Olkin is a member of the Sheikah tribe who lives in Kakariko Village with his wife, Mellie. When Link first meets him, he'll remark on how unusual it is to have someone Link's age around. After a moment of hesitation, Olkin jumps into a defensive position and startles Link, wondering if he is perhaps a member of the Yiga. Pausing for another moment, Olkin relaxes and admits it was a joke. He then takes a moment to explain who the Yiga are and where their loyalties lie. Olkin mentions that they are more active after the rise of the Sheikah Towers, but assures Link that he does not think the Hylian is involved with them. Olkin asks that Link forgive him for his little joke and gifts him with a Fortified Pumpkin. He explains that the Fortified Pumpkin is one that he grew and is part of Kakariko's heritage.
In the morning, Olkin will make his way to his field to work and believes Link is a customer. Olkin will be in his field throughout the day, tending to his Fortified Pumpkins. If Link speaks to him, he will tell him about how Mellie will cook them for him every day. Link can ask him to explain and Olkin will tell him how Fortified Pumpkins increase defense. If Link instead bids him farewell, Olkin will mention Steen and bring up their differing views. Examining a Fortified Pumpkin in the field causes Olkin to ask if he would like to purchase it. If Link comes by the field while Olkin is away, he'll note how nice the pumpkins are, but realizes he should not take one without paying.
In the evening, Olkin will be waiting while his wife cooks dinner using their Fortified Pumpkins. At night, Olkin can be found running around the Village. If Link stops him to talk, he will be surprised that someone else is out so late, but will explain his own reasons for being awake. Once he brings up the secret art of defense, Link can ask him to clarify and Olkin will tell him about the Ancient Shrine above the Village. Olkin believes that the trial of the shrine will eventually come to him, so he trains to stay prepared. If Link chooses not to ask about the secret art and instead bids him goodbye, Olkin will once more bring up Steen and their rivalry of opinion. At 3 in the morning, Olkin will stop to finally go to bed.
Both his English and French names, Olkin and Tiron, come from pumpkin in each of those languages: Pumpkin and Potiron. This references the fact that he grows Fortified Pumpkins.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Just between you and me, it's not that my old Okin really hates Steen... he just can't stand carrots!" — Mellie (Breath of the Wild)
- "Olkin" — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ha! It's rare to see a young lad like you in a village like this!" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "You aren't...part of the Yiga Clan, are you?" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ha! I'm just pullin' your leg! You looked so serious, I couldn't help but goad ya a bit." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "We call those who swear allegiance to Calamity Ganon the Yiga Clan. They... Well, let's just say they don't take kindly to those who would stand against Ganon." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "It seems they're active again, ever since that big earthquake the other day." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "But don't worry. I don't think you're part of that awful Yiga Clan. I can figure that much out just by lookin' at ya." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Please don't hold it against me. Here, take this in exchange." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Fortified Pumpkins are Kakariko Village's specialty. I put my heart and soul into every one of 'em. They're delicious. If you want more, I can give you some. Just stop by the fields and say hello." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ha! You wanna buy a fortified pumpkin, don'tcha? Of course ya do! As it were, I'm heading to the fields right now... Mind waiting a bit longer?" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Fortified pumpkins make you stronger. I ask my old lady to keep 'em cookin' so I can eat some every day." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Use a fortified pumpkin in your cooking to make a dish as firm as my abs. Food like that will increase your defense. Putting lots of fortified pumpkin in the dish is key. Go on--experiment a bit!" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "There's a hotheaded geezer who says, "The best defense is a good offense." Poppycock, I say! I firmly believe the best offense is a good defense." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "That'll cost ya 20 rupees. Interested?" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "That's a mighty fine pumpkin... You'll get in big trouble if you take it without permission. Come back when the owner is here." — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "My wife's tough dishes are made from fortified pumpkins. They're out of this world. There are A LOT of fortified pumpkins in that recipe, I tell ya what." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "What are you doing out in the middle of the night?" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "As for me, the first step to achieving great defense is training your legs. That's why I'm running at this hour." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Training is the best way to learn the secret art of defense, after all." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Long ago, a wise master known simply as the swordsman was enshrined--right in this village, no less. It is said that if you overcome his trial, you will master the secret art of defense. However, no one knows exactly what this "trial" entails..." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "That is why I must stay vigilant with my training, so that I am ready whenever this trial presents itself to me!" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "There are savage old men out there who do nothing but prattle on about how the best defense is a good offense... But I know better. I believe that one who masters the art of defense is the strongest of all." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "It's getting late. I should head home." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Ha! That old geezer is as savage as ever. He's always running around yelling nonsense like, "The best defense is a good offense!"" — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "Pumpkins are superior..." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'll protect you...my sweet wife..." — Olkin (Breath of the Wild)