, which would allow them to learn a powerful new sword technique. However, even after many long years and adventures beyond count, they were unable to even approach finding ten crests, and they grew old before their ambitions could come to fruition.
Before Link returns to Outset, he receives a Letter from Orca telling him that if he wants to become a true swordsman, he must collect some Knight's Crests and bring them to him. If Link brings presents 10 Knight Crests to Orca, he will teach Link the technique that he and Sturgeon were never able to master: The Hurricane Spin. Once Link masters it, Orca will drop his spear and cry tears of joy, saying that Link has made their long-held dream come true. Orca will then say that there is no longer anything left for him to teach Link, and expresses his certainty that Link will be successful in his quest to save Aryll and bring her home to Outset Island.
- Main article: Sword Training
Upon his return to Outset Island, if Link visits Orca, he will tell him that Link has changed since he left. Orca will ask Link to show him how much his skills have improved. If Link accepts, a mini-game will begin in which Link must strike Orca as many times as he can before Orca strikes him three times. At the beginning of the battle, Orca will taunt Link, saying that his skills with the sword are still at the level of a mere page. If Link hits him 100 times, he will rise to the rank of "knight," and Orca will reward him with a purple Rupee. 300 hits makes Link a swordsman, and an orange Rupee is the reward, and if he hits Orca 500 times before he hits him three times, Link will receive a Piece of Heart. If the young hero manages to hit Orca 999 times, he will say that Link has surpassed him, and from that point he calls him Master Link. Link will also receive a silver Rupee.
|Orca (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Outset Island|
In his younger days, Orca had hoped to be a swordsman, but after he suffered a serious injury that ended that dream. He soon returned to Outset and became a fisherman.
On a ledge on one wall of his house is a memento from his days of training with a blade. Orca is a lifelong bachelor.
- After Link strikes Orca 1000 times he will say that he has lost count, since the counter only goes to 999, and that his arm has gone numb. He then asks: "Is your left index finger not numb, as well?" referring to the prolonged use of L-Target during the battle, even though it is possible to avoid this by simply changing the targeting mode to "switch" instead of "hold."
- If Link attacks Orca enough times (not while Orca's tutoring Link), he will knock Link to the ground, screaming at him to desist his attacks.
- When Orca has dropped his weapon (such as when Link first shows him a Knights Crest but there is not enough to learn the hurricane spin), if Link tries to attack him, Orca will defend himself using his hands.
Orca is named after the predatory whale also known as the Killer whale. His brother, Sturgeon, is also named after an aquatic animal.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||赤シャチ (Aka Shachi)||Red Orca|
|FrenchEU||Orco||From the French orque, meaning "orca."|
|German||Vadder Orca||Pa Orca|
|SpanishEU||Viejo Orca||Old man Orca|
Orca's image on the Sliding Puzzle
- "In his younger days, Orca had hoped to be a swordsman, but after he suffered a serious injury that ended that dream. He soon returned to Outset and became a fisherman." — Orca Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "Orca" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 258(TWW))
- "The hooligan I'm referring to is my younger and much less intelligent brother, who lives just downstairs..." — Sturgeon (The Wind Waker)
- "On the island due east of here lives an old man who was once a master swordsman." — Fishman (The Wind Waker)
- "Ah. Have you come for some serious instruction in the way of the sword?" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "You may have it, Link. I give it freely. Take the blade with you..." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Ah! My brother upstairs is very high-strung. His is the way of knowledge. He locks himself in his room and studies all day." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Anyway, the only thing he DOES study is the art of fighting." — Sturgeon (The Wind Waker)
- "You just be sure to take the time to read it all through very carefully. If you don't, you'll surely end up like that useless hooligan of a little brother of mine who lives downstairs." — Sturgeon (The Wind Waker)
- "Any courageous soul who gathers ten of these crests can learn a powerful new sword technique!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Both my brother and I dreamt of learning this technique in our youth. We worked so hard to collect the crests..." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "But it took many long years and adventures beyond count before we even approached finding ten of them, and we both grew old..." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "If you wish to be a true swordsman...find some Knight's Crests! And return to me!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "At last, you have made our long-held dream come true! Oh, the joyful tears... They won't stop...I thought my tears had dried up long ago." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "There is nothing left for me to teach you!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "I am certain now that you will save your sister, Aryll, and bring her home to Outset!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Hmm... I do not know what you have been doing on your journey, but you seem a little more daring these days. That look in your eye is not the one you left here with." — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Very good! Show me just how much you've improved your sword skills!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Keep coming at me until I hit you three times!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "If I must say so, your skills with the sword are still at the level of a page!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "I guess it was wrong of me to treat you like you were still a lowly page. You are a page no more! Now you are a knight!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "It was wrong of me to treat you like a child. From now on, you have my respect. I shall call you swordsman!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "You have learned all I have to teach, Master Link!" — Orca (The Wind Waker)
- "Impressive, Link! I lost count of how many times you struck me! (...) Ah. How...pleasant. My arm feels numb. Master, is your left index finger not numb, as well?" — Orca (The Wind Waker)