Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Official artwork of the Moon Pearl
|Use(s)||Allows Link to retain his normal form in the Dark World|
Activate Moon Gates
Appearances, Location and Uses
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, the Moon Pearl is a shining gem which protects Link from Ganon's magic, allowing him to retain his normal shape while in the Dark World. Other humans entering the Dark World are transformed into shapes which reflect their "True Nature", or personality. This is shown by the pair of men on Death Mountain, as well as Link himself. The Bully is transformed into a demon-like creature because of his devilish nature, and the Bully's Friend turned into a ball because he could never make up his mind. Link's "true nature" is apparently a cute little pink bunny rabbit, probably due to his kindness and compassion. The Moon Pearl can be found in the Tower of Hera.
Four Sword Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, the Moon Pearl is a mysterious gem which is used to activate Moon Gates. In the game, they are said to guide its user into the Dark World, which is true since Moon Gates are used to access the Dark World.
Unlike its predecessor in A Link to the Past, there appears to be more than one Moon Pearl, and while its function also seem to differs, they are both related to the Dark World. They are sometimes given to the Links, who have the distinct ability to sense Moon Gates, by civilians in hope of being saved. In dungeons, they're often found in chests and are usually required to solve a certain puzzle.
When a Moon Pearl is brought nearby a unactivated Moon Gate, which is recognized by giving off a radiant glimmer, the pearl will glow as well. If brought too close, the Moon Pearl will burst, and a Moon Gate will appear. Because of this, each Moon Pearl can only be used once, forcing Link to find a new Moon Pearl for each new Moon Gate.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ムーンパール (Mūn Pāru)||Moon Pearl|
|FrenchEU||Perle de Lune|
|SpanishEU||Perla de la Luna||Moon Pearl|
- "Moon Pearl" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 393 (ALttP&FS))
- "You found the Moon Pearl! This protects The Hero from the transforming effects of the Golden Power" — After obtaining the Moon Pearl (A Link to the Past)
- "The Moon Pearl: A jewel that repels magic. It protects the bearer from the evil power of the Demon King who controls the Dark World, and prevents any transformation to the bearer when they cross into the Dark World from the Light World." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 95)
- "You got a Moon Pearl! This mysterious gem guides its bearer into the Dark World." — After obtaining a Moon Pearl (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Incredible! You can sense the Moon Gates? ...Then perhaps you can save our village! Then take this Moon Pearl!" — Old Man outside the Village of the Blue Maiden (Four Swords Adventures)