Unlocking the boss door
Nightmare Keys,(LA)[name reference missing] also known as Big Keys,(ALttP | TWW | TMC | TP | ALBW) Boss Room Keys,(Series) and Boss Keys,(OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | PH | ST | CoH) are recurring items in The Legend of Zelda series.
- 1 Location and Uses
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Nomenclature
- 4 Gallery
- 5 See Also
- 6 References
Location and Uses
Big Keys are one of the three standard dungeon items, the other two being the Compass and the Dungeon Map. They are generally harder to find than Small Keys and are used to open the big door leading to the boss' chamber.
A Link to the Past
In addition to opening doors, Big Keys are also used to open the Treasure Chests containing a dungeon's item in A Link to the Past. Doors unlocked by the Big Key may not necessarily lead directly to the boss.
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
In this game, Big Keys are optional items that open Big Chests, which contain a large number of Force Gems.
The Minish Cap
The Big Key from the Goron Mines must be put together by obtaining the three Key Shards from the Goron Elders in Twilight Princess. In the Snowpeak Ruins, the Big Key is replaced by the Bedroom Key, as said dungeon is actually the mansion residence of Yeto and Yeta.
Link must carry the Boss Key in his hands rather than in his inventory in Spirit Tracks, making him unable to attack and vulnerable to attacks. In some instances, Boss Keys are electrified and Link must have Princess Zelda possess a Phantom in order to carry them for him.
A Link Between Worlds
Cadence of Hyrule
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||大きなカギ (Ōkina Kagi) (ALttP)||Big Key|
|German||Großer Schlüssel (LANS)||Big Key|
|Italian||Grande chiave (LANS)||Big key|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 118 (ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | TWW | TMC | TP | PH | ST | ALBW)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 118 (Series)
- "You got a Boss Key! Get ready for the final battle!" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition)
- "Boss Key" — N/A (Cadence of Hyrule)
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass — Prima Official Game Guide (Prima Games) pg. 14
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Shogakukan) pg. 13 (ALttP)