Location and Uses
A Link to the Past
The Moon Pearl is a shining gem which protects Link from Ganon's magic, allowing him to retain his normal shape while in the Dark World. Other humans entering the Dark World are transformed into shapes which reflect their "True Nature", or personality. This is shown by the pair of men on Death Mountain, as well as Link himself. The Bully is transformed into a demon-like creature because of his devilish nature, and the Bully's Friend turned into a ball because he could never make up his mind. Link's "true nature" is represented by a pink rabbit. The Moon Pearl can be found in the Tower of Hera.
Four Swords Adventures
Moon Pearls are mysterious gems that are used to activate Moon Gates in Four Swords Adventures. In the game, they are said to guide their users into the Dark World, which is true as Moon Gates are used to access the Dark World.
Unlike their predecessor in A Link to the Past, there appear to be more than one Moon Pearl, and while their functions also seem to differ, they are both related to the Dark World. They are sometimes given to the Links, who have the distinct ability to sense Moon Gates, by civilians in hope of being saved. In dungeons, they're often found in Treasure Chests and are usually required to solve certain puzzles.
When a Moon Pearl is brought near an inactivate Moon Gate, the Moon Pearl will glow as well. If brought too close, the Moon Pearl will burst, and a Moon Gate will appear. Because of this, each Moon Pearl can only be used once, forcing Link to find a new Moon Pearl for each Moon Gate.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ムーンパール (Mūn Pāru)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Perle de Lune|
|SpanishEU||Perla de la Luna||Same as English.|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 132 (ALttP | FSA)
- "You found the Moon Pearl! This protects The Hero from the transforming effects of the Golden Power" — After obtaining the Moon Pearl (A Link to the Past)
- "The Moon Pearl: A jewel that repels magic. It protects the bearer from the evil power of the Demon King who controls the Dark World, and prevents any transformation to the bearer when they cross into the Dark World from the Light World." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 95)
- "You got a Moon Pearl! This mysterious gem guides its bearer into the Dark World." — N/A (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Incredible! You can sense the Moon Gates? ...Then perhaps you can save our village! Then take this Moon Pearl!" — Old Man (Four Swords Adventures)