Mysterious Ponds are locations in A Link to the Past They are crucial during Link's quest. There are two Mysterious Ponds: one in the Light World known as the Waterfall of Wishing, and another one in the Dark World situated at the base of the Pyramid of Power. Both ponds have the same appearance from the inside, and they also house a Great Fairy within who will upgrade certain items of Link's inventory. The fairy asking a question about an item dropped into the water and giving a better item in return for an honest answer resembles the story, The Honest Woodman.
Features and Overview
The Mysterious Pond of the Waterfall of Wishing is home to Venus's friend, but it can only be reached after Link has received the Zora's Flippers from King Zora in Zora's River. Hidden behind a waterfall, Link can throw in a Boomerang, Bottle, and a Fighter's Shield to receive the Magical Boomerang, Medicine of Magic, and the Red Shield from the Great Fairy, respectively, only if the young hero answers the fairy's question honestly.
The other pond located in the Dark World contains the Cursed Fairy that will bestow upon Link the Silver Arrows necessary to truly defeat Ganon. She will also upgrade Link's Master Sword or Tempered Sword to the ultimate weapon: the Golden Sword. The only way to access this Mysterious Pond is by blowing up the entrance using the Super Bomb. Once Link meets her, she mentions that her current cursed form is caused by Ganon's evil power, and urges Link to defeat him.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Italian||Pozzo del Mistero||Pond of Mystery|
- "-Mysterious Pond- Won't you throw something in? What will you do? Throw an item/Don't try it" — N/A (A Link to the Past)
- "Whoa... I saw her. A very nice young lady at the Waterfall Of Wishing in the hills where the river begins... Link, you should meet her at least once. I'm sure you will like her." — A man in Kakariko Village (A Link to the Past)
- "I cannot grant any more wishes for you, but a friend of mine might be able to... She lives in the Waterfall Of Wishing near Zora's lake. I will return your Rupees to you. May you be happy..." — Venus (A Link to the Past)
- "Hello there. Did you drop this? I like an honest person. I will give you something better in return." — Great Fairy (A Link to the Past)
- "I know I don't quite have the figure of a faerie. Ganon's cruel power is to blame! You must defeat Ganon!" — Cursed Fairy (A Link to the Past)