Mythology in The Legend of Zelda Series
- For popular fan-produced myths about the series, see Myths of The Legend of Zelda Series.
There have been many mythologies in The Legend of Zelda series.
- Main article: Golden Goddesses
Before time began, there existed three Golden Goddesses who descended upon chaos to create Hyrule. Din created the land, Nayru blessed it with the law, and Farore filled it with life. When they departed, they left behind at the point where they left the world a fragment of their power in the Sacred Relic known as the Triforce, and the place where it came to rest became known as the Sacred Realm.
The Triforce and the Sacred Realm
The Triforce is a sacred golden relic left within the sacred ground by the Golden goddesses, Din (power), Nayru (wisdom), and Farore (courage) after their completion of the creation of the land of Hyrule. The Triforce was formed at the exact point at which the goddesses left the physical world. The piece on top is the Triforce of Power, the left is the Triforce of Wisdom and the right piece is the Triforce of Courage. Whomever touches the Triforce will be granted one wish, regardless of their intentions.
The area around the Triforce became the Sacred Realm. The Sacred Realm is an exact parallel to Hyrule. The Temple of Light sits at the center of the realm. Should someone with evil intentions touch the Triforce, it would split and the Hero of Time would appear to defeat him.
- Main article: Four Giants
The Four Giants are the guardian gods and creators of Termina. They are located in the four cardinal drections of Termina: Woodfall, Snowhead, Great Bay and Ikana Canyon. Always vigilant, the giants told the people to summon them should the they ever need help. However, they are friendly and will play with lesser beings, such as the Skull Kid in Majora's Mask.
Once the evil of Majora's Mask corupted the Skull Kid, he trapped the giants and threatened Termina out of revenge, believing that they hated him. The Hero of Time set out to free the Giants to stop the Skull Kid. Once they were free, the hero summoned the giants and they aided him in saving Termina. After the hero stopped the evil of Majora's Mask, the giants returned to their respective regions to continue watching over Termina.
Legend of the Hero of Time
- Main article: Hero of Time
Ancient legends in the land of Hyrule spoke of a legendary Golden Power, the Triforce, that resided in the magical Sacred Realm and had the power to grant the wishes of one who mastered it in its entirety. One day long ago, a man of great evil named Ganondorf, of the Gerudo tribe, schemed to enter this magical realm and lay claim to the Triforce in order to become the true master of the world. With the unwitting assistance of a young boy named Link (who would grow up to become the Hero of Time) and Hyrule's Princess Zelda, Ganondorf was able to enter the Sacred Realm through much cunning and deceit. However, because his heart was not in balance, the Triforce separated upon being touched by Ganondorf's tainted hands, leaving him with only the Triforce of Power and transforming the Sacred Realm into a corrupt world of evil and despair. The Triforce of Wisdom was then bestowed upon Princess Zelda and the Triforce of Courage upon the Hero of Time respectively. The Hero of Time was put into an enchanted slumber for seven years until he matured enough to properly handle the Blade of Evil's Bane, the Master Sword, which he had removed from the Pedestal of Time. Meanwhile, Zelda went into hiding (disguised as a Sheikah warrior known as Sheik) for the seven dark years of Ganondorf's evil reign over the kingdom as the Usurper King of Hyrule, awaiting the time when Link would reappear and they could overthrow Ganondorf together.
Sure enough, Link returned seven years later from the Sacred Realm and came in search of the mythical Seven Sages who were said to have the power to bind Ganondorf and return the light of peace to Hyrule. Through much toil and trouble, the Hero of Time braved the many evils Ganondorf had cast upon the realm and sought out each of the major temples throughout Hyrule and, on the instructions of Rauru the Sage of Light, awakened each of the Seven Sages, who curiously turned out to be figures he himself had befriended in his childhood (Saria the Sage of Forest, Darunia the Sage of Fire, Ruto the Sage of Water, Impa the Sage of Shadow, and Nabooru the Sage of Spirit). After each of the Sages had been awakened, Princess Zelda revealed herself to be the seventh Sage and Leader of the Sages as well as revealing that she and Link both contained the other two pieces of the Triforce Ganondorf had failed to capture. Ganondorf soon captured Zelda however and hoped to use her as bait to lure the Hero of Time to the top of his castle in order to steal the Triforce of Courage back from him.
Link followed to the fiend's castle and, with the assistance of the remaining Sages, entered Ganon's Castle and fought his way to Ganondorf's throne room atop Ganon's Tower. Here the Hero of Time confronted the King of Evil in an epic battle that ended with Ganondorf collapsing to the ground seemingly dead and Zelda released from her prison. Ganondorf then attempted to crush the two in the ruin of the tower however when he began to bring down his own castle around them. The pair escaped in time however, only to see Ganondorf emerge from the rubble and transform into the Dark Beast Ganon. The Hero of Time then fought Ganon in hand to hand combat and defeated him with the might of the Master Sword, allowing the Sages the time they needed to bind him and throw him back into the void of the Evil Realm before sealing the portal between the worlds. Ganondorf screamed in rage that as long as the Triforce of Power was in his hand, he would return one day to exterminate the descendants of the Hero of Time and the Sages to make them pay for his imprisonment. Princess Zelda then used her power as a Sage to send the Hero of Time back to his own age in order to regain his lost childhood. Upon his departure, the Triforce of Courage split apart into eight shards and scattered across the land to be found again one day by another Hero that would have need of its power. The Master Sword was also left in the Hero's wake, being returned to its pedestal in turn. With this act, the Hero of Time vanished from this branch of Hyrule's history, leaving only his legend behind.
