|Other media||Oracle of Ages (Himekawa)|
|Use(s)||Produce Mystical Seeds|
Mystical Trees, also known as Mystical Seed Trees, are recurring objects in The Legend of Zelda series. They serve as warp destinations and can be found throughout Holodrum and Labrynna. Each Tree is named for the type of Mystical Seed it bears.
Location and Uses
Mystical Trees take centuries to reach maturity from the seedling stage. When fully grown, the tree's foliage mimics its seed in shape. In Oracle of Seasons, each Mystical Tree only produces seeds during a specific season. The Mystery and Gale Trees produce seeds in summer, Scent Trees produce in spring, and Pegasus Trees, in autumn. Oddly enough, Ember Trees produce seeds in winter.
Link merely needs to swipe at the seeds with his sword to harvest them from the tree. He cannot obtain any seeds without having first acquired a Seed Satchel. Once harvested, a tree won't produce seeds for a while. With the exception of Ember Seeds—which come with the satchel—Mystical Seeds are first obtained from their respective trees. Afterwards, they can be obtained through other means (killing enemies, lifting jars, cutting grass, etc.). Whenever Link comes across a tree for the first time, it becomes a warp point; Link can use Gale Seeds to travel back to it whenever he pleases.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, there are eight Mystical Trees in total. The majority of them exist in the past and disappear in the present; Mystery Trees and Pegasus Trees become extinct altogether. A couple of trees appear uniquely in the present. The Ember Tree south of Lynna City and the Gale Tree above Zora Village survive through the ages and exist in both the past and the present. In one case, Link gets to plant a Scent Tree in the past on Crescent Island. The Scent Seedling, obtained by completing the Wild Tokay challenge, must be planted in the "tree nursery" on the island. When Link returns to the present, the tree will be fully grown and so he can harvest its Scent Seeds. He can only warp to the tree in the present time period.
After the completion of Skull Dungeon in a Linked Game, an old woman with the Clock Shop Secret appears next to the Ember Tree south of Lynna City. After completing the following dungeon, Crown Dungeon, a Subrosian appears next to the Mystery Tree on Rolling Ridge in the past. This character will tell Link the Smith Secret.
Oracle of Seasons
Mystical Trees are less numerous in Oracle of Seasons as there are only six of them in total. There are two Gale Trees; the rest are the only trees of their kind in all of Holodrum. These Mystical Trees differ from their Labrynnian kin in that they each produce seeds during a different season. Scent, Pegasus, and Ember Trees produce seeds in spring, autumn, and winter respectively. Both Mystery and Gale Trees produce seeds in summer.
- Even though they appear to be deciduous, Mystical Trees do not shed their leaves in winter in Oracle of Seasons. In fact, it seems they don't enter any kind of dormancy during the winter season despite the lack of warmth, as Ember Trees produce seeds exclusively in winter.
- The name "Mystical Seed Tree" (i.e. "Scent Seed Tree," "Mystery Seed Tree," "Ember Seed Tree," etc.) comes from the Official Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo Power. "Scent Tree" is the term used by a Tokay in Oracle of Ages, and this is the only instance in both Oracle games when any of the trees are named. The manual also uses the terms "Mystical Tree," "Scent Tree," "Ember Tree," etc.
Oracle of Ages
The Ember Tree south of Lynna City
The first Mystery Tree, located in Deku Forest
The second Mystery Tree, located on Rolling Ridge
The first Scent Tree, located on Crescent Island
The second Scent Tree, located in Ambi's Palace
The first Gale Tree, located in Symmetry Village
The second Gale Tree, found above Zora Village
The Pegasus Tree on Rolling Ridge
Oracle of Seasons
The Ember Tree during Winter in Horon Village
The Scent Tree during Spring in North Horon
The Pegasus Tree during Autumn in Spool Swamp
The Mystery Tree during Summer in the Woods of Winter
The first Gale Tree during Summer in the Sunken City
The second Gale Tree during Summer in the Tarm Ruins
- The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Official Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 5
- "There was a Scent Tree here long ago. If you planted a seedling now, it would take hundreds of years to grow." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "Mystical Trees / These are trees that bear the magical Mystical Seeds and act as warp points when using Gale Seeds." (Oracle of Ages manual, pg. 23)
- "This is our precious tree nursery. They say a Scent Tree was planted here long ago. If I had a seedling, I'd plant it here." — Tokay (Oracle of Ages)
- "It grew! It grew! It grew! The seed Raven gave me sprouted!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 71)
- "Hey! I know her! Roperi!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 80)
- "... Oh, he's still with that guy... Ungh!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 80)
- "Don't touch it! This is your fault!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 80)
- "Look, Roperi! It's all right! See? I'm not sure what I did... But I'm sorry." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 81)
- "My tree sprout is taller than the tower!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 87)
- "Roperi, are you still staring at that plant?... Oh, there's a bud!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 118)
- "I hope dad comes home in time to see the flower blossom." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 118)
- "Rise, Ramrock... Crush that village!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 127)
- "Stop! Stay off our field! Don't step on it!" (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 129)
- "Link, this is a young Mystery Tree. It will grow Mystery Seeds." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 154)
- "You forget, I'm the Oracle of Ages. Time is mine to control." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 154)
- "... Demons that possess people can't stand Mystery Seeds." (Oracle of Ages (Himekawa) (VIZ Media), pg. 123)