Odd Mushroom artwork from Ocarina of Time
|Other media||Ancient Stone Tablets|
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Mushrooms are a recurring item in The Legend of Zelda series.
A Link to the Past
In Link's Awakening, the Sleepy Toadstool is found in the Mysterious Woods. It can be given to the Witch to be made into Magic Powder. The Sleepy Toadstool can cause unusual effects when eaten. Tarin, who has a fondness for mushrooms, had eaten one while at the Mysterious Woods and was transformed into a raccoon. Link uses the Magic Powder to turn him back to normal.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Odd Mushroom is part of the Trading Sequence. The Young Punk Guy gives the mushroom to Link in exchange for Cojiro. The mushroom is then to be delivered to the Old Hag in Kakariko Village to be made into the Odd Potion. The Odd Mushroom goes bad after three minutes (or instantly after warping).
In Majora's Mask, a Magic Mushroom's scent can be detected with the Mask of Scents and stored in an empty Bottle. They can be found behind a Deku Baba in the Southern Swamp; in the Woods of Mystery; and inside the Stock Pot Inn, on Gorman's bed (cannot be collected while Gorman is sleeping there) and in the restroom (cannot be collected while ??? is there). They reappear when Link leaves the area.
The Magic Mushrooms can be sold to the Magic Hags' Potion Shop for 40 Rupees each; at least one must be delivered during that cycle before Blue Potions can be purchased there. They can also be sold to the Curiosity Shop for 5 Rupees each.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Seasons, a Mushroom appears as a Trading Sequence item. Using the Megaphone, Link can wake up Talon in a cave atop Mt. Cucco. In exchange for waking him, Talon offers Link a Mushroom, which can in turn be given to Syrup in Sunken City in exchange for the Wooden Bird.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, the Wake-Up Mushroom is required for Link to obtain the Pegasus Boots. It is bought from Syrup the Witch at the price of 60 Rupees. It is then given to Rem, the owner of Rem's Shoe Store, waking him up. In return, Link will receive the Pegasus Boots.
In Skyward Sword, mushrooms can be found in the Faron Woods, Deep Woods, Skyview Temple, and on certain islands in The Sky. Link can slash them with his Sword to produce Mushroom Spores, which can be stored in Bottles and used to heal Loftwings. Glittering mushrooms can also be found, which produce Glittering Spores than can also be stored in Bottles. They produce different kind of effects when used on items and enemies.
- In Link's Awakening, the Mushroom is one of many Mario references. When Tarin (who bears resemblance to Mario, and also shares his love of mushrooms) eats one, he turns into a raccoon, which may be a reference to Mario's Raccoon or Tanooki transformations.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||あやしいキノコ (Ayashii Kinoko) ||Bewitching Mushroom|
|French|| Champignon Suspect
| Dubious Mushroom|
|FrenchCA||Champignon magique (MM3D)|
| Mold Mushroom|
|Spanish||Seta Mágica||Magic Mushroom|
|SpanishLA|| Seta durimente (LA)
Champiñón mágico (MM3D)
| Sleeping mushroom|
- "Sleepy Mushroom: This is but one of the many types of mushrooms that grow in the fine tropical climate of Koholint Island. Witches use this mushroom as an ingredient for magic powder. Eating this mushroom, or any other, without the advice of an expert is not recommended." (Link's Awakening manual, pg. 17)
- "The last thing I kin remember was bitin' into a big juicy toadstool... Then, I had the darndest dream... I was a raccoon! Yeah, sounds strange but it sure was fun!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening)
- "Sniff, sniff!!! That scent!!! Ya've got a Mushroom! I'll trade my Wooden Bird!" — Syrup (Oracle of Seasons)
- "→ Rock Mushrooms (Petri Fungus) Pick in fall only." — Sign (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ah, yes! A fine choice, my dear! That's a limited-time article! One whiff, and you're wide-awake! That is why it's called a wake-up mushroom! Would you like to buy it for 60 Rupees?" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "You got a wake-up mushroom! Its nasty stench chases away the sleepies!" — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "Heheheh... Just face the sleepy snoozer and press [R]... That'll pop his eyes right open! POP!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)