- Main article: Minish
There is a legend known as the Legend of the Picori which tells of a time when the world was plagued by evil. During this time, the Minish people descended from the sky and bestowed upon the Hero of Men two gifts: the blessed Picori Blade and the Light Force. Wielding these gifts, the hero of men defeated the evil and sealed it in the Bound Chest with the Picori Blade.
- Main article: Oocca
In Hylian mythology revealed in Twilight Princess, the Golden Goddesses created the Oocca even before the Hylians. Some say that it was actually the Oocca who created the Hylians and that they are their ancestors. According to Shad, the Oocca created the Hylians and their City in the Sky simultaneously. In the days when they maintained contact with the royal family of Hyrule, the Oocca gave the Dominion Rod to the messenger to the heavens to be used only when the royal family needed to communicate with them. The Oocca are also much more advanced than the Hylains, as shown by the complex machinery in their home.
- "Before time began, before spirits and life existed... Three golden goddesses descended upon the chaos that was Hyrule..." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "Din... With her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "Nayru... Poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "Farore... With her rich soul, produced all life forms who would uphold the law." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens. And golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world. Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "And, the resting place of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm.Great Deku Tree" — OoT
- "For it is in that Sacred Realm that one will find the divine relic, the Triforce, which contains the essence of the gods..." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "The three goddesses hid the Triforce containing the power of the gods somewhere in Hyrule. The power to grant the wish of the one who holds the Triforce in his hands. If someone with a righteous heart makes a wish, it will lead Hyrule to a golden age of prosperity... If someone with an evil mind has his wish granted, the world will be consumed by evil...That is what has been told..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "This evil man ceaselessly uses his vile, sorcerous powers in his search for the Sacred Realm that is connected to Hyrule..." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "What Ganondorf is after must be nothing less than the Triforce of the Sacred Realm. He must have come to Hyrule to obtain it! And, he wants to conquer Hyrule...no, the entire world!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Though you opened the Door of Time in the name of peace... Ganondorf, the Gerudo King of Thieves, used it to enter this forbidden Sacred Realm! He obtained the Triforce from the Temple of Light, and with its power, he became the King of Evil..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "If the heart of the one who holds the sacred triangle has all three forces in balance, that one will gain the True Force to govern all. But, if that one's heart is not in balance, the Triforce will separate into three parts: Power, Wisdom and Courage. Only one part will remain for the one who touched the Triforce...the part representing the force that one most believes in." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "He went on to invade the Sacred Realm... Ganondorf had become the Evil King, and the Sacred Realm became a world of evil." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The one who holds the Triforce of Courage is... You, Link! And the other, who holds the Triforce of Wisdom... is the seventh Sage, who is destined to be the leader of them all... It is I, the Princess of Hyrule, Zelda." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time.... However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time... Therefore, your spirit was sealed here for seven years. And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "I apologize for meeting you in disguise, but it was necessary to hide from the King of Evil.[...]I passed myself off as a Sheikah and hoped that you would return. I waited for seven years... And...now you are back. The dark age ruled by Ganondorf the Evil King will end!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Find the other Sages and save Hyrule!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "But, with the Triforce of Wisdom that Zelda has... When I obtain these two Triforces... Then, I will become the true ruler of the world!! If you want to rescue Zelda, come to my castle!" — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
- "It's Rauru, the Sage. We six will gather our power to create a bridge to the castle where Ganondorf dwells..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "This tower will collapse soon! With his last breath, Ganondorf is trying to crush us in the ruins of the tower! We need to hurry and escape!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'm using my power to hold the Evil King! You use your sword and deliver the final blow!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ancient Creators of Hyrule! Now, open the sealed door and send the Evil Incarnation of Darkness into the void of the Evil Realm!!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "YOU... CURSE YOU...ZELDA! CURSE YOU...SAGES!! CURSE YOU...LINK! Someday... When this seal is broken.... That is when I will exterminate your descendants!! As long as the Triforce of Power is in my hand...." — Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link, give the Ocarina to me... As a Sage, I can return you to your original time with it." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "When the Hero of Time was called to embark on another journey and left the land of Hyrule, he was separated from the elements that made him a hero. It is said that at that time, the Triforce of Courage was split into eight shards and hidden throughout the land." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "Yes, according to legend, Hyrule was made by the Hylians, who, as we all know, are the closest race to the gods. But also according to legend, long ago there was a race even closer to the gods, and some say THESE creatures made the Hylians." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "He has been researching the Oocca, who are said to be the ancestors of the Hylians." — Rusl (Twilight Princess)
- "When they created the people of Hylia, they simultaneously created a new capital, a city that floated in the heavens. They dwelt there...and some scholars believe that this race lives there still, somewhere in the great sky." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "Among the legends of my clan, there is a story from the time when the Oocca still maintained contact with the royal family. Yes, it said that a mysterious rod was handed down from the people of the sky, and it was called the Dominion Rod... The rod was only to be carried by the messenger to the heavens when the royal family needed to communicate with the Oocca. From generation to generation, my ancestors have guarded the book that, by royal decree, was to be given to the messenger to the heavens." — Impaz (Twilight Princess)