A Mountain Doe in Breath of the Wild
Lanayru Great Spring
Hyrule Compendium Entry
A Mountain Doe is a large female deer covered in shaggy brown fur speckled with light spots along the back. It is a quadruped that stands on thin, muscular legs, each one ending in a cloven hoof. The Doe’s face has drab fur running down its snout and thick brows of the same color above its small, beady eyes. Its rear and tail are covered in fluffy white fur that appear prominent when the Doe is running.
Mountain Doe are female counterparts to Mountain Bucks. They can be distinguished from by by their lack of antlers and drab-colored chests. Doe can be found throughout deciduous areas in Hyrule, usually in the presence of a Buck, suggesting they are maintained in harems. The Hyrule Compendium notes Hyrule Field and the Lanayru Great Spring as areas where Mountain Doe are common, but in actuality they are native to most regions, including Faron and Akkala. Despite their size, Mountain Doe are skittish animals with very sensitive ears: the slightest detection of sound causes them to freeze in place before abruptly running away. When idle, Doe can be seen grazing and may even lie down to rest. They have a preference for apples and tend to drop their guard when eating them.
If Link is stealthy enough, he may be able to mount and ride a Mountain Doe as if it were a wild horse. Though fast, their utility is limited and they cannot be registered at the stables. A successful hunts on Mountain Doe supplies Link with Raw Prime Meat, but their skittishness makes this difficult. The challenge is made most apparent in the Deer Hunting minigame maintained by Dantz, found south of Hateno Village. When Link completes this minigame, Dantz will award him with Rupees.
- The Mountain Doe is one of nine rideable animals in Breath of the Wild, with the other eight being the Horse, the Giant Horse, the White Horse, the Lord of the Mountain, the Mountain Buck, the Stalhorse, the Honeyvore Bear, and the Grizzlemaw Bear.
- Of these mounts, the Mountain Doe is one of six that cannot be registered at the stables.
- The Mountain Doe and the Mountain Buck are the only creatures to have gender-specific entries in the Hyrule Compendium.
- The Mountain Doe strikingly resembles and is likely based on the female elk, a large forest-dwelling deer with massive antlers.
|Names in Other Regions|
|French||Biche des montagnes||Mountain Doe|
|Italian||Cerva montana||Mountain Doe|
|Spanish||Cierva montesa||Mountain Doe|
- "They're very timid animals by nature, but they tend to let their guard down when eating apples, a favorite food." — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)